Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Defense is not as important as offense anymore

1. -31
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyndig View Post
    Look, regarding specific players, it's whomever the scouts rate the highest at those positions regarding WR and Tight End, and even O-line. Regarding investing early draft picks 4-1 offense vs defense I say damn right. Your method has given us nothing but mediocrity for well over a decade. Time to change with the times and do what it takes to bring some explosive playmakers in the passing game both in free agency, and young fellas to develop. You could basically resign Starks, add a cornerback or two and our defense would be solid enough to win. The Offense however needs almost a complete rebuild. So, rebuild it, don't muck about and make moves that are safe and that will only surely serve to make the team continue to wallow in mediocrity.

Regarding tight ends, I think we need to draft at least one of those guys with our early picks if they are available and well regarded by the scouts. We should also go after one in Free agency too, in other words, not one or the other, but both! Tight end needs to be significantly upgraded, receiver needs to be significantly upgraded, the o-line needs to be upgraded, draft and sign free agents at all of those positions. Draft and sign a cornerback in Free agency, maybe a pass rusher in free agency too, and we will be all set for next year after we sign our key free agents who we want to keep.

We need to completely change the model that we have been using to construct this unappealing collection of mediocrity that isn't suited to compete in todays NFL. Time to get out of the comfort zone and take some chances and make some moves with testicular fortitude. It's the only way we can transform this team into a consistent winner that can compete with any of those teams that made the playoffs this year. Go Fins!
    Totally agree with you on this especially about changing the model. It's a change of philosophy if you will. IMO Philbin is attempting to do that. Even the FO is to a degree with a new logo and overall look. I feel the organization is finally seeing this and are moving in a new direction.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    One word in this argument over Offense or Defense, it has held true over decades - balance.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matt11390 View Post
    I tend to agree with the OP by the way but it argue the other side Baltimore's defense only gave up 21 points at Denver against Manning. That's pretty good. It's only because of Denver's special teams they were in the game.
    A fair point, but the fact is one can't prove that Payton Manning wouldn't have still scored those points if he had been given a chance to have a drive on each of those possessions. Having said that, I would agree that it was the failure of the safety at the end that ultimately lost that game for them more than any other single play. The Interception never should've been thrown, but it never should've come to that. So of course, it is always good to have good players who can defend the pass and rush the passer.

I'm not saying that defense can't make a difference, because it can. My main point is that this team has been built with an emphasis on the front seven on defense, the oline which unfortunately has not been successful, and very few resources were invested in playmakers in the passing game. It's time to recognize what the modern NFL is about with all of those rules changes that I mentioned and to invest agressively, intelligently, and abundantly in a disproportionate manner in addressing the biggest weaknesses that are keeping this team from winning and that is a lack of firepower on offense, period. Sure, bring in a cornerback and a pass rusher, but they better bring in at least two - three new receivers, a couple of new tight ends, a guard and a tackle and make sure they get the best players at those offensive positions that are available in free agency and the draft. They should be prioritized, and they shouldn't try and rely on this 'acorn" strategy that hasn't really gotten it done. That's all I'm sayin...
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    One word in this argument over Offense or Defense, it has held true over decades - balance.
    The rules changes over the past years have tipped the balance towards the offense over the defense, it's a fact...
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyndig View Post
    A fair point, but the fact is one can't prove that Payton Manning wouldn't have still scored those points if he had been given a chance to have a drive on each of those possessions. Having said that, I would agree that it was the failure of the safety at the end that ultimately lost that game for them more than any other single play. The Interception never should've been thrown, but it never should've come to that. So of course, it is always good to have good players who can defend the pass and rush the passer.

I'm not saying that defense can't make a difference, because it can. My main point is that this team has been built with an emphasis on the front seven on defense, the oline which unfortunately has not been successful, and very few resources were invested in playmakers in the passing game. It's time to recognize what the modern NFL is about with all of those rules changes that I mentioned and to invest agressively, intelligently, and abundantly in a disproportionate manner in addressing the biggest weaknesses that are keeping this team from winning and that is a lack of firepower on offense, period. Sure, bring in a cornerback and a pass rusher, but they better bring in at least two - three new receivers, a couple of new tight ends, a guard and a tackle and make sure they get the best players at those offensive positions that are available in free agency and the draft. They should be prioritized, and they shouldn't try and rely on this 'acorn" strategy that hasn't really gotten it done. That's all I'm sayin...
    Agree. Hopefully our organization is starting to figure this out.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Because of the rule changes a good defense is like gold. There are a lot of teams that can score but only a few that can shut you down.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorygrant83 View Post
    Because of the rule changes a good defense is like gold. There are a lot of teams that can score but only a few that can shut you down.
    You miss the point. I say because of the rules changes none of the so called elite defences can truly shut down the elite offences. That is my whole point. It can surely be a contributing factor, but if you do not first have an explosive offense you will be limited in what you can achieve.

in the modern nfl offense wins championships so its even more important you have one above anything else.
    Quote Quote