Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Staff continuity big for Tannehill's growth

1. -1
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo

Staff continuity big for Tannehill's growth

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...d-be-a-/nT2Z5/

The last thing the Dolphins want Ryan Tannehill to become is Alex Smith or Jason Campbell

The two quarterbacks, both drafted in 2005, are case studies in how not to develop a young quarterback. Smith, picked No. 1 overall by San Francisco, had seven offensive coordinators in seven seasons. Campbell, picked No. 25 by Washington, has played for nine offensive coordinators in his career – four at Auburn, five in the NFL.

Few doubt that having to learn a new system and become comfortable with a new playcaller each offseason stunted their growth.

“Continuity is huge,” Daniel Jeremiah, a former quarterback at Appalachian State and scout for three NFL teams, said the other day at the East-West Shrine Game in St. Pete. “There are two things that go a long way toward developing a quarterback – the offensive line in front of him, and continuity in the playcalling.”

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Will Sherman always be there? How is Philbin going to ever fire his old teach and boss.
    A strong sign we have not improved, is the same tired threads on the forum every year.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Finland View Post
    Will Sherman always be there? How is Philbin going to ever fire his old teach and boss.
    He won't always be here, I think a college at some point will come calling again for him. There is no need to fire him at this point or really consider that option after just one year. He made mistakes in his first year as the play caller, but I think a big part was the fact that he put reins on Tannehill in his first year. I would expect the reins to come off in year two.

I don't have a problem with head coaches hiring assistants that they are familiar with. It happens every year, in fact just today Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley hired Jedd Fisch as his OC. They worked together in Seattle. Doug Marrone hired 7 assistants that coached with him at Syracuse.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    He won't always be here, I think a college at some point will come calling again for him. There is no need to fire him at this point or really consider that option after just one year. He made mistakes in his first year as the play caller, but I think a big part was the fact that he put reins on Tannehill in his first year. I would expect the reins to come off in year two.

I don't have a problem with head coaches hiring assistants that they are familiar with. It happens every year, in fact just today Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley hired Jedd Fisch as his OC. They worked together in Seattle. Doug Marrone hired 7 assistants that coached with him at Syracuse.
    Philbin and Sherman did a lot more than work together if I am correct. I think they have the Green Bay thing, Philbin I heard was his teaching assistant at one point and also his student. I understand it goes on all the time but I bet in this case Philbin would be hard pressed to be heavy handed to him. Philbin might also put too much stock in to his grand mentor's opinion. Maybe not we will see. But he did already go with the QB his old boss suggested. Hopefully it all works out great.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

Re: Staff continuity big for Tannehill's growth

Sherman is fine. To get any production at all from our offense last year is an achievement.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Touchdown

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    DeFuniak Springs Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Some continuity is good for any quarterback early in their career. Luckily Tannehill has that and now some more playmakers to throw the ball to will go a long way in his development.

Just win Phin baby!
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    It's one of the FEW reasons to place a checkmark in the "Keep Jeff Ireland" column. I really didn't want a new GM to come in and clean house (although we should of cleaned house before Philbin/Tannehill even arrived.).
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Philbin is an idiot

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Philbin is an idiot
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Good for the rookie. It'll be interesting to see how he adjusts when and if he does get a new coordinator since he has basically run the same offense since college.
    Philbin is an idiot.
    Quote Quote