Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Perception Doesn't Equal Reality on Jeff Ireland

1. -51
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Casas9425 View Post
    Not when you have an idiot pulling the trigger. Also the coaching staff continuity stuff is overrated.
    We will see if he is an "idiot" or not. This is going to be a very exciting offseason for the Dolphins and I am confident they will improve this team via free agency and the draft. This is a make it or break it year for Ireland and I expect him to put together a playoff team in 2013. I am not predicting playoffs, I am expecting it. I have high expectations and if he doesn't meet them he should and will be fired.

I totally disagree with you on staff continuity being overrated. As a Dolphins fan we can't really say it is overrated since the team hasn't had a staff return in full since the 1990 season. I know some people don't like Sherman, but imagine if him and Taylor left the coaching staff this year. I am a strong believer that they are a big key in the development of Ryan Tannehill and it would suck to see a set back in the development of one of the most important players on this team. A new offensive coordinator and QB coach might have a new system and everything Tannehill would have learned in 2012 might need to be re-learned in a different way.

Quote Quote  

2. -52
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    $40+ million in cap space, 5 draft picks in the top 82, a young talented quarterback in place and a coaching staff that is returning in full(first time that has happened since 1990). The end of the losing is definitely in sight my friend.
    Maybe
    Quote Quote  

3. -53
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Casas9425 View Post
    Not when you have an idiot pulling the trigger. Also the coaching staff continuity stuff is overrated.
    Maybe not
    Quote Quote  

4. -54
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bay Area, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    $40+ million in cap space, 5 draft picks in the top 82, a young talented quarterback in place and a coaching staff that is returning in full(first time that has happened since 1990). The end of the losing is definitely in sight my friend.
    haha I hope so.

Past performance is the best predictor of future success and Ireland has failed at every turn.

The odds greatly favor him tanking this offseason vs. nailing it based on his track record.

If this guy was a stock I would be shorting the crap out of it.
    Quote Quote  

5. -55
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetti17 View Post
    1. Please see above. (It has to do with the existence of Bill Parcells and Tony Sparano)

2. I would say you are twisting my words...but...since your just making up arguments out of thin air I think I'll pass on repeating myself again. What's the phrase "you don't throw the baby out with the bathw water". That describes the theory on Ireland pretty well.

3. Your right. There are signnificantly more than 10 good players in every draft. However, Von Miller, your example, is an elite special player. He makes a good player look bad. Those players you draft and adapt your scheme to fit them.

4. You evaluate players using the protocols and scales handed down by the person with final say. You apply your bosses policies. That's how it works. What I have seen out of him that makes me think he will build a winning roster are Ryan Tannehill, Jonathan Martin, Tyler Thigpen, 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, and 40+ million to spend in a year when Jennings and Wallace will hit the open market.
    1) People existing isnt proof. Fact: Jeff Ireland was hired to be the general manager of the Miami Dolphins and has been paid accordingly. I can prove that he has held that title since he joined the team. Period. Oh, and the suggestion that Tony Sparano had full control(hilarious considering the entire Harbaugh showdown), check the date:

I also confirmed my earlier report that Ireland had amended his contract with the Dolphins so that he is answering directly to Ross and no one else. I was told that happened "a while back."
    Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...#storylink=cpy

Then again, thats just the bloody media trying to knock Miami from the top! Well...not the top, more like the middle...or just under the middle.

2) So wait, i point out that virtually every other team in the league fires their employees even though they dont have "final say". You come back with a quote. Personally, i prefer Voltaire myself: "A witty saying proves nothing".

3) And we are in agreement, you adjust your playbook to the talent of your roster(or the talent you can gather) and that scheme is overrated. Excellent.

