Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM - HEAD COACH Relationship??

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

GM - HEAD COACH Relationship??

Has anybody here heard or know exactly what the relationship is between a teams GM and the Head Coach? For example, it seems that the last coaching staff had a vision on how to build a winning product and they put more emphasis on BIG, Strong players in the trenches. It seemed they wanted to pound the ball with the running game and throw it when necessary. They placed a very high premium on olinemen and d-linemen (signing Jake #1 overall and Drafting Odrick in the first round) . Now it seems that this coaching staff believes that you need a good QB and playmakers on the outsides to compliment him so they place a higher premium on WR ,QB and TE (Drafting Tenny at #19 and all of this Years free agent moves) and less so on Olineman (letting Jake walk).

So who's "Vision" is it, the GM or the HC? Does the HC tell the GM "Hey this is what I need to build a winning football team, now go find me these types of players", and does the GM then go out working with scouts and compiles a list of names and provides that to the HC. And then the coaches review the names and film and say ok we want this guy that guy etc... And at that point the GM puts a $ amount on the player and position and say ok, the HC wants him, but we can only pay this much for this particular player. Who places the monetary value on the player? GM or HC? Who's job is it to say that Jake Long is worth 6M per and we ain't paying any more than that?

And how does the capologist come into play? Do they work with the GM to construct contract that is "Cap Friendly" For example how would the capologist know which would be better, to have more cap room this year or next year or the year after when structuring contracts?? I'm just curious of how all of these relationships work.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    If you ain't first, you're last!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    Philbin has mind ****ed Ireland. That is all.
    "Fundamentals, technique, execution -- primary. Scheme -- secondary."

"We will incorporate an aggressive, up-tempo, attacking style in all three phases of the game."

"Our team will play with discipline, poise, and maximum effort."

"I want us to be the best tackling team in the NFL, the best team in pursuit, I want to take the ball away from other teams, I want to rattle the opposing quarterback every opportunity we get."

-- Joe Philbin 01/12

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I see lots of crazy replies about Ireland and Parcells around here.

Philbin, his OC and DC prefer different types of players. Ireland appears to be working with him to get him what fits that's what GMs get paid to do.

Too many people forget that Parcells was able to win the AFC East in his first year here, so what he was doing must have been working on some level.

Also, he was very into the option type QBs and plays that last year completely dominated the NFL and the playoffs. The Dolphins were the first recent team to focus so much time and energy into that stuff.

Nobody wants to hear this but Sporano had a better rookie year as a head coach than Philbin did.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    If you ain't first, you're last!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdrover View Post
    I see lots of crazy replies about Ireland and Parcells around here.

Philbin, his OC and DC prefer different types of players. Ireland appears to be working with him to get him what fits that's what GMs get paid to do.

Too many people forget that Parcells was able to win the AFC East in his first year here, so what he was doing must have been working on some level.

Also, he was very into the option type QBs and plays that last year completely dominated the NFL and the playoffs. The Dolphins were the first recent team to focus so much time and energy into that stuff.

Nobody wants to hear this but Sporano had a better rookie year as a head coach than Philbin did.
    Two words... Chad Pennington.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiZFiT View Post
    Two words... Chad Pennington.
    And no Tom Brady that year
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tom Brady being out was the main reason we won that division. We had a solid season and overachieved but we never really progressed with that team
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Dolphins Homer
    IMHO I think Ireland drafts and brings in FAs based on what the coach is looking for in his gameplan. That's why we don't see many left from the Sparano regime. I also think Ireland is now more aggressive in FA because of the faith he puts in Philbin. Sure we had a lot of contract mess years ago that had to get cleaned up, but still there wasnt a huge offseason we have now that in my mind was because nobody really believed Sparano would take us deep in the playoffs. With that said, I still think the player is Irelands decision with some input from the HC.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It seems that Philbin and Ireland are working together. We now have wide outs that fit the GB/WC offense that coach is using.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How awesome would it be to be a fly on the wall for some of the conversations between Ireland and Philbin? I think its pretty clear that Philbin is behind the departure of a lot of the old regimes players, especially Marshall, Davis, Bush, Dansby and probably Long so from there you could probably conclude that he has a lot of say and maybe final say on who we bring in also.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Reach for the Stars

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    How awesome would it be to be a fly on the wall for some of the conversations between Ireland and Philbin? I think its pretty clear that Philbin is behind the departure of a lot of the old regimes players, especially Marshall, Davis, Bush, Dansby and probably Long so from there you could probably conclude that he has a lot of say and maybe final say on who we bring in also.
    Naw, Jeff has final say, but of course you try and go get the type of players that fits that HC's philosophy...heck why make him the HC and then not support him, that would be stupid. Philbin and Sprano are 2 different type philosophies, Philbin wc, zone blocking at the ol, sprano, parcells pick, big blockers and drive at the OL..one's from the passing era, the other the run era, thus you're seeing the switching of one theme to the next, from run to pass, with good runners to be dangerous and keep D's honest. Jeff's is being the GM he's suppose to be..Get the best players to run that HC's style of play. period.
    Quote Quote