Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barry Jackson asks Steve Ross about free agent receivers...

1. -21
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    How is denying the obvious a smokescreen. These players know we dont have receivers, they know we have cap room, we dont have much control to keep their price down unless we just say no.
    And, we could very well do exactly that. Especially if the money gets outrageous for players they might not deem the best fits. The draft is the priority in my opinion. They need to kill that. Free agency is just gravy......
    ~~~~~~~

The rhythm of life is a jazz rhythm.

-Langston Hughes

Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    Buddy Nix for the Bills has been going public since December that the Bills will draft a quarterback. Big mistake, now everyone knows for sure what the plan is and you could see a lot of draft day movement to try and swoop in and steal QB prospects from the Bills.
    Unless Buddy is lying....
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    How is denying the obvious a smokescreen. These players know we dont have receivers, they know we have cap room, we dont have much control to keep their price down unless we just say no.
    Yup. If you and me both know we need receivers, everyone associated with the NFL does as well.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathStar View Post
    Yup. If you and me both know we need receivers, everyone associated with the NFL does as well.
    Knowing we need receivers and knowing how we plan to address that need are two different things....
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    It is what it is

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    I think Ireland has coached Ross up perfectly in the art of smoke screens. Everyone knows the Dolphins need to address the wide receiver position, but the Dolphins are downplaying free agency not to look desperate. There is no doubt that Miami will take a run at the big name free agent receivers this offseason, buy if you say you will now, those players and agents can use that to drive the price up.
    I disagree, no team/player cares what our strategy is come FA because if they want a guy theyll go after him. The agent will let teams know if the dolphins are interested to pit the teams against each other in a bidding war. Yes smokescreens for the draft will come in handy once in a while, but i think they're useless in terms of FA. JI can lowball a guy if he wants, but if there is a market for a player, he's going to get his money. In this case i really don't think they have a smokescreen to play because if they don't get a guy in FA, Everyone knows they're going to need one in the draft. JI could make a speculative play and wait for summer cuts to see what comes loose, but honestly if that's his plan he should be canned right now.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well I predict FA top end fast receiver in free agency and for us to use out top pick on the best pass rush defensive end in the draft. We can't gamble on the draft producing that reciever right away and "if" we resign Hartline with Bess, Mathews and possibly Binns we will have a decent recievers corp. Honestly guys Ireland has batted about fifty percent on the recievers he has drafted from college. I count Bess in those pick and Bess is a very good slot reciever from his first draft in 2008, in 2009 it was Turner and Harline, Hartline has turned out well, last year it was Cunningham and Mathews and Mathews show promise. I did not forget Gates drafted in 2011 who is playing for the Jets and caught quite a few passes this year. You also need to remember that the players we picked for Tony Sporano are not always the players that Philbin wants. I ask myself the question if Tony was still here would Marshall and Vonte Davis still be here and they both probably would be
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    RIP Gary Moore

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Temecula, Ca.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mfish41 View Post
    I disagree, no team/player cares what our strategy is come FA because if they want a guy theyll go after him. The agent will let teams know if the dolphins are interested to pit the teams against each other in a bidding war. Yes smokescreens for the draft will come in handy once in a while, but i think they're useless in terms of FA. JI can lowball a guy if he wants, but if there is a market for a player, he's going to get his money. In this case i really don't think they have a smokescreen to play because if they don't get a guy in FA, Everyone knows they're going to need one in the draft. JI could make a speculative play and wait for summer cuts to see what comes loose, but honestly if that's his plan he should be canned right now.
    We have options in whether it is FA or the draft. I am not sure we are just looking to add just one WR in either FA and or the draft. The more weapons and stability in front of Ryan will make us that much better as a team. Also when a WR signs an extension or with a new team they really need to consider more than the money aka Larry Fitzgerald.

Thanks to Like2God for the great Avatar/Sig!

Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phintim View Post
    "if" we resign Hartline with Bess, Mathews and possibly Binns we will have a decent recievers corp
    My goodness! Warfield and anyone who ever lined up opposite from him were a decent receiving corps. Clayton, Duper and company were a decent receiving corps. These four guys as a group are chicken****. In the whole group there's not a one of them that can get separation from a DB and God help us if we need any of them to go long or actually put the ball in the end zone!

Dolphins fans have been so brainwashed in mistaking mediocrity as greatness that they would argue that Matt Millen was a great G.M.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phintim View Post
    Well I predict FA top end fast receiver in free agency and for us to use out top pick on the best pass rush defensive end in the draft. We can't gamble on the draft producing that reciever right away and "if" we resign Hartline with Bess, Mathews and possibly Binns we will have a decent recievers corp. Honestly guys Ireland has batted about fifty percent on the recievers he has drafted from college. I count Bess in those pick and Bess is a very good slot reciever from his first draft in 2008, in 2009 it was Turner and Harline, Hartline has turned out well, last year it was Cunningham and Mathews and Mathews show promise. I did not forget Gates drafted in 2011 who is playing for the Jets and caught quite a few passes this year. You also need to remember that the players we picked for Tony Sporano are not always the players that Philbin wants. I ask myself the question if Tony was still here would Marshall and Vonte Davis still be here and they both probably would be

Personally u to me u cant count undrafted free agents unless u want to count all the undrafted guys that dont make it as misses. If he thought Bess was all that as a draftpick he would have drafted him over the crap he drafted late in 2008
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    The Ghost

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yay! More Chris Clemons instead of an actual FS.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

The Contortionist: Language I: Intuition
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Bc...cFcJcoyqt1u2zg
    Quote Quote