Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Credible Financial Site Ranks Miami 2nd Worst-Run City In US

1. -21
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Being real about my personal experience in this city, as much as I love Miami, if I could move out of here and it guaranteed me a job elsewhere I would. I've been unemployed for 3 weeks now, been doing some side jobs here and there to put money in the bank, but jeez is it ever hard to get a freaking interview these days. Even with all the experience in several areas I have, I sometimes have to resort to getting a job that is below my resume at times just to work.

It is what it is, the good thing is I am not a spender even when I've had very good paying jobs before so there's always been money in the bank to support myself and family.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdawg954 View Post
    Of course not, imagine if the Everglades didn't exist . . . I think the population would be pushing over 20 million by now
    Speaking of the Everglades, did you get signed up?

http://www.southflorida.com/news/fl-...,2517705.story

Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertical Limit View Post
    Being real about my personal experience in this city, as much as I love Miami, if I could move out of here and it guaranteed me a job elsewhere I would. I've been unemployed for 3 weeks now, been doing some side jobs here and there to put money in the bank, but jeez is it ever hard to get a freaking interview these days. Even with all the experience in several areas I have, I sometimes have to resort to getting a job that is below my resume at times just to work.

It is what it is, the good thing is I am not a spender even when I've had very good paying jobs before so there's always been money in the bank to support myself and family.
    Sad. What is your background in?
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertical Limit View Post

The biggest issue with Miami is if you are not bilingual, you aren't getting a good job. That is where this "banana republic" as Vaark stated it is the full truth. Companies will take less qualified people in a heartbeat (and I may way underqualified) because they speak 2 languages and that is why this city/area is turning into a crap hole.

The biggest reason I have not purchased a house in South Florida (and I've lived here my entire life) is because I am not sure I wanna be here to raise a family.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The biggest issue with Miami is if you are not bilingual, you aren't getting a good job. That is where this "banana republic" as Vaark stated it is the full truth. Companies will take less qualified people in a heartbeat (and I may way underqualified) because they speak 2 languages and that is why this city/area is turning into a crap hole.

The biggest reason I have not purchased a house in South Florida (and I've lived here my entire life) is because I am not sure I wanna be here to raise a family.
    Damn right. I am leaving Miami when the financial time is right, the sooner the better. Will always be a Dolphin fan though
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks

It's tough. It's one reason why a lot of people leave South Florida. Too much of a language barrier to begin with and jobs are scarce. Unless you can find something concrete in Lauderdale or Palm Beach, it just makes sense to bolt. Violent crimes in Miami, gangs in North Miami, etc. It's not easy. Can't blame anyone if they didn't want to raise a family there. All of the people who are raised as Dolphin fans leave South Florida and then Dolphin fans can't figure out why we can't fill a stadium on Sunday.

It's easy to have all the answers when you're on the outside of the box.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    What lol? That map is for Miami METRORAIL and other locations that begin with metro, etc., lol.

The Miami Metro AREA extends all the way up to Palm Beach County. SOFLA.
    The quote I posted was direct from the Federal Government site for the Budget. Miami Metro Area does not extend up to Palm Beach County. It may have in the past? I'm not sure.

For purposes of budgeting... and the census itself... the US Government seems to label the Miami Metro Area as Miami - Ft Lauderdale - Pompano.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...ins/b10-02.pdf

Silly debate regardless. My fault for starting it.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy685 View Post
    The quote I posted was direct from the Federal Government site for the Budget. Miami Metro Area does not extend up to Palm Beach County. It may have in the past? I'm not sure.

For purposes of budgeting... and the census itself... the US Government seems to label the Miami Metro Area as Miami - Ft Lauderdale - Pompano.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...ins/b10-02.pdf

Silly debate regardless. My fault for starting it.
    It is labeled that way, but it includes West Palm Beach as well. It is Jupiter to Homestead . . . and that is the area they track for the census for this Metro area.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy685 View Post
    The quote I posted was direct from the Federal Government site for the Budget. Miami Metro Area does not extend up to Palm Beach County. Not sure why you're sticking to this.

For purposes of budgeting... and the census itself... the US Government seems to label the Miami Metro Area as Miami - Ft Lauderdale - Pompano. Not sure where you're getting your "facts' from, but lol away!

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/assets/bulletins/b10-02.pdf

Actually, my understanding is that the metro area, as defined by advertisers and other commercial entities is considered "South Florida" and does extend from Homestead to West Palm. it's not unlike the NY Metro area encompassing adjacent parts of NJ and CT. I think we're getting bogged down in semantics. What's more pertinent, IMO, is that the more stable, affluent demographics that are Fins Fans in general are north and somewhat to the west of Miami Dade County with the likelihood that there'd be more receptivity to attending games if the stadium was situated more centrally. Hell, putting the stadium near the Sawgrass Mills Mall would make the commute from West Palm less than an hour and from the affluent Martin County including Jupiter, a lot more do-able also. Also moving the stadium out of the clutches of chronically graft-ridden 3rd world type politics removes the Fins from the foibles of corruption and arbitrary policy reversals. Personally I love the diversity that is South Florida, but factually, the handsign that was once put up at the Broward border on *I 95 saying "welcome to America" was more stating a reality than it was a slur.

"Don't take QB advice from the guy who wants to sleep with Mark Sanchez!"
    CooterHooterKnocker, Buffalo Range member, 10-4-2014

Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Resiliency is the key.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm from Montreal and just got back from Miami last night after a 7 day stay in Kendall. Spent a couple of days in Miami beach and went out to Liv last Saturday night. All I could say is my 40 year love for Miami is stronger than ever. My wife and I were just talking this morning about moving there. I love it. Just one thing though. No one speaks English!!!!!!!!! It's unbelievable. The Walmart the public the Walgreens nobody spoke English. How is this possible? Anyways I still love the city and always will. It's simply beautiful!!!
    Quote Quote