Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is planned for Tannehill in 2013? What do you expect?

1. -1
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jax.
    Thanks / No Thanks

In Your Opinion What is planned for Tannehill in 2013? What do you expect?

I heard on radio today about how Brady has a large playbook to pull plays from at his discretion. I heard that the 49ers have myriad plays for Kaepernick to go with.

In reverse fashion, we understand that Sherman gave Tannehill a basic playbook with select plays to go with. Plays he was comfortable with in college. Mostly due to his lack of experience from college in the qb spot.

Well now he has a year of NFL experience under his belt, and he has seen the defenses, speed of play, and intricacies presented to him. I'm hoping Sherman will add more plays and have confidence that Ryan can make good adjustments at the line. Even better than he did this year.

So for the second part of my question to you, I expect a confident, even more poised Tannehill to come into camp with a "Take the ACF East by storm" mentality. He has played the Pats, Jets, and Bills twice, both home and away. I'm not saying he didnt have a killer attitude this season, its just that he had to experience a year under NFL duress first.

So how do you think the coaching staff will improve Tanny next season, and what do you expect of Tanny?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zach attach View Post

In reverse fashion, we understand that Sherman gave Tannehill a basic playbook with select plays to go with. Plays he was comfortable with in college. Mostly due to his lack of experience from college in the qb spot.
    I don't follow high school football at all, but a relative who lives in Texas had an interesting observation that from pop warner on up through high school, QBs in Texas are given a relatively small set of plays to work from. He didn't mention Tannehill, but said that was definitely the case with Matt Stafford and RGIII.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jax.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thats an interesting point. I wonder if it has any validity. Maybe the region is just set up that way.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    I really do think Philbin and Sherman "protected" Tannehill in his first year and put him in a position to succeed and limited his risk taking. Sherman was definitely added more to Tannehill as the season went on, especially incorporating the read option in December. I think the reigns come off of Tannehill in year two and they will allow him to do more than his rookie season. A full offseason is also going to help Tannehill learn more and be able to do more in year two. I think we could see a huge leap in Tannehill next season.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    League Dominator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St. Pete Beach, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    I really do think Philbin and Sherman "protected" Tannehill in his first year and put him in a position to succeed and limited his risk taking. Sherman was definitely added more to Tannehill as the season went on, especially incorporating the read option in December. I think the reigns come off of Tannehill in year two and they will allow him to do more than his rookie season. A full offseason is also going to help Tannehill learn more and be able to do more in year two. I think we could see a huge leap in Tannehill next season.
    Good assessment, I thought they protected him as well. A full offseason and some legitimate playmakers will help a lot.
    Jets suck, Bills suck, Patriots suck.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Just trust me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Centreville Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    To get at least a decent bit better, if not a whole lot better.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

FH

Here's what I expect:

1. Wider array of formations.
    It's year 2 of the Philbin system and greater complexity can be applied. ZBS is installed, WR's route hot-reads are known, now we can start changing up the looks.

2. More diversity in play design.
    At the beginning of the year we focused on underneath stuff. As the season progressed we introduced deeper routes and play action stuff. Late in the season we incorporated more passes to the backs and runs. With the base laid, we will be free to add more non-basic plays.

3. Different personnel groupings.
    We didn't have the WR's to run 3, 4, and 5 WR sets. We couldn't take advantage of 2 TE sets becasue we only had 1 servicable TE. Through FA and the Draft I expect to add significant personnel allowing us to run spread formations, empty backfields, and bunch formations with far greater production than was possible in 2012. Hopefully we'll have enough decent TE's to take advantage of that occasionally too making our offense much harder to gameplan against.

4. Deep threats.
    As Mike Mayock put it, teams played red zone defense against us for 80 yards instead of just 20 since we had no deep threat. Our offense couldn't open holes for Bush because there was always a safety in the box. CB's never needed to allow a cushion because 1 deep safety could always catch up to any WR that beat the CB. This offseason we will add speed at WR and possibly a seam threat TE. This will force defenses to play us normally instead of 80 yards of red zone defense. If they don't, we'll get a lot of long TD passes. If they do, we'll have open receivers underneath and less congested running lanes ... kind of like we did in the first few games of 2012 before teams figured out the Dolphins were impotent deep.

