Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My letter to Congress

1. -1
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks

My letter to Congress

I posted this to Facebook and it was a big hit so I wanted to share:

I wanted to personally thank congress for taking action to prevent further mass shootings and gun violence by banning assault weapons and magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. It's refreshing to see Washington finally trying to get meaningful laws passed.

As Senator Feinstein has pointed out, nobody needs an assault rifle for hunting or other legal use. I would like to recommend taking similar action against an equally dangerous product: sports cars.

Dangerous sports cars and motorcycles kill thousands of people every month. Similarly to semi automatic weaponry, nobody (besides police) needs a car that is able to exceed 70 miles per hour. That is the highest posted speed limit in the US and so making vehicles that can exceed this speed is just asking for people to break the law and drive recklessly.

Why does anyone need this kind of speed? Not only are these people breaking the law, they are endangering everyone else on the road around them. On top of these obvious risks, these high horsepower engines are also polluting at a higher rate than normal engines used by responsible commuters everywhere.

I ask that you please consider banning the sale and manufacture of all vehicles over 100 horsepower and all vehicles with an average fuel economy below 30 MPG. You can grandfather in the current cars but must prevent the sale of these death machines. No more innocent children should be killed by these ridiculous contraptions that have no place in reality. These car owners are just living in a childish fantasy world where they think that they might one day need to break the speed limit.

I demand a plan of action to curb the senseless car related deaths that claimed 32000 lives last year. I dont know how many of these deaths are actually attributable to sports cars but, as has been made clear in our plan to reduce gun deaths, that little piece of information really isn't important. America's selfish sports car culture must face the facts. I'm currently recruiting celebrities to make an emotional YouTube video.

After this, I think the next target should be to ban the sale and manufacture of all high calorie soft drinks but alas, let's take this one step at a time. There are 300 million people in this country today and I'm blessed to live in a country where my lawmakers know what's best for each and every one of us. Personal accountability is all well and good but any time that our lawmakers in DC can make us safer by restricting our rights, it truly is a great thing.

Best Regards,

Spyder
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: My letter to Congress

Pretty funny stuff but all too true. BTW, we can do 85 mph on a few roads here in Texas! Mostly diesel pick-ups and SUV's though, not many sports cars...they look too scary, no one "needs" one, and no one should have one anyway! :P

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    The World Is Yours

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tallahassee
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Very well written. Ill be anxious to see any one try and refute this.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We can do 75 mph on highway I-10 here in Arizona....

I know there are some 85's in other states....
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Just looked in Wiki and here is page listing all posted speed limit... Speed limit of 85 is the highest in America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_l..._United_States
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

My letter to Congress

Quote Originally Posted by spydertl79 View Post
    I posted this to Facebook and it was a big hit so I wanted to share:

I wanted to personally thank congress for taking action to prevent further mass shootings and gun violence by banning assault weapons and magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. It's refreshing to see Washington finally trying to get meaningful laws passed.

As Senator Feinstein has pointed out, nobody needs an assault rifle for hunting or other legal use. I would like to recommend taking similar action against an equally dangerous product: sports cars.

Dangerous sports cars and motorcycles kill thousands of people every month. Similarly to semi automatic weaponry, nobody (besides police) needs a car that is able to exceed 70 miles per hour. That is the highest posted speed limit in the US and so making vehicles that can exceed this speed is just asking for people to break the law and drive recklessly.

Why does anyone need this kind of speed? Not only are these people breaking the law, they are endangering everyone else on the road around them. On top of these obvious risks, these high horsepower engines are also polluting at a higher rate than normal engines used by responsible commuters everywhere.

I ask that you please consider banning the sale and manufacture of all vehicles over 100 horsepower and all vehicles with an average fuel economy below 30 MPG. You can grandfather in the current cars but must prevent the sale of these death machines. No more innocent children should be killed by these ridiculous contraptions that have no place in reality. These car owners are just living in a childish fantasy world where they think that they might one day need to break the speed limit.

I demand a plan of action to curb the senseless car related deaths that claimed 32000 lives last year. I dont know how many of these deaths are actually attributable to sports cars but, as has been made clear in our plan to reduce gun deaths, that little piece of information really isn't important. America's selfish sports car culture must face the facts. I'm currently recruiting celebrities to make an emotional YouTube video.

After this, I think the next target should be to ban the sale and manufacture of all high calorie soft drinks but alas, let's take this one step at a time. There are 300 million people in this country today and I'm blessed to live in a country where my lawmakers know what's best for each and every one of us. Personal accountability is all well and good but any time that our lawmakers in DC can make us safer by restricting our rights, it truly is a great thing.

Best Regards,

Spyder
    SMH. Tell me something, how many cold blooded killers have you heard about that used cars to kill people? I haven't heard of any crazed killers that used sport cars to go out and deliberately kill people. Cars serve a necessary purpose in today's world and unfortunately there will be people killed due to their nature. Oh, you don't need to go 70 miles an hour to kill people with a car, a lower speed will do the trick.

So now maybe you should have another letter into congress about electricity and how it also kills people each year, lets ban electricity. Also, lets ban processed food due to those food poisonings we have had. Lets ban planes, all chemicals, because people have died from them. Lets ban tvs and pcs because Americans are now coach potatoes and are dying because of obesity etc. etc. A common theme for all those is that their function is not to kill people, it's just the risk you take with the technology.

Guns, on the other hand, serve one purpose and that is to kill. Whether it be animal or human it's main purpose is to kill. To draw the completely and utterly bull**** argument that you posted would shame the intelligence of a monkey. Where the **** do you come up with this utter horse ****?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1. People have used cars as murder weapons before, both to run people over and as a means of delivering bombs. This would also ban moving vans such as the ones used in the OKC and WTC bombings.
    2. If guns are only used to kill, then why have less than 1% of gun owners used their guns to kill? Have the other 99% never used their firearms? I've used my gun many times and have never even pointed it at someone while loaded.
    3. Your third paragraph just proves my point further, thank you.
    4. Your point about the 70mph limit also proves my point. Just as banning assault weapons won't prevent gun deaths, banning cars that go fast won't prevent auto deaths
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think I'm buying an AK today, if so Ill post pics for you Irish
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's in the Bill Of Rights Irish. Get over it.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boynton Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by irish fin fan View Post
    SMH. Tell me something, how many cold blooded killers have you heard about that used cars to kill people? I haven't heard of any crazed killers that used sport cars to go out and deliberately kill people. Cars serve a necessary purpose in today's world and unfortunately there will be people killed due to their nature. Oh, you don't need to go 70 miles an hour to kill people with a car, a lower speed will do the trick.

So now maybe you should have another letter into congress about electricity and how it also kills people each year, lets ban electricity. Also, lets ban processed food due to those food poisonings we have had. Lets ban planes, all chemicals, because people have died from them. Lets ban tvs and pcs because Americans are now coach potatoes and are dying because of obesity etc. etc. A common theme for all those is that their function is not to kill people, it's just the risk you take with the technology.

Guns, on the other hand, serve one purpose and that is to kill. Whether it be animal or human it's main purpose is to kill. To draw the completely and utterly bull**** argument that you posted would shame the intelligence of a monkey. Where the **** do you come up with this utter horse ****?
    I don't think you understood his point. Ill try to make it first grade. His point is he likes his gun just as Others like corvettes. If you don't like one or the other it's simple don't buy one. The government banned kid fries from McDonald's too .. Wtf is with this world.
    Quote Quote