Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Credible Financial Site Ranks Miami 2nd Worst-Run City In US

1. -1
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks

Credible Financial Site Ranks Miami 2nd Worst-Run City In US

24/7Wall Street also ranks Hialeah as 5th worst. Ironically, Miami ranks worse than even Detroit

I dunno that The Fins should really financially continue to hitch their cart to a city oft derided as a "banana republic" from a political standpoint vs finding a corporate partner to situate a custom made stadium in a central site in a more stable municipality and accessible to a more affluent and mainstream demographics base -like near the Bank Atlantic Stadium in Sunrise at the edge of the Everglades. Perhaps instead of the major rehab, Mr Ross should do some upgrading with an eye towards eventually turning Joe Robbie into a soccer and special events stadium. (hell, maybe we'll even attract better beat writers LOL)

2. Miami, Fla.
    > Population: 408,760
    > Credit rating: A2, negative outlook
    > Violent crime per 1,000 people: 11.98 (12th highest)
    > Unemployment rate: 12.4% (17th highest)

Between 2007 and 2011, the median home value in Miami fell by 43.5%. Additionally, the city had one of the nation’s lowest median household incomes, at under $29,000, while 31% of residents lived below the poverty line — nearly twice the U.S. rate of 15.9%. Despite the difficult economic conditions Miamians faced, the city joined with Miami-Dade County to pay for almost 80% of the more-than $600 million cost of building a new baseball stadium for the Miami Marlins. The deal has caused significant uproar. While taxpayers pay extremely high costs to service the stadium debt, the team has traded many of its top players. In 2011, the SEC launched an investigation into the agreement.

Link to Miami as the second worst run city

Link to methodologies used to develop the rankings

"Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Oh but don't post these facts here, according to some people here fans are required to buy tickets and if they lived here they would buy tickets too. What they don't know is that if they moved here there's a good chance they may not find a job for a good while.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't live in Miami so I don't know the stat but I am shocked that the population is that low. Is that correct? I thought the population was in the millions? Interesting approach the stadium subject.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    League Dominator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St. Pete Beach, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ft. Lauderdale > Miami
    Jets suck, Bills suck, Patriots suck.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Miami is my favoirte place on earth...whatevs. I wish I could travel there more often.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matt11390 View Post
    I don't live in Miami so I don't know the stat but I am shocked that the population is that low. Is that correct? I thought the population was in the millions? Interesting approach the stadium subject.
    Really? Have you been to a city with millions? Places like Toronto/Chicago have 2.7 million. And trust me, once you've been there, you'll realize that Miami is nowhere near it... simply because you can park places in Miami with relative ease! LOL
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SQuinn17 View Post
    Ft. Lauderdale > Miami
    xInfinite

Miami is a joke. Great city overall, but the people that run Miami are straight up frauds.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the city of miami is pretty small. its the metro area that is heavily populated. I believe its near 3 million. Everyone goes all throughout the metro area.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No.

Inside of city limits, Miami has roughly 400K in population. Columbus, Ohio is actually bigger than Miami. In Miami-Dade County, there are only roughly 2.5M in population.

Now, if we're talking metropolitan areas, the Miami Metro area is one of the largest in the country because it encompasses Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Deerfield Beach, Jupiter, Pompano Beach, West Palm Beach, Boca Raton and other surrounding communities.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ... how is "Miami Metro" encompassing West Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter + Tequesta? That's just not true. When surveys reference "Miami Metro" they are talking about https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&sa...&ved=0CNUBELYD

Not places that are in different counties + over 100 miles away.

The U.S. Office of Management and Budget designates the area the Miami–Fort Lauderdale–Pompano Beach, FL
    Also according to the Office of Management and Budget, the Miami Metro area (the real one) has over 5 million people :stare: I had no idea.
    Quote Quote