Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Perception Doesn't Equal Reality on Jeff Ireland

1. -1
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Perception Doesn't Equal Reality on Jeff Ireland

Jeff Ireland is a very unpopular guy among many Dolfans and Dolphins columnist. Most of the ammunition these folks use relate to the years in which Bill Parcells had final say over personnel. It also relates to the years in which Ireland had to acquire talent for a coach and a scheme he didn't agree with. In light of that, even though people will undoubtedly say I'm wrong, Ireland, in reality, has one year under his belt as a full fledged general manager. In one year, what has he done?

1. Miami is loaded for the 2013 NFL draft. This allows them to do as the Patriots, and move up and down to acquire the players that best fit their system.

2. Miami is loaded with money for the 2013 Free Agency period. This allows them to go get any impact players that hit the open market.

3. His track record over the last 12 months is pretty impressive. Ryan Tannehill, Jonathan Martin, Lamar Miller, Marcus Thigpen, Olivier Vernon, Rishard Matthews, Derrick Shelby, Kheeston Randle, Josh Kaddu, Jonathan Freeny, and Will Yeatman (to tackle) is a pretty good haul for one year. I'd say seven have elite physical skills and the potential to be impact players for years to come, Tannahill, Martin, Miller, Thigpen, Vernon, Kaddu, and Yeatman. Don't be surprised if Kaddu and Yeatman have a big impact next year. The only free agent he signed for other than bargain basement numbers - Richard Marshall - looked good in the preseason and in the handful of games he was healthy. And, given his track record, nobody could have seen him getting injured. Michael Egnew, the lightning rod for most Ireland haters, is one potential mistake among many obvious successes. Nobody hits on them all. Now that said, the jury is still not out on him, although admittedly my eyes see toughness and work ethic issues.

I know I'm going to get hammered for writing this post. I get that. I just think it has to be said that people are being unreasonable in their pre-mature viewpoints on Jeff Ireland. I believe in him. I believe in his plan, or what I think his plan is. I believe he will build a Super Bowl contender. I think if others were honest with themselves they would scale back the hatred. You don't have to agree that he will make Miami a Super Bowl contender. However, if you know about football and how the dynamics within an organization work, you have to admit this has been his team for only one year. Just because things have been so bad since the Wannstedt-Fiedler years doesn't mean we throw critial thinking out the door and look for demons behind every door. Ireland has us in a great position. It's time to recognize that.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Münchweiler, Germany
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jeff Ireland has to go because in his five years as a GM we fielded one winning team. I don't care who the coach was his first four years or how much control he had in those years, the results speak against him. Fire him.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    #onephin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphin
    I still don't like him but, I'll support him regardless.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    I'm just tired of the damn excuses. I want results, and I want 'em now!

I said I'd get off his ass this past year because he finally invested in a QB with our first. Now, the heat is back on.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Drivin' the Yeremiah Bell Bandwagon

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Murrieta CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He has picks because he is letting our best players go and he most certainly will be drafting players at WR and CB who will not be as good as the players he let go. In other words he is creating holes and filling them with junk players.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetti17 View Post
    I know I'm going to get hammered for writing this post.
    Yep, you will get hammered, but you will also likely have the last laugh when you bump this thread in 2 years and we are a playoff team.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bay Area, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jeff "buy high and sell low" Ireland?
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Drivin' the Yeremiah Bell Bandwagon

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Murrieta CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    6 years to get to the playoffs... I'm not sure he will be laughing.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Things that Ireland can 100% unequivocally be criticized/questioned for:

-Trading the team's biggest playmaker (Marshall) for two 3rd round picks (this is strictly from a talent perspective and not looking at off the field or attitude issues)
    -Failing to seriously address the WR position after the Marshall trade
    -Drafting Michael Egnew over TY Hilton et al
    -Trading into the 2nd round in 2011 for Daniel Thomas
    -Clyde Gates
    -The Dez Bryant pre-draft interview
    -Playing things too safe at the draft in general

Things Ireland definitely should at least share some blame on:

-Pat White
    -Patrick Turner
    -the FA acquisitions of Justin Smiley and Jake Grove and the contracts given to each
    -largely ignoring skills position players in early rounds of drafts

Things I give Ireland credit for:

-Mike Pouncey
    -Cam Wake
    -Davone Bess
    -Brian Hartline
    -trading for Reggie Bush
    -Reshad Jones
    -his decisions not to panic at QB and trade for guys like Kyle Orton

As for this last draft class, it is way too early to be putting any of them in either a positive or negative category. Tannehill shows potential, as do Miller, Martin and Vernon to a lesser degree. That's all it is right now-potential. I'm also not going to fault him for guys like Legadu Naanee. That was a low risk move that didn't work out. It is, however, a microcosm of how he has addressed the WR position on the whole during his tenure so far. As for Tannehill, I have always gotten the impression that the pick was highly influenced by Philbin and Mike Sherman-and most likely Stephen Ross too. I think Ireland knew he had to take a QB in round 1 and he took the guy whom everyone thought was the best one left.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sorry, that's bull****. Ireland took Tannehill. A lot of people, including a lot on this very forum, thought Weeden was better than Tannehill
    Quote Quote