Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Perception Doesn't Equal Reality on Jeff Ireland

1. -11
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    I'm just tired of the damn excuses. I want results, and I want 'em now!

I said I'd get off his ass this past year because he finally invested in a QB with our first. Now, the heat is back on.
    who is that in ur sig
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jason37 View Post
    He has picks because he is letting our best players go and he most certainly will be drafting players at WR and CB who will not be as good as the players he let go. In other words he is creating holes and filling them with junk players.
    So we were a good team with those studs??? Lmao...
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jason37 View Post
    He has picks because he is letting our best players go and he most certainly will be drafting players at WR and CB who will not be as good as the players he let go. In other words he is creating holes and filling them with junk players.
    You can't say that for sure, FA and the draft have yet to happen, or do you know this for a fact because you have a time machine?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterNorth View Post
    Things that Ireland can 100% unequivocally be criticized/questioned for:

-Drafting Michael Egnew over TY Hilton et al
    -The Dez Bryant pre-draft interview
    -Playing things too safe at the draft in general
    I agree with yout statement on the Marshall trade if it was only based on getting rid of him from a talent standpoint, but I think we can ALL agree Marshall wasn't traded for his lack of talent.... I agree witothers expect these three.

If we had a crystal ball, sure Egnew over Hilton was a bad call, however I can't fault them for taking Egnew when they did... I'm sure Ireland/Philbin viewed Egnew as the 3rd best TE in the draft, after the Colts doubled up on TE, they had to make the move if they wanted to get a TE that they thought woulf fit the system, sadly lit looks like they were wrong... Hilton I believe was the 16th WR taken, we weren't the only team who passed on this guy... But if I may say so, it has been reported that Ireland asked for Hilton in the VD trade, which means he liked (recgonized his talent) and probaly wanted to draft him, just didn't get there in time (most likely because they had to move on Egnew)...

Who gives a **** what he asked Dez Bryant in an interview, sounds like he was spot on if you ask me, Dez Bryant needs a baby sitter. What grown ass man needs a baby sitter?

Statistaclly, if I had to guess, playing it safe will probably score you a better draft then being reckless. If not, it's probaly 50/50 hit or miss (safe to reckless).

Things Ireland definitely should at least share some blame on:

-Pat White
    -Patrick Turner
    -the FA acquisitions of Justin Smiley and Jake Grove and the contracts given to each
    -largely ignoring skills position players in early rounds of drafts
    Agreed, 100%!

Things I give Ireland credit for:

-Mike Pouncey
    -Cam Wake
    -Davone Bess
    -Brian Hartline
    -trading for Reggie Bush
    -Reshad Jones
    -his decisions not to panic at QB and trade for guys like Kyle Orton

As for this last draft class, it is way too early to be putting any of them in either a positive or negative category. Tannehill shows potential, as do Miller, Martin and Vernon to a lesser degree. That's all it is right now-potential. I'm also not going to fault him for guys like Legadu Naanee. That was a low risk move that didn't work out. It is, however, a microcosm of how he has addressed the WR position on the whole during his tenure so far. As for Tannehill, I have always gotten the impression that the pick was highly influenced by Philbin and Mike Sherman-and most likely Stephen Ross too. I think Ireland knew he had to take a QB in round 1 and he took the guy whom everyone thought was the best one left.
    agreed!

Great post all together!
    http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/rex-ryan-foot.jpg

currently the 19th ranked competitive eater in the world
    http://www.ifoce.com/rankings.php
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetti17 View Post
    Jeff Ireland is a very unpopular guy among many Dolfans and Dolphins columnist. Most of the ammunition these folks use relate to the years in which Bill Parcells had final say over personnel. It also relates to the years in which Ireland had to acquire talent for a coach and a scheme he didn't agree with. In light of that, even though people will undoubtedly say I'm wrong, Ireland, in reality, has one year under his belt as a full fledged general manager. In one year, what has he done?

1. Miami is loaded for the 2013 NFL draft. This allows them to do as the Patriots, and move up and down to acquire the players that best fit their system.

