Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Ross to pay for "substantially all" of the modernization of Sun Life?

1. -141
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The worst thing about this proposal is its raising a tax that already goes towards the stadium in the first place . He supposedly spent 250 million in upgrading a few years ago, now he wants 400 million(200 million from us). So in 5 more years I guess we will be hit up for another 200 million. All this crap about competing with Santa Clara who is also being extorted unmercifully from NFL.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2013/0...han-its-worth/

Santa Clara officials this week began weighing whether the city can still make money from a Super Bowl and related events after stomaching a new list of financial demands from the NFL — including giving up huge chunks of tax revenue…
    Essentially, the NFL wants to lease the $1.2 billion Santa Clara stadium and the surrounding area — possibly including the Santa Clara Convention Center, a nearby soccer park and parking lots — for Super Bowl week at a much cheaper rate than normal, [City Attorney Ren] Nosky said. The league also wants other concessions, including possible tax breaks or a portion of the tax revenues received from hotels or other venues during the events…
    NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Thursday that the league also requires host cities to forego sales tax charges on Super Bowl game tickets, which are typically very pricey. Other host cities have exempted the NFL and its employees from taxes on visits and sales during the Super Bowl.
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

2. -142
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm trying to figure out how 51% is "substantially all".
    Quote Quote  

3. -143
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Heilbrunn View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how 51% is "substantially all".
    Well just a twist, Anyone wanna help me buy a steak I will substantially pay a portion
    Quote Quote  

4. -144
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    Great post. The 12th man aspect is really all I care about. It's frankly hard to believe that simultaneously we have discussion about a meaner logo making us play better, while we're content to pony up at the same bland facility that has proven to be a visitor's delight for 25 years. I'm more than content to wade through all the veiled threats and fear for another 5-10 years until somebody actually gets it, perhaps Ross himself.

How inept was this design, if it required $250 million merely a few years ago and now another $400 million? From afar we'd be laughing like hell but since it's our own we scramble to justify it. On the cable channels they rant about protecting our children and grandchildren. Here's an opportunity. Build a visionary 50 year building, utilizing known variables in home field impact, along with luxury boxes and all the goodies, instead of spending half as much on troweling a soul free dump toward a life extension of 25-30 years. You're saddling the next generation with a bill that shouldn't have to be contemplated until two generations from now, with any vision. Besides, you know darn well we'll be compromising every step of the way under the current plan. Nothing will be ideal or ultra modern, but merely what fits given realities of the current structure. I said current plan at one point. Mike Dee conceded they are open to other versions. That's how rock solid confident they are in the design. Keep in mind this same brain trust had no idea the stadium was lacking at all until Roger Goodell tapped them on the shoulder a few years ago and said no more Super Bowls. Three years ago they thought Super Bowls would be rolling in every 5 years. Now they play the fear card and hint at franchise relocation without hundreds of millions in taxpayer cash.

One aspect that is being overlooked here is the preoccupation with soccer. I mentioned that in my post not long after the announcement. We can't pretend to be serious about fans as close as possible to the field if it's still wide enough to accommodate international soccer. I'm a soccer fan. But how many games are we talking about? There's no prospect of a major men's soccer league playing in a stadium of that size and it would be a joke to think about a women's league. If the patchwork extends the lifespan of the stadium another 25-30 years that means the prospect of exactly one World Cup making it to the United States within that frame. In soccer there's no chance the United States earns two bids in quick succession, the Los Angeles and Atlanta Summer Games in 1984 and 1996. There could be a women's World Cup. Maybe two, if I want to be kind. Possible Olympic soccer. Certainly you could host friendlies and World Cup qualifiers. But overall it's a spattering of games, not enough to justify the extra 8-12 feet worth of open space on each side, seating and noise that could enhance Dolphin and Canes prospects in a combined 350+ games over 25 years. I'm suspicious that Ross and Dee understand the makeup of the county commissioners they are trying to woo, and that dangling soccer means more to them along those lines than hosting the soccer matches themselves.
    I think there is a lot of truth to this and its very depressing, we need to hope they are planning to use retractable bleachers for the soccer events at the very least.
    Quote Quote  

5. -145
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    The worst thing about this proposal is its raising a tax that already goes towards the stadium in the first place . He supposedly spent 250 million in upgrading a few years ago, now he wants 400 million(200 million from us). So in 5 more years I guess we will be hit up for another 200 million. All this crap about competing with Santa Clara who is also being extorted unmercifully from NFL.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2013/0...han-its-worth/

