Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Defense is not as important as offense anymore

1. -11
    old pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    windermere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    It has been that way for years now.

New England was smart early to recognize it before the rule changes proved it.

Defense still matters, but defense isn't played the same way that it once was due to the rule changes.

The NFL is a pass-first league and the rules are slanted in favor of that. Teams now have to adjust and it is becoming more and more difficult for defensive players to perform their craft the way that they know how.
    You wouldn't know it by the way they have drafted the last few yrs. BB usually goes defense in the 1st rd. (at least the last few yrs). He had 2 1st rd picks last yr and he went defense with both.
    If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would agree with the premise of this post from the standpoint that a team can win a Super Bowl with a great offense and no defense. The same cannot be said in the reverse due to the rule changes. So, it's an accurate statement. However, for me, it goes beyond that. In essence, this league is turning into a league dominated by a few positions. Obviously, it's a quarterback driven league. If you have one, and he has some weapons, you will be in every game. And since it's a quarterback driven league, what is important on defense are pass rushers who can impact the quarterback and elite safeties that cannot be thrown away from. That means your playmaking positions are qb, wr, te, de, and s. If you are good there then you will be a Super Bowl contender so long as you have guys that do their jobs and are not dumpster fires at every other position.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree with most of what you're saying. Today, its a lot easier for passing offenses, which I like. Offenses are dominating defenses as the tons of high scoring playoff games underline. Rare are the 13-10 defense dominated games.

Your analysis of the rule changes is spot on. But frankly, this thread kinda feels like a New Years Resolution for 2006. We brought in Philbin in precisely because of what he accomplished with the Green Bay offense.

In this FA and draft we have a lot of resources and our primary focus must be to surround Tannehill with pass catching talent that fits into Philbin's system. Ideally, that would be a veteran WR who can have been instant productivity and teach the young WR's. I see that person as Greg Jennings. Let him lead the WR corps on the field, in the locker room, and outside of the Dolphins facilities.

Then draft two highly talented WR's to learn under the veteran. It would be great to grab a top pass catching TE like Hertz or Eifert in the draft as well. So that's 4 new pass catchers to add to Hartline and maybe Fasano, with Bess filling in at the slot for injuries or until the rookies get up to speed.

Let's be realistic here, our defense was the worst in Miami Dolphins history at producing takeaways. So, our offense rarely has an easy scoring opportunity. We need a pass rusher or two, and at least one new DB. Somewhere we need to address those defensive needs and create more turnovers.

Washington brought in Garcon and Morgan to add to Santana Moss. They had a young TE. Indy brought in Hilton, Brazil, Avery, Allen and Fleener to add to ReggieWayne. Not too many years ago Seattle paid big money for Sidney Rice. Make no mistake about it, we will attempt to get Tannehill the receiving talent he lacks. Then we can start comparing apples to apples.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    While a agre with OP's point, it really is a double edged sword. You can't neglect one to favor the other. Are we really trying to match TD to TD with Brady by trying go offense heavy? I don't think that's a good idea.

by not upgrading pass rush and pass defense you'll get smoked each and every time against teams like New England. Now with that said, we desperatly need to upgrade our offense as well, focus more on play makers and to a degree less of a degree on offensive line (like in previous drafts). We need a balance on both sides, most offenses can't keep with high powered offenses like Brady, so the best way to combat that is with a solid defense to slow him down and have enough on Offense to get you over the hump.
    http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/rex-ryan-foot.jpg

currently the 19th ranked competitive eater in the world
    http://www.ifoce.com/rankings.php
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Both offense and defense are important to win. That's why we cannot just draft offense as some posts on other threads advocate. We have to get the defense to stop top tier tight ends and read option quarterbacks. Balance, please. We have to get play makers on offense (i.e., WR and TE). We have to get another good DB and better corners on defense. If we do not we will continue to get the same results we have been getting. Sub-0.500 seasons and no playoffs.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    VIPeezy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Clearly Defense comes second now. Anyone who disagrees hasn't been watching football. Baltimore is in the AFC Championship game because of their offense, not their great-turned-mediocre defense.

276 points were scored in 4 games last week. That's 69 ppg. The lowest scoring team put up 28 points. The NFL has turned into the CFL.
    Sig courtesy of @dolfan565

Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jlfin View Post
    You wouldn't know it by the way they have drafted the last few yrs. BB usually goes defense in the 1st rd. (at least the last few yrs). He had 2 1st rd picks last yr and he went defense with both.
    That's because the Patriots defense has been getting smoked the past couple of seasons. They're scrambling to repair it.

Quote Quote  

8. -18
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    All of the 4 remaining team rank in the top 12 in scoring and defensive scoring.

You have to have both if you expect to get to the big dance.

Also it goes in cycles.

2011 Giants #25 scoring d and Patriots #15 scoring d (supports Op argument)
    2010 packers #2 scoring d and Steelers #1 scoring D (goes against op argument)
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't think having a great defense is necessary to win in the NFL....the Patriots have proven this over the past 4-5 seasons. The Patriots nearly won the Superbowl last season with a defense that was ranked close to last in the NFL.....BUT, they did lost the Superbowl twice to the Giants, who had better defenses than the Patriots in the Big Game.

I think it is more important to have a great defense come playoff time, especially as the weather turns colder, as it is harder to just "outscore" your opponents. I think the best balanced team usually wins the Superbowl. I think the Patriot's defense has improved a great deal. I also look at a team like the 49ers, who are very nicely balanced.....great running game, decent passing game, can stop the run and pass on defense. I am picking the Niners to win the whole thing over the Patriots.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't think it's as simple as "let's ignore defensive needs and overload our offense" but I do agree no team can win with a mediocre offense, example in why you see Kaepernick playing instead of Smith.

However a great team is composed by drafting and signing for value. You don't reach for a receiver and bypass a DB because we need more offense. You play the cards you're dealt, and create value through FA and the draft. The Patriots wouldn't be where they were if they weren't dominating in the TO battle, and on that note EVERY team in the playoffs right now has a pretty good defense. Except the PACKERS (oops). No team's problems will be solved by simply ignoring defense, unless you already have a good one in place.
    Quote Quote