Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Sports Business Journal..Ross' company bidding on LA stadium?

1. -51
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the move has absolutely nothing to do with relocation. AEG is a product that would be too good to pass up for him to own. It's a company that has helped save several sports franchises around the world.
    Quote Quote  

2. -52
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I dont see why this has anything to do with moving the Dolphins to LA. Sounds like a legitimate business move to me.

The major assets owned by AEG are the Staples Center in LA, the Cal State stadium, and the Millennium Dome in London. AEG also owns stakes in Major League Soccer teams (DC, Chicago, NYC, and San Jose), and the hockey team the LA Kings. It sounds like a good buy to me.

AEG was in talks to develop a new stadium in Los Angeles, not take ownership of a team - and Ross is in the commerical real estate development business. Owning a stadium and owning a team are not the same things. Even if Ross wanted to move the team, whats he going to do with an empty stadium in south FL? That would be a huge money pit. Nobody is buying that stadium without a pro sports team's with a long term stadium lease.

You all are paranoid.
    Quote Quote  

3. -53
    You could have had free beer, for shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    For perspective, MSG (Madison Square Garden Group, chaired by Knicks/Cablevision owner Jim Dolan) is also bidding for AEG.
    So does that mean the Knicks are moving to LA?
    Once Dmac is drafted a Dmac Jersey will spontaneously materialize in the closet of each and every Dolfan...

...and not that replica crap either...
    Quote Quote  

4. -54
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinatic8u View Post

He will own the stadium that the LA team will play in.
    He can build it, since he is a commerical property builder, but I'm not sure he can own it. I dont think owners can own other NFL teams' stadiums.
    Quote Quote  

5. -55
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I will indeed call it fear. I will also call it . Minnesota was much closer to losing the Vikings, yet... it didn't happen. Same with New Orleans. Same with the Jags, who every year are moving to London or Los Angeles except they never do. The Bills started playing half their home games in another country... then resigned with Buffalo.

NFL teams moving locations is a RARE occurrence, and Goodell's obvious zeitgiest is for more teams, not for teams moving. If the Dolphins left Miami you'd just have to put another team in Miami. It's stupid.

Even IF this is an intentional message -- which I doubt -- it's bush league intimidation at best. Ross had the opportunity to get in before the Marlins and get a new stadium in a prime location. The city commissioners were obviously ripe to be won over. But instead he decided to count his nickels and stay in the old stadium until Goodell finally pointed out that it's a dinosaur. I wish I could have been there when the realization finally hit Ross and crew. How painful that must have been, like having a guest come over and politely point out that your house smells like cat piss.

Not getting a new stadium is Ross' fault, and now he and the team have to pay for it. If he wants to make some half assed macho statement about taking the Dolphins out of Miami, let him. I'll be content to laugh.
    Bravo. Your posts are really great. Save me some time. You hit all the valid points.

My browser doesn't work well on Finheaven, for some reason. I can't see anything until I switch to "printable view." That means I'm spared sigs and avatars and other nonsense but it also means it's not as convenient, and often my stays are short here, and I don't visit as many forums or revisit threads. My number of thanks is certainly lower than it should be, although I've tried to improve that lately.

I wouldn't mind setting up my account to automatically thank TheWalrus for every post, regardless of content. I'd take my chances.
    Quote Quote  

6. -56
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd like to share what all AEG owns. This isn't everything, but it helps paint a picture

f he gets AEG at a bargain, which looks likely as The Anschutz Corporation is desperate to sell, Ross will have a share in quite a few profitable companies in the sports world...

Part Owner of the Lakers and Sparks
    LA Galaxy
    Home Depot Center
    Half owner of the Stanley Cup Champion Kings
    Part Owner of the Houston Dynamo
    3 of the post popular junior hockey teams in Canada
    Hammarby IF; one of the most popular soccer teams in Sweeden
    A Couple popular hockey teams in Europe
    Part owner of Golden Boy Promotions

He'd also gain charge of 12 different music festivals (including RockNESS, The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festive, and Rockfest) and 2 Film companies, one of which is Walden Media.

Ross would be nuts NOT to look into the purchase. That would significantly add to his net worth, and let us not forget last year Ross looked into buying Everton of the EPL, and AEG themselves tried to by Rangers, one of the most popular clubs in the world.

And that's not even all. Check out their website and see what all Ross would gain

http://aegworldwide.com/

Ross probably sees dollar signs above all else. I doubt the LA Dolphins even slipped into his mind
    Quote Quote  

7. -57
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by ChambersWI View Post
    Part Owner of the Lakers and Sparks
    AEG does not own the Lakers. Philip Anschutz personally owns part of the Lakers, but his company AEG does not. AEG only owns the stadium, not the team.
    Quote Quote  

8. -58
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Ford LogoTannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by xXwarXx View Post
    I think Ross wants the team to succeed here, but it seems no matter what miami fans won't show up for this team. He spent a billion $ on this team, eventually you have to ask, whats it gonna take?
    They need to finish over .500 more than once in four years to excite fans. Start with that.

Quote Quote  

9. -59
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No its the fans fault we should pay for half of a stadium for a billionaire that proposes to do nothing for the community in return
    When Death Smiles Upon You the Infantryman smiles back
    Quote Quote  

10. -60
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    this whole thing sucks.

the marlin money should have gone to the Dolphins. tell the marlins to go F themselves and move if they wanted. this isn't a baseball town anyway.
    Quote Quote