Santa Clara officials this week began weighing whether the city can still make money from a Super Bowl and related events after stomaching a new list of financial demands from the NFL — including giving up huge chunks of tax revenue…
    Essentially, the NFL wants to lease the $1.2 billion Santa Clara stadium and the surrounding area — possibly including the Santa Clara Convention Center, a nearby soccer park and parking lots — for Super Bowl week at a much cheaper rate than normal, [City Attorney Ren] Nosky said. The league also wants other concessions, including possible tax breaks or a portion of the tax revenues received from hotels or other venues during the events…
    NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Thursday that the league also requires host cities to forego sales tax charges on Super Bowl game tickets, which are typically very pricey. Other host cities have exempted the NFL and its employees from taxes on visits and sales during the Super Bowl.
    How are they going to pay for the waterpark?
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote  

6. -146
    Running @ 24 FPS

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Halo LegendaryBatman logoXbox LogoCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    Ross is prepared to pay for "substantially all" of the freight of this modernization as long as his government partners begin helping him with the cost of running the facility.
    Tell that to the Miami Marlins fans...

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    fans will always pay, whether up front or down the road- we always pay.
    Quote Quote  

7. -147
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    I think there is a lot of truth to this and its very depressing, we need to hope they are planning to use retractable bleachers for the soccer events at the very least.
    A couple things on the soccer piece. First, just because the field allows for a soccer pitch doesn't mean the seats won't be close enough for football games. CentureyLink Field in Seattle and Gillete in Foxboro both house MLS teams. Nobody complains about their sideline width. Also, the Ravens stadium hosted a game between Liverpool and Spurs this summer. All these are FIFA regulation sized pitches. The thing with Dolphin Stadium is not that it is wide enough for soccer, it is that it was wide enough for baseball

Having said all that I agree that this soccer thing is total BS and is just bait. For starters we're not getting another World Cup in the US in the next 25 years. FIFA has made it clear that we aren't their favorite. Future World Cups have already been awarded through 2022. This "new" Dolphin Stadium would "open" in 2015. So the next World Cup that the US could even bid on would be 2026 and the stadium would only have a shelf life of 14 years at that point. 2026, 2030, 2034, and 2038 are the only World Cups in play for this stadium. That is four. Off the top of my head I think England and Spain would get to host before the USA does. FIFA will probably go back to Asia again too. The World Cup isn't in the cards. Also, MLS will never play in a stadium that size. They are going toward Soccer Specific Stadiums. World Cup qualifiers? Same. USA home qualifiers are played in MLS soccer specific stadiums. Maybe the Gold Cup would come here, but I doubt the USA would be playing their games here. Sun Life is already suitable for summer friendlies. We've gotten Barca, Milan, and Chelsea to all come here in the last two years. Those are good draws and we don't need these upgrades to keep getting quality European sides to play here for the soccer folks during the summer.
    Quote Quote  

8. -148
    Running @ 24 FPS

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Well there is no guarantee that Miami would get no superbowls since we got one as recent as 2010 . Poor local support can be attributed to the team he has built as owner because there has been a drastic drop in attendence not some long term issue. If he wants to foot a majority of the real bill not some phantom number that is just spoken, then maybe the taxpayers might support some public money but in reality the taxpayers need to start sending a message to the very profitable nfl that it needs to start footing its own bill.
    Sadly Dlockz, the NFL has already stated that South Florida will not host any Super Bowls until renovations/upgrades have been made/finished.

To quote my good friend Champ Kind, "And that's a scientific fact"
    Quote Quote  

9. -149
    Running @ 24 FPS

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmarino110 View Post
    also I hate our fans in the stands...Most of them dont want to stand up, even on 3rd down...if you are too old or to dignified to the point that you cant get up and yell on 3rd then how is putting a few hundred more people closer to the field going to give us better home field advantage...
    It gets a little frustrating when you're getting yelled at to sit down for half of the game.... NO, YOU STAND UP!
    Quote Quote  

10. -150
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JRM72180 View Post
    Why not take that money and put it toward a new stadium?
    Your talkin a big difference in money plus sun life is only 25 years young just a baby. So we dont need a whole new stadium.
    Quote Quote