Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Yeatman to be our new RT?

1. -21
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Yeatman to be our new RT?

Quote Originally Posted by benvolin View Post
    Interesting that this guy at rantsports.com stole my information and re-wrote it as his own inside info. In some circles we call that "plagiarism."
    Is that really you? If so, I'm a big fan of your work. You put the rest of the beat writers down here to shame with your in depth analysis. Plenty others on here agree. I didn't see your article on Yeatman until just now:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...d-be-a-/nT2Z5/
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm all for the experiement. Rumor was that when we snagged him off of the Patriots Practice Squad that Bellichik was planning on doing this too ... so he must have the raw physical attributes to do it. Remember, this guy was an elite lacrosse player in college.

At the beginning of the 2012 season he was "listed" at 268 lbs. No idea if that was accurate then, or if the reports of him being over 300 lbs. are accurate now. But, if they are at all close, then he has added a lot of bulk in a short amount of time and most likely has or will gain a tremendous amount of strength compared to last year.

It sounds like a smoke screen to get Jake Long to believe that we already have a replacement (Martin to LT and Yeatman to RT), but I can't believe Long or his agent would take it seriously, so maybe it's not a smoke screen. I know there is a lot of misdirection before the draft, but I don't think other teams would believe this stops us from selecting a OT in the draft either.

Hey, worst case scenario, we have a guy at the bottom of our roster for a few years who had size and athletic ability that we tried to groom from ultra-raw into a player, we denied Bellichik doing the same, and it didn't work out. Our bottom of the roster guy had no effect on the team and cost next to nothing ... at some point we cut bait and move on, but it's a no risk proposition. If it works out, kudos.

Looking around the league, there really are not many good RT's. Primarily, the reason is because the best pass rush defenders are put on the QB's blind side (LT) and face up against the best pass rushers. The RT's tend to be a step down in pass protection ability from the LT's. But today, so many defenses shift their best pass rushers around, that they pop up everywhere. Against interior linemen, it's a lot easier to help out and pass off a pass rusher from one OL to another, so speed is somewhat neutralized. But at OT, you're much more on your own. The DE/OLB has plenty of space to beat you in any direction with any move.

Guys like Sebastian Vollmer would be LT's on most teams, but hardly any other RT's really have the skill or ability to play the spot. Martin has the feet, but not the sand in the pants so to speak. Yeatman is more fundamentally strong, so if he adds significant strength with the added weight, he should have the physical ability to make this work. Fingers crossed it does. If so, either we let Long walk and move Martin over to LT (scary thought IMHO), or re-sign walker and trade Martin for another 2nd round draft pick as LT guys are highly needed and very rare in this draft.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    I think it would take another year for him to maybe contend to start between the strength and more so footwork. If he can be a solid back up, play short yardage and goal line, that would be a plus for the team.

I would also keep an eye on Samuda at OG. He is also somewhat of a project but, a year ahead.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?con...ate=with-video

Quote Originally Posted by finomenal View Post
    That's the misconception. The 225 bench for these guys doesn't measure functional strength. A true measure of strength is how many pounds can he lift for 3-5 reps, or better yet, a one rep max.

If you can put 225 up 16 times, that's more about endurance.
    Jesus not this debate again! The friggen NFL defines the 225 bench as "The bench press, quite simply, is a test of strength in which players bench press 225 pounds as many times as possible." Yet people on here actually debate this?
    Last edited by flynryan15; 01-21-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Anytime someone mentions Hudson Houck you pay attention. That guy has been great at every stop. If he says Yeatman is good, he's good.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Yeatman to be our new RT?

Quote Originally Posted by flynryan15 View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?con...ate=with-video

Jesus not this debate again! The friggen NFL defines the 225 bench as "The bench press, quite simply, is a test of strength in which players bench press 225 pounds as many times as possible." Yet people on here actually debate this?
    That's okay. You can take the NFL's word for it, and I'll side with science. This isn't opinion. It's a fundamental, physiological fact and it's been well known for decades. You don't need to take my word for it, either. The information is out there for anyone to read.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Connecticut
    Thanks / No Thanks
    one has to wonder what the possibilities would be as a, "eligible tackle", if his potential is realized.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finomenal View Post
    That's the misconception. The 225 bench for these guys doesn't measure functional strength. A true measure of strength is how many pounds can he lift for 3-5 reps, or better yet, a one rep max.

If you can put 225 up 16 times, that's more about endurance.
    This isn't a misconception at all, it does have a little to do with endurace, overall arm length and build but strength is strength and overall the more of any weight you can do the better.

Last week I benched 225 to failure just to see how I measured up, this slightly fat, not in the best shape of his life, nearly 40 year old put up 225 24 times. I should not have more endurance or strength than a starting NFL lineman in the prime of his life.
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As for these "strength" metrics, I think it is a little incomplete to only test one method of upper body strength, neglect all lower body strength metrics and think we have a clear picture.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that Yeatman, a former collegiate lacrosse player, was considered a project and at a much lower weight. So, while the combine does provide a data point, it is at best an outdated metric. We can't compare today's metric because the Dolphins correctly keep that info under wraps. At the combine Yeatman was beyond extremely raw, and people didn't know whether he would ever play. The thought at the time was that they would try to bulk him up to play TE and if that worked maybe bulk him up some more to play OT.

That's what Bellichik wanted to do and why he placed him on the practice squad. That's what Parcells and Ireland wanted to do and why they plucked him off the Patriots practice squad and why and how he has been developed since. Now that we add Philbin as our HC and he has experience and success converting OL, it seems like a great fit for Yeatman. The theory sounds great ... now lets see how he is developing in reality.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudder1310 View Post
    Anytime someone mentions Hudson Houck you pay attention. That guy has been great at every stop. If he says Yeatman is good, he's good.

Houck was here for the 2 Saban years... Isn't he coaching for another team right now? Why would a o-line coach from another team be coaching up our guys?
    http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/rex-ryan-foot.jpg

currently the 19th ranked competitive eater in the world
    http://www.ifoce.com/rankings.php
    Quote Quote