Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Volin: Dolphins should sign Dwayne Bowe instead of Jennings or Wallace

1. -31
    Playoffs Please!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I want one of the top 3 FA wrs....really dont care which....all would be an upgrade.

Grab one and draft one
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The best fit is Jennings, he is exactly what Tannehill needs.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Brave Rifles

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    Hey Mr. Volin, its not about stats and "measurables" - its about systems and players that fit that system.
    Yep, and that is his rating scheme. You take 10 people and have them do their own 1-10 rating and all of them would be different.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Forget "what TANNEHILL needs". What does MIAMI need?

The answer is simple: a true "burner". Teams have figured out that HARTLINE (the fastest we've presently got) is a tallish, "sneaky fast" WR w/the ability to also be a "possession WR". His best deep work comes from his turning a shorter pattern upfield and leaving the CB scratching his nuts. Now, THAT AIN'T BAD. But HARTLINE isn't a true deep threat, and a solid CB will just about take away his "deep game".

Last season, once the word got around, HARTLINE was less and less scary as a deep threat, assuming he was ever scary at all. TANNEHILL has enough arm, and MIAMI has more than enough in rushing capability and possession-passing, to absolutely NEED a true deep threat. W/o it, we'll see more of opponents' crowding the l-o-s, and taking away most of our "O".

That means WALLACE for sure, and JENNINGS would be a great idea as well. MIAMI can certainly afford it, w/c. $46 Million in "caproom" to begin with. Just cutting INCOGNITO and MARSHALL (COG doesn't really fit the z-b-s and "sweep" oriented rushing attack; and MARSHALL had back surgery--I DON'T TRUST BACK INJURIES...I still remember D GARDNER) saves c. $10 Million more. So,...DO IT!

Give TANNEHILL an instant, complete and attack oriented "O", and enjoy the ride, especially if we also get a G, cover CB, pass catching TE, and Pass-rushing DE either in F/A or the Draft.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Honestly this is a tad bit silly. Vincent Jackson would be considered a deep threat, and he's not more of a "burner" than Dwayne Bowe. He's bigger, yes, but he's not faster by any means. Both has surprising deep speed. Like Larry Fitz.

Mike Wallace is honestly the greatest deep threat I've seen since Randy Moss. It's not just about being fast, or else Clyde Gates would be that guy. It's knowing how to sell your route, and Wallace does that well. He also eats up cushions (thank you Hoops for that phrase) better than anyone I've seen. If you take the Miami offense as a whole (Hartline, Bess, Matthews, Binn) and you look at you, you think "There are a lot of quality guys at every level of the WR position EXCEPT the deep threat")

The guy that requires attention because he will get by you, and if that WR/QB combo hooks up twice a game, you're likely looking at 2 touchdowns. That's why Wallace scores the way he does. When teams finally relax on him and start focusing on the short/intermediate stuff, you've got yourself a deep ball opportunity that only needs one time to make them respect it.

Now, if you decide to change the offense (wr wise) up, then yes bring in Jennings. Bring in that extra draft pick (Patterson, please) and keep Bess, jettison Hartline (Jennings would likely take his spot) and keep Binns/Matthews and see if you can develop one of them as your #2 X when Jennings is ready to leave (ie they'd assume the James Jones role that GB had)

That's how I approach this draft/off-season, with regards to WR, if I'm Jeff Ireland. That's a fix, IMO. Obviously the Hartline + Wallace route is the most expensive ($17 million a year locked up in those two) versus the draft pick and Jennings.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

FH

I generally like Ben Volin, but on this one he's stacking the deck. Why he wants Bowe ... I dunno.

In Bowe you have the Diva Receiva without production in crunch time. You have a guy who, like Legadu Naanee, hangs his QB out to dry. Bowe is a guy who disappears in crunch time by dropping the ball or not giving the effort. But, in garbage time he racks up stats when the CB's don't really care. For a coaching staff that has gone to great lengths to avoid problems in the locker room, I just can't see Philbin getting behind Bowe if Jennings, Wallace or Cruz are available. If all 3 are out of reach ... maybe. (Victor Cruz is a Restricted Free Agent, but worth mentioning).

Jennings is the guy barring insane money demands or an injury prior to signing him. I don't see Wallace coming to Miami for less money than Jennings, but he would be my second choice. Cruz is unlikely to leave the Giants, but he's the other marquee WR in my eyes. Bowe is an overhyped athlete doing a bad job of playing WR and helping his team win.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Bleed Aqua

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Minnesota
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 11Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    We need to stay far away from jennings with his recent injury history and his age. It seems like the dolphins are notorious for going after big name players after theyve had big injuries and always end up on the losing side. Wallace is the easy choice and should be the absolute first player we go after in FA.

We ll the finz were up, but then they let me down... again
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    O-town
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I generally like Ben Volin, but on this one he's stacking the deck. Why he wants Bowe ... I dunno.

In Bowe you have the Diva Receiva without production in crunch time. You have a guy who, like Legadu Naanee, hangs his QB out to dry. Bowe is a guy who disappears in crunch time by dropping the ball or not giving the effort. But, in garbage time he racks up stats when the CB's don't really care. For a coaching staff that has gone to great lengths to avoid problems in the locker room, I just can't see Philbin getting behind Bowe if Jennings, Wallace or Cruz are available. If all 3 are out of reach ... maybe. (Victor Cruz is a Restricted Free Agent, but worth mentioning).

Jennings is the guy barring insane money demands or an injury prior to signing him. I don't see Wallace coming to Miami for less money than Jennings, but he would be my second choice. Cruz is unlikely to leave the Giants, but he's the other marquee WR in my eyes. Bowe is an overhyped athlete doing a bad job of playing WR and helping his team win.
    Matt Cassel would disagree with you on calling Bowe a Diva Receiva.
    Six years is usually a long enough time to get to know a person. But Kansas City knows just one side of Dwayne Bowe, the persona he hauled out on fall Sundays.

The rest of his story may be known only to those who worked side by side with him for the Chiefs.

“People think Dwayne Bowe is one of those diva wide receivers, a loud-mouthed guy and all that,” quarterback Matt Cassel said. “But that’s not what he is at all. If you go around this locker room and talk to everyone, not one guy would say they have a problem with Dwayne Bowe and the manner he goes about his business.

“That’s the thing about Dwayne. A lot of people only see him on game day. He likes to have fun. He might do a touchdown celebration where he points to the back of his jersey and do all that. But that’s just for show. He’s not one of those guys who comes back to the huddle screaming for the ball or cussing people out. He’s respectful to players. He’s respectful to coaches. He’s not one of those guys that talks back. He just gets his work done. And then on Sunday, you know what? It’s OK to have some fun.”
    “He’s not one of those guys that’s a challenge for a quarterback to work with,” Cassel said. “He doesn’t have an ego in the locker room. He comes in, shuts his mouth and gets his work done. He’s here every day, 30 minutes before meetings start, and he’s with the receivers coach going through his routes and what he needs to do.”
    www.kansascity.com/2012/12/18/3972141/kc-may-have-seen-the-last-of-the.html
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Arlington, Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hey if we sign him, I will NOT be complaining. As long as we can get one of the 3 premiere WR in free agency, then draft a WR in the first 3 rounds, I'm happy.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would love to see Jennings on the fins but the dude is a injury concern. I don't care how well someone fits if they are not on the field then it doesn't matter. Not sure why there is all this Bowe hate on here. Dude has dropped some passes but has NEVER had a good qb and has been extremely productive. Never has he had anyone to take pressure off him like Jennings and Wallace had. This next season is a huge one for this franchise given the amount of cap space, the development of Tanny, and draft choices. Not sure I would feel comfortable throwing money at a injury risk like jennings. Volin is right about Wallace, he is a flyer plain and simple. Bowe has the best skill set of the 3 imo and he would be a nice fit on the dolphins.
    Quote Quote