Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: ((merged x3)) The Official Hindsight is 20/20 thread

1. -71
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    That team had not had a winning record in three years thats pure crap. I mean u could say we still had talent leftover from 2008 but thats overblown
    Falcons
    2004: 11-5 (Lost in NFC Championship
    2005: 8-8
    2006: 7-9
    2007: 4-12 (Vick dogfighting charges + college coach who quit midway)

Dolphins
    2004: 4-12 (Wanny's last season)
    2005: 9-7 (Saban's first season)
    2006: 6-10 (Saban's last season. The Culpepper Mistake)
    2007: 1-15 (Fail Forward Fast)

Look, I am not disputing that the Falcons have drafted much better than the Dolphins since 2008, and yes, the QB pick was the main differentiator, but the teams were most assuredly not starting from similar situations. The Dolphins were going through their 4th regime change in a span of 4 years. With every regime change, players are churned out because they don't fit the same system. The Falcons had fired their coach the year before largely because they underachieved with what the FO perceived was good talent (that and the fact that Mora struck a wrong chord with the owner when he said the Washington gig was his dream job) So, while the Falcons were loaded with talent enough to compete for a Super Bowl just 3 years prior to the Dimitroff rebuild, the Dolphins were 3 years removed from the epic Wannstedtian failure and the botched Saban and Cameron regimes.

The situations weren't comparable. The cupboard was MUCH more bare for the Dolphins than for the Falcons.
    FIRE FAILBIN
    Quote Quote  

2. -72
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    Falcons
    2004: 11-5 (Lost in NFC Championship
    2005: 8-8
    2006: 7-9
    2007: 4-12 (Vick dogfighting charges + college coach who quit midway)

Dolphins
    2004: 4-12 (Wanny's last season)
    2005: 9-7 (Saban's first season)
    2006: 6-10 (Saban's last season. The Culpepper Mistake)
    2007: 1-15 (Fail Forward Fast)

Look, I am not disputing that the Falcons have drafted much better than the Dolphins since 2008, and yes, the QB pick was the main differentiator, but the teams were most assuredly not starting from similar situations. The Dolphins were going through their 4th regime change in a span of 4 years. With every regime change, players are churned out because they don't fit the same system. The Falcons had fired their coach the year before largely because they underachieved with what the FO perceived was good talent (that and the fact that Mora struck a wrong chord with the owner when he said the Washington gig was his dream job) So, while the Falcons were loaded with talent enough to compete for a Super Bowl just 3 years prior to the Dimitroff rebuild, the Dolphins were 3 years removed from the epic Wannstedtian failure and the botched Saban and Cameron regimes.

The situations weren't comparable. The cupboard was MUCH more bare for the Dolphins than for the Falcons.
    The Falcons went out and aquired Gonzo, jones < Turner. They just had a much better gm than ours
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

3. -73
    BELIEVE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Golden State
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    1972 Dolphins LogoSnakes!Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Lol @ good read. Sounds like more complaining about crap that happened in 3...4....5...10 years ago from the usual suspects. Let me ask you something, how many Super Bowls have the Falcons won in that time period? That's right...the same amount as the Miami Dolphins...ZERO. Yeah, spare me the "well at least they've had the opportunity" noise...no one will remember all these stats or records you post 50 years from now if either team fails to win a championship and last I checked, neither team is going to play in the Super Bowl in 13 days.
    I just try to be myself, whatever that is. I don't think about how I'll be remembered. I just want to be consistent over a long period of time. That's what the great players do.
    -Dan Marino
    Quote Quote  

4. -74
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Falcons went out and aquired Gonzo, jones < Turner. They just had a much better gm than ours
    I said they have had better drafts, mostly due to taking the right QB, while we took the wrong one. But if we traded all those picks for Jones, our team wouldn't be in the same situation because we didn't have the same baseline of talent to start with.
    Quote Quote  

5. -75
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CalDolFan10x14 View Post
    Lol @ good read. Sounds like more complaining about crap that happened in 3...4....5...10 years ago from the usual suspects. Let me ask you something, how many Super Bowls have the Falcons won in that time period? That's right...the same amount as the Miami Dolphins...ZERO. Yeah, spare me the "well at least they've had the opportunity" noise...no one will remember all these stats or records you post 50 years from now if either team fails to win a championship and last I checked, neither team is going to play in the Super Bowl in 13 days.
    Well we havent won a championship since the 70's but I would much rather live through the marino era when we had a chance to win and made playoffs then the current Ireland era of 7-9
    Quote Quote  

6. -76
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bahamas
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Two Teams, Same Starting Point, Different Directions: good read

Quote Originally Posted by CalDolFan10x14 View Post
    Anyone who is a Dolphin fan knows what happened but some enjoy coming on here posting this stuff as if they are revealing something new to us and of course like you said the usual suspects are at the ready to add their superior knowledge and GM hindsight to the thread.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Quote  

7. -77
    BELIEVE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Golden State
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    1972 Dolphins LogoSnakes!Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Well we havent won a championship since the 70's but I would much rather live through the marino era when we had a chance to win and made playoffs then the current Ireland era of 7-9
    Go watch Back to the Future to get some tips on how invent a time machine then.
    Quote Quote  

8. -78
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The same way the other 31 teams missed on him....lol
    Quote Quote  

9. -79
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    I said they have had better drafts, mostly due to taking the right QB, while we took the wrong one. But if we traded all those picks for Jones, our team wouldn't be in the same situation because we didn't have the same baseline of talent to start with.
    That team wasnt that talented, We had talent just older talent. Most of the core of Atlanta is not from the team that went to the superbowl years ago. We had Joey Porter, Jason Taylor, Zach thomas, We had ronnie Brown, we had vernon carey who was considered a good player then so much so Ireland gave him a 42 million dollar contract, yermiah bell. We were not totall devoid of talent it was just older talent.

Problem is our 2008 free agent class was poor
    Quote Quote  

10. -80
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks

Quote Quote