Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Perception Doesn't Equal Reality on Jeff Ireland

1. -41
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKphin View Post
    So what you are saying he was just a puppet Parcells used so he could deflect criticism as he slowly ruined the team. That makes him even more of a lackey than was previously stated. By the way, player transactions and hiring the coaches are the GM's job.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...an_football%29
    The team was 1 and 15 when he arrived what was there to ruin genius? Ireland only hired Philbin but was hired by Parcells. I guess you could credit him with the coahes hired by Parcells that he fired and hired others to replace like Nolan but your still batting zero on your post.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMarksBros. View Post
    Ireland is the best GM-who's-team-hasnt-had-a-winning-record-in-5-years EVER!!!

Only on this forum does this failure have excuse after excuse made for him.
    Really? You really don't know the difference between a GM in name only and a GM with final say over personnel?
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    1) Proof? Evidence?

2) So now no one should be fired if they dont have final say. Man, alot of assistant coaches/front office personnel have been wrongfully terminated. NFL is going to be flooded with lawsuits, right?

3) Had Von Miller played for a strict coaching staff, he wouldnt be rushing the passer as a linebacker. Good thing he is playing for a coaching staff that understands the talent they have available. Its common occurance for teams to adjust their scheme. Coaches are fighting for their own jobs(unless they dont have final say, then they can do whatever they want apparently) and know the best way to win is to put their players in the best position they can. Some players do respond better in certain schemes, especially quarterbacks. But good general managers and coaches acquire players because of their strengths/talent and adjust accordingly. Scheme is the most overrated excuse on this forum. Acquire good players(and there are significantly more then 10 per draft), period.

4) Oh, so now Ireland did have some role in our losing seasons. So the information Ireland compiled lead to losing seasons. And when he took over(like 3 days ago according to some) it also lead to a losing season. Again, what has Jeff Ireland done to secure your loyalty? What have you seen in this person to suggest he will build a winning roster? Did it inspire you with confidence when he failed to address the hole he created at wideout? How about at corner? The Cam Wake and Ryan Tannehill holdouts? Other than having the title "Miami Dolphins General Manager" how has he earned your trust?
    1. Please see above. (It has to do with the existence of Bill Parcells and Tony Sparano)

2. I would say you are twisting my words...but...since your just making up arguments out of thin air I think I'll pass on repeating myself again. What's the phrase "you don't throw the baby out with the bathw water". That describes the theory on Ireland pretty well.

3. Your right. There are signnificantly more than 10 good players in every draft. However, Von Miller, your example, is an elite special player. He makes a good player look bad. Those players you draft and adapt your scheme to fit them.

4. You evaluate players using the protocols and scales handed down by the person with final say. You apply your bosses policies. That's how it works. What I have seen out of him that makes me think he will build a winning roster are Ryan Tannehill, Jonathan Martin, Tyler Thigpen, 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, and 40+ million to spend in a year when Jennings and Wallace will hit the open market.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKphin View Post
    So what you are saying he was just a puppet Parcells used so he could deflect criticism as he slowly ruined the team. That makes him even more of a lackey than was previously stated. By the way, player transactions and hiring the coaches are the GM's job.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...an_football%29
    I think I said "He collected information using Parcell's evaluation criteria". Maybe reading it a second time will help.

Also, did you notice your wiki posting used the word "typically" and "normally"? Anyone who followed the Dolphins knows that Miami's situation was not typical or normal from a GM standpoint. Typically and normally the GM, as you put it "controls player transactions and bears the primary responsibility on behalf of the team during contract discussions with players. The general manager is also normally the person who hires and fires the coaching staff, including the head coach". Ireland did neither of those things. That changed one year ago when Philbin became head coach. That is when the clock began to run on Ireland.

Thank you for the quotes from Wiki.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    It is what it is

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetti17 View Post
    I think I said "He collected information using Parcell's evaluation criteria". Maybe reading it a second time will help.

Also, did you notice your wiki posting used the word "typically" and "normally"? Anyone who followed the Dolphins knows that Miami's situation was not typical or normal from a GM standpoint. Typically and normally the GM, as you put it "controls player transactions and bears the primary responsibility on behalf of the team during contract discussions with players. The general manager is also normally the person who hires and fires the coaching staff, including the head coach". Ireland did neither of those things. That changed one year ago when Philbin became head coach. That is when the clock began to run on Ireland.

Thank you for the quotes from Wiki.
    He has this season to put up or shut up. We get the AFC North, NFC SOUTH, Indy, SD, and our usual rivals. I think i know how this movie is going to end.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetti17 View Post

2. I would say you are twisting my words...but...since your just making up arguments out of thin air I think I'll pass on repeating myself again. What's the phrase "you don't throw the baby out with the bathw water". That describes the theory on Ireland pretty well.
    Don't think you're using that right... on a scale of turd to baby, Ireland is just a notch above turd.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Restore the greatness!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    Yep, you will get hammered, but you will also likely have the last laugh when you bump this thread in 2 years and we are a playoff team.
    I can see the newspapers now..."LOCH NESS MONSTER DISCOVERED" is the headline on the front page, while "13-3 DOLPHINS ROAR INTO THE PLAYOFFS" heads the sports page.

Ricky Williams: the greatest back in Miami Dolphins history

Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bay Area, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    LOL people are too much on this site... talk about battered wife syndrome.

Folks we just had our FOURTH straight losing season with no end in site and we are still defending the GM?

hahahaha
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangeworld View Post
    LOL people are too much on this site... talk about battered wife syndrome.

Folks we just had our FOURTH straight losing season with no end in site and we are still defending the GM?

hahahaha
    $40+ million in cap space, 5 draft picks in the top 82, a young talented quarterback in place and a coaching staff that is returning in full(first time that has happened since 1990). The end of the losing is definitely in sight my friend.

Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    $40+ million in cap space, 5 draft picks in the top 82, a young talented quarterback in place and a coaching staff that is returning in full(first time that has happened since 1990). The end of the losing is definitely in sight my friend.
    Not when you have an idiot pulling the trigger. Also the coaching staff continuity stuff is overrated.
    Quote Quote