Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Curious Case of Michael Egnew

1. -21
    Football Guru

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Miamifinz View Post
    Over 250 people get drafted every year, with many more signing on to teams as undrafted FA. A lot of picks won't pan out and no one should be surprised if he never touches the field for us. If he's a bust (very likely) then we need to move on. We can't sit around and hope Egnew improves leaps and bounds and just roll with Fasano Clay and company again.

I understand he is a part of the trade for B Marsh but who cares at this point? If we end up getting shafted on that trade then so be it - cant force the guy to be a starter just because of Brandon Marshall. There were many reasons we let 19 go and no one should expect to replace his on the field production with two 3rd round picks. We missed on Hilton like an assload of other teams did as well, oh well. Im talking about one Mike Egnew.

It's not like he's some great player who knows the entire play book by heart and the coaches forgot about him. There's a reason Jeron freaking Mastrud is ahead of him on the depth chart and its because he isn't very good right now. That could change but if he could barely sniff the field with our horrible TE corps last year then that tells me nearly all I need to know.

Could someone please tell me why in the hell Mastrud has a job in the NFL? Fact is, he wouldn't if it weren't for the Dolphins. The guy is a stiff who is a slow clumsy unathletic oaf.
    Please God, let me see 1 Dolphins Superbowl victory before I die.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I was getting a bit nervous, a full week without an Egnew thread.

I'm impressed with lunch at Burger King. If that continues he could still be a player.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johngarry View Post
    vox populi say "cut him, forget him" and "loser, wasted pick, bust”… but over the last 15yrs our Dolphins have been the team of 'turn em loose, and see them turned into pros - playmakers - and Pro Bowlers elsewhere. hell, Welkers headed to the Hall! imo, this team has failed those "late bloomers" by insisting on cookie-cutter formulaic motivational tools, instead of gut instincts. why's Belichick so good at getting even the most malevolent malcontents motivated to think the "Patriot Way"? my guess, is using a simple parenting tool; find out what they value most about football (and life), and break them down with it. nothing motivates young'uns to come correct faster than removing or severely limiting their access to the thing they love the most. since EggFu's cap hit this season makes it cheaper to keep him… I say make him stand, not sit, on the sideline of every game… every game; home and away. make him water the guys along the sideline; have him slingin towels & Gatorade. being the teams $2.5m "Waterboy" will get pretty embarrassing at the clubs, and with his boys. and don't have him lift with the team; make him lift with the train staff only. make him eat at the back end table in the comm; have him shower after everybody else… guarantee you'd see a different Egnew.

Packers used similar tactics with James Jones… took 5 seasons… boy's and all-star now.
    Very bad example. James Jones showed a hell of a lot in his rookie year and has had a productive career up until this point where hitting his prime has coincided with being given an opportunity and he has taken it up a level. But he has shown an ability to play in this league from the minute he stepped into it.

As far as Egnew... There are a lot of athletes who don't make it in this league. He didn't show that much in college and mentally doesn't seem to be all there. He has a great broad jump but it takes a bit more to edge out Gronk for a pro bowl spot. I'd love to see him turn it around, but I don't think he's ever shown enough to suggest he will.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Was it me or did he look like the spitting image of Homer Simpson every time the coaches addressed him during Hard Knocks? I mean, Incognito hacked into his iPad for crying out loud. Talking brains - he just doesn't look like a kid who has much upstairs...
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    It's Only Happened ONCE!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johngarry View Post
    vox populi say "cut him, forget him" and "loser, wasted pick, bust”… but over the last 15yrs our Dolphins have been the team of 'turn em loose, and see them turned into pros - playmakers - and Pro Bowlers elsewhere. hell, Welkers headed to the Hall! imo, this team has failed those "late bloomers" by insisting on cookie-cutter formulaic motivational tools, instead of gut instincts. why's Belichick so good at getting even the most malevolent malcontents motivated to think the "Patriot Way"? my guess, is using a simple parenting tool; find out what they value most about football (and life), and break them down with it. nothing motivates young'uns to come correct faster than removing or severely limiting their access to the thing they love the most. since EggFu's cap hit this season makes it cheaper to keep him… I say make him stand, not sit, on the sideline of every game… every game; home and away. make him water the guys along the sideline; have him slingin towels & Gatorade. being the teams $2.5m "Waterboy" will get pretty embarrassing at the clubs, and with his boys. and don't have him lift with the team; make him lift with the train staff only. make him eat at the back end table in the comm; have him shower after everybody else… guarantee you'd see a different Egnew.

Packers used similar tactics with James Jones… took 5 seasons… boy's and all-star now.
    Case in point, wasn't Texas Pro Bowler Wade Smith a former Dolphin? What about the RG for the Patriots?
    You Play to Win the Game!
    In It to Win It!

Quote Quote