Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oregon sheriff: I won't enforce new gun laws

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Oregon sheriff: I won't enforce new gun laws

An Oregon sheriff has written Vice President Joe Biden to say his department won't enforce any new gun laws he considers unconstitutional.
    In his letter, Sheriff Tim Mueller of Linn County said politicians are "attempting to exploit the deaths of innocent victims" by supporting laws that would harm law-abiding Americans.
    "We must not allow, nor shall we tolerate, the actions of criminals, no matter how heinous the crimes, to prompt politicians to enact laws that will infringe upon the liberties of responsible citizens who have broken no laws," the sheriff wrote.
    Mueller says he took an oath to support the Constitution, and laws preventing citizens from owning certain semi-automatic firearms and ammunition magazines would violate their rights.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...onstitutional/
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hattiesburg MS
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Now thats a man I would vote for again!
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Based on driving through Oregon on Interstate 5 a few times, Linn County is fairly rural with a total population of around 117,000. I doubt his views would go over well in very liberal Portland (Multnomah County).

http://grdurand.com/blogger/2010/01/...ue-oregon.html
    “I’m somewhat disappointed that more African Americans don’t think for themselves and just go with whatever they’re supposed to say and think."

- Dr. Benjamin Carson
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Oregon sheriff: I won't enforce new gun laws

Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    Based on driving through Oregon on Interstate 5 a few times, Linn County is fairly rural with a total population of around 117,000. I doubt his views would go over well in very liberal Portland (Multnomah County).

http://grdurand.com/blogger/2010/01/...ue-oregon.html
    Even more reason that the federal government shouldn't be involved in this crap. The large urban centers are the only places where people think any of this liberal crap, especially gun control, is a good idea or even tolerable. That comprises about 10% of the land area but unfortunately about 50%+ of the population. The rest of us are going to get butt raped by the "Anointed One" and his cronies with their systematic disassembling of the constitution.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wonder how much discretion sheriff's are really allowed to have under the law. I've never really thought about it. Somehow I doubt they get to choose which parts of the law they want to enforce or not, but I would imagine they do have -- at least as a practical matter -- a fair amount of authority.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I wonder how much discretion sheriff's are really allowed to have under the law. I've never really thought about it. Somehow I doubt they get to choose which parts of the law they want to enforce or not, but I would imagine they do have -- at least as a practical matter -- a fair amount of authority.
    Id say they have at least as much authority as the POTUS regarding which laws they choose to enforce and which ones they choose to be lax on.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    A law is paper with intent. You can choose any day of the week whether or not you intend to follow that piece of paper. I know that is the higher philosophical argument about what truly binds us and makes us free but you don't have to follow or enforce a law for that matter if you choose not to do so. I assume you do so at the risk of losing your job in the case of the Sheriff but I find it funny that most elected Sheriffs have chose to either not comment on the subject or reject it but most appointed sheriffs have elected to support the measures.

I guess it depends on which side your bread is buttered.
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    1st Ballot Hall of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CUSE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If the sheriff chooses to be corrupt the Federal government can step in, or threaten to cut funding for local law enforcement..Lets see how this guy reacts when he is not getting paid.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunaphish429 View Post
    If the sheriff chooses to be corrupt the Federal government can step in, or threaten to cut funding for local law enforcement..Lets see how this guy reacts when he is not getting paid.
    Man, is that how you see government? Do what i say, no matter how it goes against a Constitution, both federal and state, you swore to uphold, or we'll take your money?

Tell me how that stance reconciles with the founders vision of government? What a twisted sad perception
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    1st Ballot Hall of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CUSE
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Oregon sheriff: I won't enforce new gun laws

Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    Man, is that how you see government? Do what i say, no matter how it goes against a Constitution, both federal and state, you swore to uphold, or we'll take your money?

Tell me how that stance reconciles with the founders vision of government? What a twisted sad perception
    Did you feel this way about segregation in the south? How about drinking age being 21. The feds did similar things in the past and it was justified..i dont give a **** about ppl having assault rifles. You wanna hunt fine...a regular rifle will suffice. And to ppl that say what if we need to overthrow the government? Just stop.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote