Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Defense is not as important as offense anymore

1. -21
    old pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    windermere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    That's because the Patriots defense has been getting smoked the past couple of seasons. They're scrambling to repair it.
    In other words, defense IS important.
    If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Winning is a Habit

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphin1972 Dolphins LogoJurassic WorldCam Wake 91
    Let's examine the claim that defense is not as important by the OP.

SF - 24.8 points/game (11th), 17.1 allowed/game (2nd)
    NE - 34.8 points/game (1st), 20.7 allowed/game (9th)
    ATL - 26.2 points/game (7th), 18.7 allowed/game (5th)
    BAL - 24.9 points/game (10th), 21.5 allowed/game (12th)

Average - 27.7 points/game (7.3), 19.5 allowed/game (7)

As you can see, balance is key to having success in the playoffs.
    With the rule changes, it would make sense that defense is even more important.

Even with Brady in his prime and that offense being a juggernaut since about 2006, NE has yet to win a Super Bowl.
    The Patriots teams that won three Super Bowls since 2000 had a great defense behind good QB play.

You need both a good D and good O to win these days. Having a good QB is a MUST these days.

- Hall of Fame Safety Rod Woodson on Dan Marino playing in today's NFL:
    "...the best quarterback I believe is Dan Marino..."
    "If he played with these rules, he'd throw for 100,000 yards."

Twitter
    - https://twitter.com/ciscoholgate

Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wow, great to see some people actually read this thread, just came back from work. Understand, my point wasn't that you shouldn't have talent on both sides of the ball. My point was that with the rules changes and a finite amount of resources to invest every year that one should invest them in the areas that helps a team take advantage of the current landscape of the nfl. For the past decade this team has invested more in players that don't score touchdowns and this model is outdated and must be remodelled.

its time to restructure this team to score more points. Our defense is basically a top ten defense and is good enough to win. Investing a bit more, cornerback, maybe one more pass rusher will incrementally improve it and consequently our win loss record by one or two wins maybe, but radically improving our offense will give us the only way we will turn into a playoff contender.

this is what we have on offense: Tannehill, Pouncey, bush, Hartline, and Bess. Receiver tight end, and just about every position on the online needs to be upgraded. We have a young qb who's development is the most important thing to the future of this club, therefore, 90 percent of our finite amount of chips to spend should be invested in our offense, tight end, receiver x 2, guard, tackle, etc,

we need radical restructuring and the emphasis needs to be on offense for all of the reasons I mentioned...

and to the one poster who said that defense is what kept the final four in it I say that is bull, every team is in it because of their O primarily, not their D. Holding a team to 28 points means nothing if you can't out score them.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Defenses must be disruptive rather than flat out dominant. This can be done with a great pass rush like the Giants or a defense that specializes in turnovers like the Patriots. They all still need to be stout against the run as well. The classic shut down corners are becoming a dinosaur due to the new rules for sure. Agreed this is becoming a league of big plays and explosive offensive talent, and lord knows we have not seen that since the Marino days. However, remember our defenses in those days that couldn't stop the run? Don't underestimate the importance of this unit, just need to value they "new" important positions like NT or DT against run, pass rushers and play making safeties.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    Seems to me that two of the remaining four teams still in it are there BECAUSE of their D
    What planet do u live on? How many points did each of these alleged great defences hold every one of these offences to? How many POINTS were scored in each game! How many passing yards? Where were these great defences again?
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shanem40 View Post
    Wrong defense still wins championships
    dude, u r wrong. It's just not true anymore, wake up!
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This article seems to back the OP's argument

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...that-of/nTxkb/
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJFins87 View Post
    Only 2 positions make sense at #12. Either WR like patterson or allen or DE if mingo or jordan are there. TE is a free agency fill for this year. If you look at the numbers for the 2 TEs you are talking about neither of them have elite speed to stretch the field vertically. If you want to draft a TE in the first round you have to wait until next year when Austin Jenkins from Washington is available. That kid is an absolute beast with elite speed.
    Another one to watch will be Eric Ebron from North Carolina. He will only be a junior but will most likely leave early. This kid has all the tools of a superstar TE. If he leaves early he will be a top 15 to 20 pick easily.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyndig View Post
    What planet do u live on? How many points did each of these alleged great defences hold every one of these offences to? How many POINTS were scored in each game! How many passing yards? Where were these great defences again?
    I tend to agree with the OP by the way but it argue the other side Baltimore's defense only gave up 21 points at Denver against Manning. That's pretty good. It's only because of Denver's special teams they were in the game.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCMiamiEast View Post
    I cosign this on a few conditions. It's hard to disagree with the fact that offense > defense in today's NFL due to severe rule changes, however...I would be highly disappointed if we drafted/reached for Eiffert/Allen/Hunter with the 12th selection. Those guys may likely fall to slots 20-28 (Hunter in early 2nd) and we should trade down. I realize people hate the conservative approach due to it's failures here in Miami lately, but it has to be done. We cannot reach for any of those three guys. If we do not trade down, we need to focus on bolstering the pass rush/secondary with Mingo or Milliner (hoping either falls to the 12th slot) and if I am GM...that is a tough decision to make between trading down for play makers or hitting on Mingo. Your draft seemed to focus only on the offense though...which is what I have an issue with. Otherwise, I agree with your philosophy of drafting play makers early on. Between free agency and the draft, I am hoping we satisfy the offense this year, giving us a better opportunity to hit on DE/CB with the 1st after next season.
    Look, regarding specific players, it's whomever the scouts rate the highest at those positions regarding WR and Tight End, and even O-line. Regarding investing early draft picks 4-1 offense vs defense I say damn right. Your method has given us nothing but mediocrity for well over a decade. Time to change with the times and do what it takes to bring some explosive playmakers in the passing game both in free agency, and young fellas to develop. You could basically resign Starks, add a cornerback or two and our defense would be solid enough to win. The Offense however needs almost a complete rebuild. So, rebuild it, don't muck about and make moves that are safe and that will only surely serve to make the team continue to wallow in mediocrity.

Regarding tight ends, I think we need to draft at least one of those guys with our early picks if they are available and well regarded by the scouts. We should also go after one in Free agency too, in other words, not one or the other, but both! Tight end needs to be significantly upgraded, receiver needs to be significantly upgraded, the o-line needs to be upgraded, draft and sign free agents at all of those positions. Draft and sign a cornerback in Free agency, maybe a pass rusher in free agency too, and we will be all set for next year after we sign our key free agents who we want to keep.

We need to completely change the model that we have been using to construct this unappealing collection of mediocrity that isn't suited to compete in todays NFL. Time to get out of the comfort zone and take some chances and make some moves with testicular fortitude. It's the only way we can transform this team into a consistent winner that can compete with any of those teams that made the playoffs this year. Go Fins!
    Quote Quote