Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Curious Case of Michael Egnew

1. -1
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

The Curious Case of Michael Egnew

What in the hell happened with this guy between the draft and the start of training camp? On tape as a draft prospect he showed everything you look for in a raw tight end with significant upside. He had the frame, the speed, the quickness, the agility, and a willingness to get hit and block. He looked like a matchup nightmare. I was really excited when they drafted him.

Then...he showed up to training camp with a huge ass and shrunken muscles. Not sure I can say I've ever seen that happen before. It's like he got drafted, stopped working out, and began the fast food cycle...McDonalds in the morning, Burger King at lunch, and Wendy's for dinner...and pizza in between as a snack. It was a scene...as we all witnessed.

What does this all mean? It means two things. 1. Since it looks like he threw in the towel, and his dignity, in a losing bout with maturity, it means there is, from a theoretical stand point, still hope. 2. It means we will know where we stand the second he steps on the field for his first practice of training camp. On that day, if he passes the eyeball test, we will have one of those "playmakers" Miami is so lacking. If he doesn't, that means there is no hope and we can expect him to be a camp casualty.

So, the jury is not out. But, I suspect it will be in late July. Here's hoping he he's got it in him.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Don't Hate Miami

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    FIU - Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The leash is going to be real short on him - if he goes to minicamps out of shape, I think they cut him then and there.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    What happened?

He sucks.

/thread

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Don't Hate Miami

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    FIU - Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    What happened?

He sucks.

/thread
    It's never that simple, tyler.
    Michael could have had a fake girlfriend, and could have been involved in some cruel hoax. Maybe that was why he was at McDonalds quarter pounding rather than in the weight room during the offseason.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    6 of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I say cut him and forget about him. If he doesn't have the dedication to play football, let him get a regular 9-5 and be motivated. If millions, fame and playing for a professional team in Miami can't motivate you, I don't know what will.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I dont know what tape u looked at. yes in shorts he looks that way but he showed a history of not being able to make yardage after catch and couldnt block the sun out of your face
    When Death Smiles Upon You the Infantryman smiles back
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Clearwater, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    The fascination with this guy is unreal to me.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    RIP Gary Moore

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Temecula, Ca.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Miamifinz View Post
    Bro I think it has become so as that is one of the positions we so much want to improve and most of the season he was in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops on the sideline. I hope we resign Fasano and draft a stud at TE or sign a FA that can come in and help this team.
    Last edited by Fin Fan in Cali; 01-19-2013 at 02:23 AM.

Thanks to Like2God for the great Avatar/Sig!

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Don't Hate Miami

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    FIU - Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Miamifinz View Post
    Probably because we spent a high draft pick on him and expected more from him.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Maybe he did steroids in college, signed a multimillion dollar contract, then stopped doing steroids in the NFL because he knew he would be caught.

Catlin said the collegiate system, in which players often are notified days before a test and many schools don't even test for steroids, is designed to not catch dopers. That artificially reduces the numbers of positive tests and keeps schools safe from embarrassing drug scandals.

While other major sports have been beset by revelations of steroid use, college football has operated with barely a whiff of scandal. Between 1996 and 2010 -- the era of Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Marion Jones and Lance Armstrong -- the failure rate for NCAA steroid tests fell even closer to zero from an already low rate of less than 1 percent.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ll-report-says
    That's basically what happened to Tony Mandarich. He was a steroid monster in college, was hyped as the best offensive lineman prospect ever, signed a huge NFL contract, stopped doing steroids, and lost all his strength & power.

Mandarich said he only did steroids in college, not in the NFL. "The way I cheated on the drug test in college would not have worked in the NFL," Mandarich said. "That's why I stopped." Mandarich explained that in college, your back was turned to the monitor when taking the urine test. In the NFL they watched you from the front.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/dan...241/index.html

Mandarich had stopped taking steroids just before the combine for fear of getting caught by the NFL drug-testers. Those guys actually watch you fill the cup from point-blank range. No dog toys to save him there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4073575
    Quote Quote