Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 98

Thread: Credible Financial Site Ranks Miami 2nd Worst-Run City In US

  1. -41
    daniel3's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2005
    Posts:
    1,005
    vCash:
    1643
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtlfinfan View Post
    I'm from Montreal and just got back from Miami last night after a 7 day stay in Kendall. Spent a couple of days in Miami beach and went out to Liv last Saturday night. All I could say is my 40 year love for Miami is stronger than ever. My wife and I were just talking this morning about moving there. I love it. Just one thing though. No one speaks English!!!!!!!!! It's unbelievable. The Walmart the public the Walgreens nobody spoke English. How is this possible? Anyways I still love the city and always will. It's simply beautiful!!!
    Hell, even spanish speakers find it weird no one in Kendall speaks english.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -42
    Kdawg954's Avatar
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    14,758
    vCash:
    3451
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by illscriptures View Post
    We also have one of the highest aids/HIV rates in the country and one of the lowest graduation rates in the country as well. Can you blame us? We are the deepest city in the South. THE SOUTH! The birthplace of ignorance and backwards thinking. In a country where the key issues are gun control and the president's race instead of education and healthcare. I would never root for the Davie Dolphins or the West Palm Beach Tortoises. Sorry.

    Miami is arguably one of the most diverse cities amongst minorities in all of the world, even in just those 400k of people, most people are of hispanic decent but from different countries, followed by blacks, and the biggest minority being caucasions. But when you include the Metro-Dade Area of South Florida the ethnical diversity is diluted, and you then have these upper class or "upper class thinking" individuals who feel their town full of over privileged retirees would be better served by an NFL team.

    I'm sorry but Miami's inner city, like most inner cities, is full of poverty, but in Miami the poverty rate is larger mostly due to the large amount of hispanic immigrants that are instantly poor from the moment they step onto U.S. soil. People who left desperately bad situations in their home countries, which they love, all in hopes to one day progress to just a regular life, but who are faced with the reality that even people in the U.S., specifically and specially the poor, go hungry and get gunned down for papers with peoples faces on it.

    These sports teams, like the Lions, Browns, Raiders, Dolphins, Ravens, etc. are beacons of hope in inner cities marred by the reality of what it means to be poor and unable in the "land of opportunity" blinding the hopeless with the dreams of gridiron gold and the ability to dream of a life that even a god would dream of, in a place where most have only had the opportunity to simply dream.

    I will tell you one thing though, that stat sheet can't measure heart and culture, something that Miami has more of than any other city in the United States. I am 26 years old and I have lived in Miami since I was 4 years old. When I was 13, I moved to Hialeah. I have traveled all over the U.S. and I have visited several countries in Central and Southern America as well as some in Asia. That is why I feel it is safe to say that Miami, undoubtedly, has more of a je ne se quoi than any other city within a 5,000 mile radius, making it more than deserving to have any and all of the sports teams it does have.

    Broward County and West Palm are just mad because no one cares about old people and palm trees. Get over it.

    Miami has the most beautiful people in the world. No one in the history of beauty has ever said " the most beautiful people come from Ft. Lauderdale." Get over it.
    Your ignorance towards Broward and Palm Beach put a dark lining on your feelings for Miami-Dade. Miami has been poor well before it was overrun by Cubans and other Hispanics. The black community was always the heart of Miami was in regards to being "THE SOUTH" and now poor "English" speaking adults who grew up in poverty can't even get a minimum wage job because they can't speak a language they have no business having to learn to keep a roof over their heads? What is so glorious about that ****? That **** is a disgrace. When people talk about "the most beautiful people being in Miami" they sure aren't talking about those 400K that live in the inner city. The people "quoted" saying that have only been across the bridge to get to/from the airport. They sure weren't with me in Liberty City at the Martin Luther King Parade every year.

