Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Source: Dolphins expected to retain entire coaching staff for 2013

1. -31
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Personally I wouldn't criticize the DBs Coach. He got Sean Smith the best year of his career, got Reshad Jones to a near pro bowl level, even made Chris Clemons look more solid than he really is, and had a bunch of injured and waiver wire guys at the other corner spots yet made it work. That's the last place I would look.

But what about Jim Turner? Jake Long had the worst year he's had as a pro even before he got hurt. Jon Martin was a weakness the whole year and didn't progress. Did we really get anything out of Mike Pouncey that we weren't already expecting, or John Jerry or Richie Incognito for that matter?

What about the WRs Coach? Brian Hartline had a great year but Davone Bess only had an average year for him and everyone else was absolute garbage. How does Legedu Naanee stay a starter under this guy for as long as he did? And it should be noted that Brian Hartline missed practically the entire off season and training camp, so that would cast a little bit of a shadow on the idea that our WRs Coach's coaching and development of Hartline led him to this success.

What about the TEs Coach? Anthony Fasano had a below average year for him, Charles Clay never took the next step, and Michael Egnew was buried. Why should we assume the 1st year tight ends coach who said Pat Devlin is the next Tony Romo, is actually good at his job?

What about the QBs Coach?
    I don't think you fire a position coach at the end of the his first season with a new team, unless he was just unable to fulfill expectations altogether, but I would expect Philbin, or any HC for that matter, to evaluate what they did right and wrong and come up with an improvement plan regardless. That said, I did have some issues with the OLine as that Philbin and Turner seemed Hell bent on changing to new schemes with guys that were drafted or brought in for a different, more power straight ahead, type run blocking. The struggles we seemed to see from guys, whether being confused on blocking assignments, or unable to complete them, could be attributed to this.

Dan Campbell should know his job as TE coach after 11 years of playing and winning a ring with the Saints. I wouldn't dock him for saying that Devlin reminds him of Romo a little. ;-)

The QBs coach is Sherman's son in law. Nepotism, aye. That said, he should still be judged on his own merit by Philbin. Doubt he is leaving before Sherman though. If anything he would move to a "quality control" type position or something if there was a change.. lol...
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    con∑ti∑nu∑i∑ty

Quote Quote  

3. -33
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by state06 View Post
    con∑ti∑nu∑i∑ty

Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Casas9425 View Post
    GM's and coaches should be hired and fired together. Otherwise you'll have a situation like what happened to us in 2011 and the Jets this year with a bunch of guys pointing fingers at each other. Plus a quality GM will not want to work with Philbin, he'll want his own guy.
    in some cases yes.

I know you're one of the biggest Ireland haters out there, but under the scenario presented above, would you be okay with firing Ireland after a 10-6 season missing the playoffs AND getting rid of Phillbin in order for the next GM to choose his own coach, assuming the new GM thinks Philbin should go.
    http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/rex-ryan-foot.jpg

currently the 19th ranked competitive eater in the world
    http://www.ifoce.com/rankings.php
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Casas9425 View Post
    GM's and coaches should be hired and fired together. Otherwise you'll have a situation like what happened to us in 2011 and the Jets this year with a bunch of guys pointing fingers at each other. Plus a quality GM will not want to work with Philbin, he'll want his own guy.
    Panthers did it this year without changing the HC.

I think Philbin should be given another year after 2013, unless 2013 is Cam Cameron type bad.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Good.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Quote  

7. -37
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    https://twitter.com/BenVolinPBP/stat...22758128496640

As I mentioned in another thread a couple of weeks ago, this would be the first time in over a decade that an ENTIRE Dolphins coaching staff returns in full.
    Although Al Davis (RIP) in Oakland, and Matt Millen in Detroit have proved me wrong, Stability in the NFL is a VG thing.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Well, looks like there will be some "change" to the coaching staff after all. However it is more of a promotion than actual change.

Former CB Al Harris, a coaching intern with the #Dolphins in 2012, will be back next season as an Asst Defensive coach working with DBs
    https://twitter.com/BenVolinPBP/stat...98262470758400

Sounds like Lou Anarumo just got an official assistant coach to work under him.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phintim View Post
    Which coaches are not carrying their wieght in your opinion? Which ones to wish to be retained also?
    I'm not part of the staff, I can't tell you which are or are not. I can only say that the chances that all 15 of them or however many there are, especially given the results, are perfectly fine and dandy and there's no upgrades to be had...are kind of low.

It just strikes me as odd that players are dropped at a whim every year, and coaches are just assumed to be fine until a scapegoat is needed.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Al Harris has been killing it as a DBs Coach out there. Glad to see he's being retained.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Cutler Sucks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    Well, looks like there will be some "change" to the coaching staff after all. However it is more of a promotion than actual change.

Sounds like Lou Anarumo just got an official assistant coach to work under him.
    Didn't harris play some games with us a couple years ago?
    Quote Quote