4) At any point Ireland could have quit. He could have refused to be paid. He could have taken other job opportunies. He could have fought for better draft selections. Instead, best case scenario, he twiddled his thumbs while Rome burned. Worst case scenario, he was directly responsible for Rome burning. In both of those situations he deserves to be fired.
    So Ireland drafting Tannehill and Martin are your reasons for absolute loyalty? Ireland directly caused Tannehill to hold out of his contract(doesnt matter how long, with the rookie salary cap all the work is done for the team). We drafted Martin over wideouts, the lack of which held back the development of our rookie quarterback. Shouldnt we hold him accountable for signing, and refusing to cut until mid-way through the season, Legedu Naanee?

I cant give Ireland credit for selling low. He doesnt earn my trust when he trades former first round picks for second round picks. It doesnt surprise me that people fawn over that. Many on this forum want us to maintain the front office that has caused us to have the worst stretch in Miami Dolphins history.
    Quote Quote  

6. -56
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So coaching and talent development has absolutely no effect on winning. Okay great thanks guys. Good talk.
    Quote Quote  

7. -57
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tennessee
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Enough about Ireland already. He's the GM still. Get over it.
    http://www.finheaven.com/signaturepics/sigpic30273_1.gif
    Quote Quote  

8. -58
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetti17 View Post
    Jeff Ireland is a very unpopular guy among many Dolfans and Dolphins columnist. Most of the ammunition these folks use relate to the years in which Bill Parcells had final say over personnel. It also relates to the years in which Ireland had to acquire talent for a coach and a scheme he didn't agree with. In light of that, even though people will undoubtedly say I'm wrong, Ireland, in reality, has one year under his belt as a full fledged general manager. In one year, what has he done?

1. Miami is loaded for the 2013 NFL draft. This allows them to do as the Patriots, and move up and down to acquire the players that best fit their system.

2. Miami is loaded with money for the 2013 Free Agency period. This allows them to go get any impact players that hit the open market.

3. His track record over the last 12 months is pretty impressive. Ryan Tannehill, Jonathan Martin, Lamar Miller, Marcus Thigpen, Olivier Vernon, Rishard Matthews, Derrick Shelby, Kheeston Randle, Josh Kaddu, Jonathan Freeny, and Will Yeatman (to tackle) is a pretty good haul for one year. I'd say seven have elite physical skills and the potential to be impact players for years to come, Tannahill, Martin, Miller, Thigpen, Vernon, Kaddu, and Yeatman. Don't be surprised if Kaddu and Yeatman have a big impact next year. The only free agent he signed for other than bargain basement numbers - Richard Marshall - looked good in the preseason and in the handful of games he was healthy. And, given his track record, nobody could have seen him getting injured. Michael Egnew, the lightning rod for most Ireland haters, is one potential mistake among many obvious successes. Nobody hits on them all. Now that said, the jury is still not out on him, although admittedly my eyes see toughness and work ethic issues.

I know I'm going to get hammered for writing this post. I get that. I just think it has to be said that people are being unreasonable in their pre-mature viewpoints on Jeff Ireland. I believe in him. I believe in his plan, or what I think his plan is. I believe he will build a Super Bowl contender. I think if others were honest with themselves they would scale back the hatred. You don't have to agree that he will make Miami a Super Bowl contender. However, if you know about football and how the dynamics within an organization work, you have to admit this has been his team for only one year. Just because things have been so bad since the Wannstedt-Fiedler years doesn't mean we throw critial thinking out the door and look for demons behind every door. Ireland has us in a great position. It's time to recognize that.
    What games did you watch where Richard Marshall looked good. He was not playing well point blank. He has been a full fledged gm for 5 years I dont get all this blame it on somebody else crap.
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

9. -59
    The Ghost

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phinzfan21 View Post
    Enough about Ireland already. He's the GM still. Get over it.
    Doesn't mean he deserves to be. We're in the same boat Chargers fans were in with AJ Smith except he drafted playmakers.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

The Devin Townsend Project: Kingdom (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZjziohaPc
    Quote Quote  

10. -60
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ireland has ammunition in this upcoming draft because he traded away players for less value than he brought them in for. He has cap space because many of the players he's invested heavily in had no long term value to this team. You're just making the same tired old argument that tries to spin lemonade from horse****.
    Quote Quote