Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pat Devlin: Does He Have The Goods?

1. -21
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's not about having the goods as a backup. Backups aren't franchise QB's, so the key to a backup is being able to pick up the slack until the starting quarterback is able to return. Yeah, sometimes players start as backups and have pretty decent careers, but let's be honest, Devlin is likely a career backup. Doesn't mean he can't be a pretty good backup, he just isn't anything spectacular. Like hoops said, Tannehill is the only one I expect to play quarterback in 2013.

If anything, draft a QB in the later rounds and let the young bucks compete for the backup spot. Devlin should know the offense and personnel well enough to secure a backup spot, though.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Delaware Blue Hens have cranked out three pretty decent QB's....Rich Gannon, Joe Flacco and Pat Devlin....they've probably had more success than the QB's who have gone to USC. Hopefully Devlin can devlop into a nice QB.....I think he can move into the #2 spot if Matt Moore leaves.....we also might look at drafting a sleeper QB in day two of the draft....I think EJ Manuel of Florida State would be a nice prospect.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill, Devlin, Draft Pick (day 3) - QBs next for Miami.

Wow we don't have to worry about QB for a change. Fix the OL and get WRs and a TE for the offense. Get a DE, Speed LBs, and secondary help.

With this coaching staff we could be dangerous next.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    In today's nfl if your starting QB goes down you write off the season. doesn't matter who your backup is, you don't expect to make the playoffs much less win a super bowl.

Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    In today's nfl if your starting QB goes down you write off the season. doesn't matter who your backup is, you don't expect to make the playoffs much less win a super bowl.
    Well Im sure if SF or Sea lost their starter they would have still been a contender. What u say for most part is true but u cannot go into a season with backups like indy had last year
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by phinfan1983 View Post
    Tannehill, Devlin, Draft Pick (day 3) - QBs next for Miami.
    I agree with this, IF Matt Moore does indeed walk to another team. Ideal scenario would be to have Moore re-sign and Devlin be the #3 again in 2013.

I like Devlin and saw a big jump from 2011 to 2012. The coaching staff is very high on him and I love the idea that Miami is able to groom a young quarterback behind Tannehill. I don't like the idea of Devlin being a starter for a lengthy time, but if he had to come in for a game or two, fine. I do think Miami has to draft a quarterback on day three of the draft though to provide more depth and to push Devlin.

Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    I agree with this, IF Matt Moore does indeed walk to another team. Ideal scenario would be to have Moore re-sign and Devlin be the #3 again in 2013.

I like Devlin and saw a big jump from 2011 to 2012. The coaching staff is very high on him and I love the idea that Miami is able to groom a young quarterback behind Tannehill. I don't like the idea of Devlin being a starter for a lengthy time, but if he had to come in for a game or two, fine. I do think Miami has to draft a quarterback on day three of the draft though to provide more depth and to push Devlin.

Then we'll be in he same old crap as last year.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    To be fair, none of us really know because he is untested and green as grass. But, from what I saw in preseason, I saw a kid who had a good command out there. Made quick decisions and got the ball out quick. Not a cannon. I also saw a pace and crispness that I liked. He has a good frame at 6'4. I think he can be our Matt Flynn. I'm optimistic.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Still would rather have an experienced backup we already have a qb that is devloping and not sure i want a developmental guy backing him up
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by BG12DM13CP10 View Post
    Then we'll be in he same old crap as last year.
    I think an argument can be made that Matt Moore is the best #2 quarterback in the NFL. It will be hard to keep him on the team because he still wants to chase being a #1.

I like Devlin, I am encouraged by his growth since he has been here but I still think Moore would be the absolute ideal #2. If not, I am good going with Devlin as the backup and drafting the #3 late in the draft.
    Quote Quote