    And what does old people and palm trees have to do with anything? Have you been to parts of Sistrunk, Dania Beach, Lauderhill, Riviera Beach, Boynton Beach, Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach? I know people from Miami that absolutely REFUSE to go in areas because they are just as poverty stricken and full of violence/AIDS as parts of Miami are. Who cares? Welcome to the real world and welcome to urban life in major cities. Doesn't mean as a English speaking man I have to be looked down upon because I don't speak a language that isn't even native to my country. If that is what makes Miami this Shang Ri La to you, you can have it. Throw in the corrupt politics and nepitism that runs rapid down there and I just don't see how anybody can call that place special.

    Sure there is culture. I love the women in Miami, mainly because of the diversity, I love the many different kinds of food that are available. I love the weather and I love the women (yea I said it twice) . . . but my reason for being here is different from yours . . . I'm here because 90% of my family lives in Dade/Broward counties and I'm a family person . . . my wife and I also have degrees in business management and travel/hospitality and Fort Lauderdale is home to the 2 largest cruise ships in the world and an expanding airport along with approvals for big table gambling for downtown Fort Lauderdale and the largest Outlet Mall in the world . . . and I want to be in the middle of what is going to be a big scene in the upcomming years.

    I have family in Colorado that absolutely love it there, I got family in Atlanta that loves it there and in North Carolina as well . . . nobody misses this place. All they miss is the warm winters and family.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -43
    fishfanmiami's Avatar
    grip it and rip it

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2008
    Posts:
    7,761
    vCash:
    10504
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin


    What not to like ? Now just give me another superbowl win before I die and I'll be a happy camper.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -44
    JCane's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    15,951
    vCash:
    8782
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdawg954 View Post
    Your ignorance towards Broward and Palm Beach put a dark lining on your feelings for Miami-Dade. Miami has been poor well before it was overrun by Cubans and other Hispanics. The black community was always the heart of Miami was in regards to being "THE SOUTH" and now poor "English" speaking adults who grew up in poverty can't even get a minimum wage job because they can't speak a language they have no business having to learn to keep a roof over their heads? What is so glorious about that ****? That **** is a disgrace. When people talk about "the most beautiful people being in Miami" they sure aren't talking about those 400K that live in the inner city. The people "quoted" saying that have only been across the bridge to get to/from the airport. They sure weren't with me in Liberty City at the Martin Luther King Parade every year.

    And what does old people and palm trees have to do with anything? Have you been to parts of Sistrunk, Dania Beach, Lauderhill, Riviera Beach, Boynton Beach, Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach? I know people from Miami that absolutely REFUSE to go in areas because they are just as poverty stricken and full of violence/AIDS as parts of Miami are. Who cares? Welcome to the real world and welcome to urban life in major cities. Doesn't mean as a English speaking man I have to be looked down upon because I don't speak a language that isn't even native to my country. If that is what makes Miami this Shang Ri La to you, you can have it. Throw in the corrupt politics and nepitism that runs rapid down there and I just don't see how anybody can call that place special.

    Sure there is culture. I love the women in Miami, mainly because of the diversity, I love the many different kinds of food that are available. I love the weather and I love the women (yea I said it twice) . . . but my reason for being here is different from yours . . . I'm here because 90% of my family lives in Dade/Broward counties and I'm a family person . . . my wife and I also have degrees in business management and travel/hospitality and Fort Lauderdale is home to the 2 largest cruise ships in the world and an expanding airport along with approvals for big table gambling for downtown Fort Lauderdale and the largest Outlet Mall in the world . . . and I want to be in the middle of what is going to be a big scene in the upcomming years.

    I have family in Colorado that absolutely love it there, I got family in Atlanta that loves it there and in North Carolina as well . . . nobody misses this place. All they miss is the warm winters and family.
    Fort Lauderdale and Miami are very special places so I agree with both of you to a degree.

    I have traveled all over the United States. Lived in Kansas City and Philadelphia. Currently call Greenville, South Carolina home. I've spent time working in Washington, DC and seen all there is to see. I've been to Baltimore to Pittsburgh to amish country to Times Square to Boston to Providence to New Hampshire to Vermont and sat on the coast of Maine with incredible seafood dinners.

    Climbed the mountains of the Appalachians, gamble in Biloxi, partied on Bourbon Street, celebrated New Year's in New Mexico, looked across the border into Juarez, Mexico from high rise mountains in El Paso.