2. Miami is loaded with money for the 2013 Free Agency period. This allows them to go get any impact players that hit the open market.

3. His track record over the last 12 months is pretty impressive. Ryan Tannehill, Jonathan Martin, Lamar Miller, Marcus Thigpen, Olivier Vernon, Rishard Matthews, Derrick Shelby, Kheeston Randle, Josh Kaddu, Jonathan Freeny, and Will Yeatman (to tackle) is a pretty good haul for one year. I'd say seven have elite physical skills and the potential to be impact players for years to come, Tannahill, Martin, Miller, Thigpen, Vernon, Kaddu, and Yeatman. Don't be surprised if Kaddu and Yeatman have a big impact next year. The only free agent he signed for other than bargain basement numbers - Richard Marshall - looked good in the preseason and in the handful of games he was healthy. And, given his track record, nobody could have seen him getting injured. Michael Egnew, the lightning rod for most Ireland haters, is one potential mistake among many obvious successes. Nobody hits on them all. Now that said, the jury is still not out on him, although admittedly my eyes see toughness and work ethic issues.

I know I'm going to get hammered for writing this post. I get that. I just think it has to be said that people are being unreasonable in their pre-mature viewpoints on Jeff Ireland. I believe in him. I believe in his plan, or what I think his plan is. I believe he will build a Super Bowl contender. I think if others were honest with themselves they would scale back the hatred. You don't have to agree that he will make Miami a Super Bowl contender. However, if you know about football and how the dynamics within an organization work, you have to admit this has been his team for only one year. Just because things have been so bad since the Wannstedt-Fiedler years doesn't mean we throw critial thinking out the door and look for demons behind every door. Ireland has us in a great position. It's time to recognize that.
    1) Just because you have a boss doesnt mean you cant be held accountable for your actions. Technically, Ireland still has a boss named Ross. Almost every teams general manager has a boss(save for teams like the Cowboys), by your logic no one should be fired ever. While working for Parcells, Ireland got paid like a general manager. If he can cash the checks of a gm, he can be held accountable as gm. Best case scenario, he did absolutely nothing while working for Parcells. Collecting payment while not doing your job at all sounds like a legitimate reason for being fired.

2) Its not Irelands job to draft the coaches players, its his job to build a winning roster. If he let Sparano influence his picks, then he should be fired for willingly giving up his power. If Ireland drafted players he knew were bad because his coach begged him or scheme demanded it, he should be fired.

3) Miami is loaded up on draft picks and free agency because Ireland and company screwed the pooch in the past. Sure, we have an extra second round pick, but how did we get it? By trading away a former first round pick. Sure, we have an extra third round pick, how did we get it? By trading away a player we spent (multiple) second round picks on. Thats just bad math. And why did we get all this cap room? We got it by previously not signing players. Why didnt we sign players in the past? Because our team was being strangled by the contracts of horrific former signings.

4) I'll be stunned if any of those players make any sort of impact. Every single year we have people starting threads on this forum talking about late round draft picks and how they will become studs. Then those players are cut and the posters move onto the more recent "under the radar" signings. Anyone remember Matt Baker? Countless threads about him. What has he done lately?

5) Richard Marshall was a terrible signing. We gave $5 million a year to a player who was going on his 3rd team in 3 years. We might not have seen his injury coming, but most of us knew he wasnt going to be starter material. In the limited time he played, he did nothing to contradict that opinion. Many on here agree Sean Smith is nothing more than a number 2 corner. And Marshall was worse then him. Hardly impressed.

6) Other then Ireland having the words "Miami Dolphins General Manager" in his title, what has he done to secure your loyalty? Why do you believe he will make this team a Superbowl contender? You have nothing to go on, especially since you believe this was only his first year on the job. I find that to many people are only loyal to the people who currently occupy the front office and not to the team itself.

7) And for reasons explained above(and so many more), i will never admit he has only been here for a year. People can go through all sorts of mental gymnastics to excuse Ireland for the horrific job hes done, but its indisputable that our team has been losing while hes been in our front office. And thats what the bottom line should be.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterNorth View Post
    Things I give Ireland credit for:

-Mike Pouncey
    -Cam Wake
    -Davone Bess
    -Brian Hartline
    -trading for Reggie Bush
    -Reshad Jones
    -his decisions not to panic at QB and trade for guys like Kyle Orton.
    He wanted to trade for Orton. He made up the contract and made an agreement with Denver concerning draft pick compensation.

Ross vetoed the trade because he didnt want to pay a back up quarterback $9 million.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Here is another way to look at the Ireland situation...

He is the 2nd best GM in our division, and probably in the top ten GMs in the NFL.

I don't have a problem with the GM. I don't like the emphasis he places on value versus SKILL though. In the draft I agree with the idea that you should always draft the BEST player, not the player with the most value.

The bottom line with Ireland is that anyone who actually has watched the Dolphin games for the past two seasons knows that the team has UNDERPERFORMED.

The team has enough talent to have won more games than they did.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Münchweiler, Germany
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdrover View Post

He is the 2nd best GM in our division, and probably in the top ten GMs in the NFL.

I don't have a problem with the GM. I don't like the emphasis he places on value versus SKILL though. In the draft I agree with the idea that you should always draft the BEST player, not the player with the most value.

The bottom line with Ireland is that anyone who actually has watched the Dolphin games for the past two seasons knows that the team has UNDERPERFORMED.

It's the other way round: we have more wins than we should have based on the overall talent on the roster. Remember, we were ranked dead last in the Power Rankings right before week 1.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdrover View Post

The bottom line with Ireland is that anyone who actually has watched the Dolphin gams for the past two seasons knows that the team has UNDERPERFORMED.

This division had 3 losing teams. Last year it had 2 losing teams and a 8-8 team. This is a bad division. Being second best in a crappy division isnt great.

Id easily take Ted Thompson, Rick Smith, Kevin Colbert, Ozzie Newsome, Ryan Grigson, John Elway, Jerry Reese, Martin Mayhew, Thomas Dimitroff, Mickey Loomis, Mark Dominik, Les Snead, Trent Baalke, and John Schneider over Ireland. Heck, given their relative recent success, id take Bruce Allen and Mike friggin Brown over Ireland. Thats 16 people right there and excludes a couple of new/"young" general managers like Phil Emery and Tom Telesco. Its not an exaggeration to say Ireland is among the 10 worst general managers in the NFL. Our 4 consecutive losing seasons(tied for worst in Miami Dolphins history) back up that claim.

This is a talented team that underperformed? High-larious.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
    It's the other way round: we have more wins than we should have based on the overall talent on the roster. Remember, we were ranked dead last in the Power Rankings right before week 1.
    You see that is what I meant by, anyone who actually watches the games...

Power rankings are a joke. They lost some games that they should have won, games that they were winning and lost due to small mistakes.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    This division had 3 losing teams. Last year it had 2 losing teams and a 8-8 team. This is a bad division. Being second best in a crappy division isnt great.

Id easily take Ted Thompson, Rick Smith, Kevin Colbert, Ozzie Newsome, Ryan Grigson, John Elway, Jerry Reese, Martin Mayhew, Thomas Dimitroff, Mickey Loomis, Mark Dominik, Les Snead, Trent Baalke, and John Schneider over Ireland. Heck, given their relative recent success, id take Bruce Allen and Mike friggin Brown over Ireland. Thats 16 people right there and excludes a couple of new/"young" general managers like Phil Emery and Tom Telesco. Its not an exaggeration to say Ireland is among the 10 worst general managers in the NFL. Our 4 consecutive losing seasons(tied for worst in Miami Dolphins history) back up that claim.

This is a talented team that underperformed? High-larious.

Easily taken...

The patriots are arguably one of the top 3 teams in the NFL. They aren't going anywhere. The only way the Dolphins can make any ground on them is with stability at GM and head coach.
    Quote Quote