Quote Originally Posted by Spesh
We agree to disagree on the ban leading to a thriving black market. No doubt there will always be some supply and demand towards illegal substances. But guns, outside of ammunition, by and large do not have the repeat spending quality that drugs do. Once you have one you have it. As well, i would hope all law abiding citizens that hope to acquire protection would just go buy one of the non-banned weapons. Not to mention guns lack the addictive(for some, not all drugs) qualities that make selling drugs such a profit.

If that reasoning were true there wouldn't be a steady market currently for semi-autos, yet there is. Aside from the obvious fact that new people are born & die every day, the same attitude that makes people buy a new sports car every 5 years, or a new flat-screen every 3, or the new madden every year, is the same attitude that keeps gun demand steady. You might not understand it, I don't really get the appeal either, but apparently there's a sizable chunk of people in this country (approx 20%) who are into it; it's not that they need it, it's that they enjoy it.

Australia is a completely different beast than the United States, no where else in the world is gun enthusiasm as sky-high as it is here. 88.8% of every home owns some type of fire-arm; highest rate on the planet by a country-mile. I don't really like it, but that's the reality.

As far as mental health; in the same way it was easier for me to buy illegal drugs than legal drugs, I think the same could easily happen with weapons. One example of evidence is that the CT shooter had a harder time legally buying guns than he did otherwise. We just have differing opinions on how to handle it; you believe in a ban, I believe in regulation. It's really no more simple or complicated then that.