    Been all over Chicago and Detroit. Seen Mount Ranier on a clear day in Seattle from the top of the Space Needle, threw fish at Pike Place Market and done and seen a whole lot more.

    But my heart & soul will forever stay in South Florida. You can leave South Florida but it never leaves you. There's nothing else like it in the entire world. It's an incredibly special place.

    Quote Quote  

  5. -45
    Awsi Dooger's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    6,541
    vCash:
    10357
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You don't solve anything by moving to a compromise location. That's the worst possible strategy. It guarantees you'll always be on the edge of the Everglades and therefore all but irrelevant. That area has no history and no pull. It reminds me of University of Miami leaders who looked at maps and lists of season ticket holders while trying to rationalize Sun Life as a positive switch, while conveniently ignoring that 25 miles removed from campus was a natural negative.

    Make no mistake, the Dolphins would be in far better shape if Joe Robbie had relocated to the heart of the city. Attendance and otherwise. A great city always has opportunity to rebound, and the negatives are likely exaggerated to begin with. Quite often there's a natural lag. You'll read the most dire assessments when the area has already begun to reassert. It's like football or any sport, where a formerly great player has more chance to restore to that level than a mediocrity who has always been a mediocrity. Jeff Ireland seldom grasps that. He puts faith in Richard Marshall types. They perform on Everglades level, where they've always been. The auto industry debate was another example. There's always a big chunk willing to notice 30% efficiency and pronounce it will soon plummet to zero, instead of calmly recognizing there are foundational reasons the average has been above 70% for decades.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -46
    Awsi Dooger's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    6,541
    vCash:
    10357
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    Currently call Greenville, South Carolina home.
    You probably hang out at Shank's Driving Range
    Quote Quote  

  7. -47
    JCane's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    15,951
    vCash:
    8782
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    You probably hang out at Shank's Driving Range
    If I play golf, I head to The Cliffs.

    Quote Quote  

  8. -48
    Phinatic8u's Avatar
    FinHeaven's Elite

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2008
    Posts:
    9,309
    vCash:
    8874
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Every time I've been to SOFLA I've spent bunches of money and had a ****ing amazing time.

    But I doubt I could live there though, something about it just doesn't appeal to me on a permanent basis.



    Quote Quote  

  9. -49
    illscriptures's Avatar
    Chris McCain Should Start

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2005
    Posts:
    1,447
    vCash:
    3092
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    XB1 Conroller
    I hate it when people who have a problem with minorities disguise it as having a problem with the language. It's Miami! Little Cuba! You learn the language you ignoramous. Public schools in all of the country offer spanish speaking classes to english speakers. Do not be mad because you are too simple minded to understand another language. When I went to South Korea I attempted to learn the language and I only went for 2 weeks and still to this day I know how to say hello "anyong-haseo" and thank you "camsamida."

    If you have a problem with people speaking spanish then educate yourself or move because hispanics have only just begun to boom in south florida and the United States. There are statistics that say hispanics will be the majority in the entire United States by 2050.

    The history of the United States is based on immigration and adaptation. It seems like some of you just don't know.
    Last edited by illscriptures; 01-19-2013 at 11:12 PM.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -50
    CANDolphan's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2006
    Posts:
    2,922
    vCash:
    1381
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Did I really just read you calling people ignorant for not learning Spanish because people who are newcomers to the USA don't bother learning Spanish??

    While using an example of some 2 week vacation you took where you had to learn the language of the culture you, the outsider, came into? Really? You don't see the issue with your logic?

    I understand your point, but holy **** are you misplaced.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Stay Away: Site Ranks America's Dirtiest Hotels
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 10:48 PM
  2. Miami ranks worst
    By Phinatic in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 03:42 PM
  3. Fox ranks Miami worst drafting team of the past 5 years
    By Fin-Fan-13 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 04-26-2008, 07:00 AM
  4. Mayor of Chocolate City calls WTC site a hole in the ground
    By greatwade in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2006, 04:38 PM
  5. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 07:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •