Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Credible Financial Site Ranks Miami 2nd Worst-Run City In US

1. -71
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rudys119 View Post
    After reading all of these posts I am reminded how much I appreciate where I live now... I grew up in Miami and was devastated when my parents made the decision to move to ft myers because they didnt want to raise a family in Miami anymore, I remember it like it was yesterday (we moved a week before Hurricane Andrew) After living in ft myers for about 10 years I moved out to California where I live now and as many fond memories I have of Miami I also thank my parents decision to get our family out of there when they did. Between the violence and living in fear, (like when our pop warner team took a buss to a game in carol city and we broke down at 9pm), lack of skilled jobs, rude people, and lack of skilled jobs I couldnt imagine wear I would be today. Everyone I talk to nowadays out in Cali talk about all the glitz and glam they see regarding Miami and I tell them that for the most part that is South Beach and not Miami as a whole. I wont lie though I seriously miss some good Cuban food and made it a point to stop a few times last year when I was down to get my fill. I actually got in a fight at some so called puerto rican restaurant out here that had a cuban sandwich on the menu and I asked them about their Cuban bread and they said there is no such thing as Cuban bread its just a normal sourdough...
    As a native South Floridian, I echo your sentiments. Miami/Ft Lauderdale is a great place to visit, but you really do not want to live here. I will be leaving south Florida soon, and I am counting down the days.
    IMHO, the influx of immigration did not improve the area over the years. It increased crime, neighborhood blight, and the building boom used every square inch of open land.
    The "we are taking over" mentality is very prevalent here. It really illustrates the reason Miami has declined. I really don't understand that kind of comment because Miami and Cuba before Castro were close neighbors. Hispanics were always a part of South Florida.
    The difference now is that most are too lazy or ignorant to speak English. I speak some spanish and I have dated some fine Cuban, Mexican, Colombian, and Panamanian women in my 20-30's...in the 70's and 80's...and they all spoke perfect English as well as Spanish. I was accepted into their families and sat at their dinner tables.
    As a kid, we could drive to the beach and park on the sand, now you are lucky to get a glimpse of the ocean between condo towers...
    It is not the same. The beauty is for the most part gone, and the arrogant attitude "calling everyone a racist who disagrees" is not isolated to few.
    My .02
    Quote Quote  

2. -72
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    It's not hard to figure this stuff out. It's all over.
    So...when Orlando FL population eclipses the "Miami Metro Area" then everyone will be living in the "Orlando Metro Area"??
    It makes just as much sense.
    IMHO..the "South Florida Metro Area" is a better way to describe the area.
    Quote Quote  

3. -73
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    Google sez cane and dog are right but i never considered Boward county as part of Miami metro area either.
    Quote Quote  

4. -74
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfanmiami View Post
    Google sez cane and dog are right but i never considered Boward county as part of Miami metro area either.
    It's crazy because length wise, Jupiter to Homstead is probably a longer stretch of Metro area than anywhere else in the country. However, the metro area only takes up the eastern parts of the 3 counties because of the Everglades, so it really isn't that big when you compare the overall square mileage of the area to other big metro areas.

But when you are from South Florida, we tend to be very seperated and many people from Broward consider once you cross that "Welcome to Miami-Dade county" line, you are in Miami and once you see that welcome to "Palm Beach county" sign, you are in Palm Beach.
    Quote Quote  

5. -75
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's a uniquely Miami thing. I live in the only state where whites are the minority. Even with that, no one expects you to be bilingual, despite the fact that a large portion of the people speak Spanish as a primary language. You get paid more for the same job if you are bilingual, but very rarely do you get disqualified from a job because of it. Although I find you pick up the language the more you are around it. I wouldn't call myself fluent by any stretch of the imagination, but I know and understand enough Spanish that I can get my meaning across to in the language...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

6. -76
    Who pissed in your kool aide?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertical Limit View Post
    Oh but don't post these facts here, according to some people here fans are required to buy tickets and if they lived here they would buy tickets too. What they don't know is that if they moved here there's a good chance they may not find a job for a good while.
    I don't understand how joking about unemployment is comical to you...? Especially on a Dolphins fan forum? Not in good taste.

"Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see."
    Quote Quote  

7. -77
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    So...when Orlando FL population eclipses the "Miami Metro Area" then everyone will be living in the "Orlando Metro Area"??
    It makes just as much sense.
    IMHO..the "South Florida Metro Area" is a better way to describe the area.
    I don't make the rules.

I just point out the obvious. I agree that "South Florida Metro Area" is a better way to describe the area.

All I know is, the "Miami Metro" area runs from Miami-Dade all the way up to parts of Palm Beach County and that's just how it is. If it didn't include parts of PBC, then it wouldn't be one of the top 10 metro areas in the country. But this is how all "metro areas" are. Parts of Connecticut and Pennsylvania are in the New York metro area. That's how metro areas work.

Quote Quote  

8. -78
    Who pissed in your kool aide?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo
    Do you live in South Florida?
    Quote Quote  

9. -79
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCMiamiEast View Post
    I don't understand how joking about unemployment is comical to you...? Especially on a Dolphins fan forum? Not in good taste.
    I think you missed what he was saying...

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AFCMiamiEast View Post
    Do you live in South Florida?
    Greenville, South Carolina.
    Quote Quote  

10. -80
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    At least your still close to the ocean dude. i miss that the most.
    Quote Quote