Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Violent Games Legislation Introduced to US Congress

1. -41
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    If the game is rated Mature and kids under 17 are getting access to it, their parents need to step the **** up. If kids over 17 years old can't distinguish video games from reality, they need to get help.

I love the Saints Row series, GTA, Vice City, etc. I've never once wanted to go out and kick someone in the nuts and then stab them with a machete just b/c I saw it in my game.

Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    So it needs to be specific? Your dont mind censorship, you just mind it when video games are censored?

No, I want you to be specific because I donít understand your question; I will not answer a question that requires more clarification, so please clarify what you are talking about.

For someone who strives for consistency, thats not very consistent. Id image any first amendment loving individual would be opposed to any attempts at censoring a person expressing their viewpoints. Oh well, guess its back to safeguarding the second amendment by fire bombing the first amendment.

I have no idea what you are talking about.
    Total Depravity
    Unconditional Election
    Limited Atonement
    Irresistible Grace
    Perseverance of the Saints
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    If the game is rated Mature and kids under 17 are getting access to it, their parents need to step the **** up. If kids over 17 years old can't distinguish video games from reality, they need to get help.

I love the Saints Row series, GTA, Vice City, etc. I've never once wanted to go out and kick someone in the nuts and then stab them with a machete just b/c I saw it in my game.
    well... I have wanted to kick a few people in the nuts, i'm not sure if it's from the game or just a mean streak.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Lumberjack Batman

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    Sorry, I cannot and will not agree with ANY measure that changes our bill of rights. I do however recognize YOUR right to voice your opinion on the matter.
    I completely agree. I am a libertarian. I just feel that there isn't much of a difference between restrictions on an R rated movie and video games, not necessarily that they should exist.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Dub FX:
    Step On My Trip (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEPEleJVjOo
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valandui View Post
    I actually agree with the position all of you share on this, except for the gun thing where we seem diametrically opposed. What is considered appropriate is entirely subjective. The biggest problem is the government's attempt to legislate morality. That having been said, video games are way more influential on a person's mental state than a movie is and if you're going require an age limit on one, I don't really see an issue with doing it on video games.
    Well I can't speak for everyone else but I've spent my entire adult life with a fairly expansive view of the second amendment. I've always felt the NRA were a bunch of jackasses but I felt like gun ownership, while not particularly advisable, should nonetheless be allowed as the freedom for people to act is a benefit unto itself that outweighs the negatives.

Recent events have caused me to reexamine that position, to the point where I honestly don't know where I stand.

I don't agree that video games have much of an affect on one's mental state. I've never seen that proven in a study nor does it match my own experience. If anything, movies have changed my life and outlook much more, and always for the better.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sorry, I cannot and will not agree with ANY measure that changes our bill of rights. I do however recognize YOUR right to voice your opinion on the matter.
    The problem is no one can quite agree on what the Bill of Rights really says or even means. Just as an example, what's the more important part of the second amendment, "shall not be infringed" or "well regulated"?

There's no one right way to reconcile them. Nearly every bill that is being proposed or is likely to be proposed on this issue is likely to satisfy at least one of those phrases.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Lumberjack Batman

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Well I can't speak for everyone else but I've spent my entire adult life with a fairly expansive view of the second amendment. I've always felt the NRA were a bunch of jackasses but I felt like gun ownership, while not particularly advisable, should nonetheless be allowed as the freedom for people to act is a benefit unto itself that outweighs the negatives.

Recent events have caused me to reexamine that position, to the point where I honestly don't know where I stand.

I don't agree that video games have much of an affect on one's mental state. I've never seen that proven in a study nor does it match my own experience. If anything, movies have changed my life and outlook much more, and always for the better.
    I probably worded that wrong. I just meant that a 30 hour video game is more likely to influence someone's thinking than a 3 hour movie.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Statler does bring up a good point. What if the government decided that all "violent" video games should be banned. That the only games we could play are pretty much wii games. Princess and plumber s***. A clear attack on the 1st amendment. How is this any different than banning parts of the 2nd amendment??

Or what if the government decided to infringe on the 4th amendment by banning search warrants for drug suspects?? Because drugs are a major threat to the children and we have to keep them safe no matter what. Even if it only saves one life.

Or what if the government decided that we have to ban anti-government speech because it's unpatriotic and a danger to the unity of the country and more important the children?

Or what if the government decides to ban free press because we're not getting the "truth" with the media. And a one source media regulated by the government for truth of course is the best option. You barely will notice it since the media is already controlled by a few people anyways. Plus it would be best for the children.

Or what if the government decides to ban the 6th amendment for anyone they deem a threat to America, who can be held indefinitely without due process or any oversight? Even Americans.

Point being that the Bill of Rights are inalienable rights that can't be infringed on. Stop picking and choosing. And stand for the principles of liberty.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post

Playing Super Mario Bros. always gives me the desire to kick the **** out of turtles and throw balls of fire at furry mushrooms with eyes. Damn abominations.

You play on Xbox...?

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

10. -50
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    well... I have wanted to kick a few people in the nuts, i'm not sure if it's from the game or just a mean streak.
    Blame it on the rain
    Quote Quote