5. Audibles.
    Tannehill changed coverage well and showed more pre-snap read skill than I had anticipated. But, I think the larger playbook and his familiarity with it and the opponents will allow him to be more effective audibling, so I suspect we will see more of it.

6. Play action.
    Once we force the safety out of the box with speed WR's, we can open up running lanes and establish a running threat. This makes Tannehill's excellent play action fakes more effective, so I think we will see a lot more of it. We aren't going to be Houston, but it should produce chunk yardage plays in most games.

7. Arm strength.
    One of the things that tends to improve after a QB reaches the NFL is the velocity of their throws. Tannehill already has decent arm strength--he can already make all the throws as his success with the sideline routes shows. But, he doesn't have a cannon for an arm. I suspect his arm will get stronger, his passes faster, and it will allow him a split second longer of holding the ball and letting the WR get open before committing the pass. This tends to cause growing pains including sacks, late throws, and sometimes throwing without setting his feet properly, but in the end it will benefit him and us.

8. Offensive Tempo.
    We tried to establish an up-tempo offense with a new blocking scheme, 1 mediocre TE, 1 decent WR, no deep threat, no consistent run game, a lazy and poor RG, a rookie RT, and a rookie QB. It didn't work. Shocker. But, most of these things will be significantly improved in year 2. I expect our offense to be much better on 1st down, more successful on 3rd down, and to start stringing together long drives. We're not going to turn into the Green Bay Packers overnight, but I think we will have the up-tempo offense Philbin wants. We will be able to run more offensive plays and get the offense tired and off-balance while our offense finds its rythem.

9. Talent.
    Let's face it, this offense was in the ugly duckling phase in 2012. Our offense needed a lot of talent, and we didn't get it. Tannehill was a great pick IMHO. Martin looked like a good pick, but his lack of power proved severely problematic. Egnew was a failure last season and may be a bust, although the book hasn't finished beeing written on that one. Chad Johnson didn't work out. BJ Cunningham was a half-hearted attempt to shore up the WR corps. Rishard Matthews may be an acorn, but the jury is still out. Lamar Miller was an investment and I feel it worked well, but he's still raw, small and sucks in pass protection. He stayed healthy, looked like a good runner, and caught a few balls though, so I rate that one a mild success so far. Martin has the mind, attitude, mobility, frame, and determination to be good. Now he just needs to work overtime on acquiring the power to play in the NFL. If he can't get it, he's not an NFL starter I'm afraid. But, I suspect he will.

IMHO, we will get Greg Jennings in FA. He is worlds better than Chad Johnson on and off the football field. He knows the system like the back of his hands, he is a leader, and he is a perfect fit into the system, locker room, and concept Philbin has for the Dolphins. Major talent hole filled. But, he is older and had a lot of injuries this season, so I suspect injuries to be problematic going forward as well. There will be plenty of playing time for many new WR's. I will be shocked if we do not pick up 2 high draft pick WR's this year. I'm less confident it will happen, but I'm hoping for a seam threat TE like Eifert or Ertz as well. I think Tannehill's 2013 season may surprise some sceptics, but I expect him to be one of the very best QB's in the league with 5 or less years experience next year.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They also kept him relatively healthy.
    Pat
    Offensive Coordinator
    www.londonblitz.com
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    @ Digital - great recap, agree with all you say, especially on the TE point.

One addition with respect to the arm strength. I'd like to see better, faster and more complete rotation, at times he tended to rely on flicking the arm/wrist to throw versus really getting his body into the throw. It takes all good QB's time/years to develop this, but I'd like to see development in the area at least.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat-London View Post
    @ Digital - great recap, agree with all you say, especially on the TE point.

One addition with respect to the arm strength. I'd like to see better, faster and more complete rotation, at times he tended to rely on flicking the arm/wrist to throw versus really getting his body into the throw. It takes all good QB's time/years to develop this, but I'd like to see development in the area at least.
    Thanks Pat! Good point as well. Given our line play and adjusting to the NFL speed of play I'm sure it was challenging for him, and as you mentioned it is a development area that he will likely improve upon in year 2. I must admit though, it does give me a little bit of happiness to see a QB who can flick the ball again. We really haven't seen anyone with that particular ability since Dan Marino, who was probably the best of all time at that.
    Quote Quote