Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: Your position on gun control in America?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Immediate ban on all guns.

0 0%
  • Guns only for military/police.

2 3.51%
  • Bolt/pump/lever action ok, no semi-autos.

8 14.04%
  • Gun laws are fine as they currently stand.

14 24.56%
  • Select-fire weapons should be allowed.

6 10.53%
  • You can have them when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.

16 28.07%
  • I want a tank.

11 19.30%
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Go on record: YOUR gun control position.

1. -141
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    They most certainly can be. More to the point, crazy ppl that go and kill ppl in mass won't use bats or knives, they will use something more substantial if somehow a unicorn had its wish and there were no guns. Something like a small bomb. Another issue is you are asking me to to take a knife to a gun fight. Nope not gonna do it. The world you are describing does not exist, never has and never will.
    More to the point: I think he'd rather limit us to taking a feather to a rock fight.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

The Chase for Lord Stanley Begins ...

LETS GO PENS!
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1 12 13 14 15 16
    Quote Quote  

2. -142
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    I am of the mindset of is that automatic weapons such as the one the Newtown killer had SHOULDN'T be needed by average citizens for anything.
    The Newtown killer didn't have an automatic weapon, the weapon of choice was semi-auto a technology used in shotguns, handguns and small and large caliber rifles. There is a stark difference between the two things.

Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    Ahahaha right. Great rebuttal. I vote in a country where gun control exists and there are 1/10th of gun deaths per capita than in the USA and 1/5th of the murders per capita. Have a think about that. If I moved to America I would be 5 times more likely to be killed and 10 times more likely to be killed with a gun.

Yep because knives and baseball bats are as lethal as a pistol or a rifle. You're making my point. YES people will always want to kill eachother. That's absolutely a given fact. So why on earth are you guys happy living in a country where people have easy access to weapons that make it incredibly easy to do so? If you can get a gun for self defence, it means someone who might want to kill you can get a gun as well. Wouldn't everyone be safer if neither of you could get a gun?

I'm not saying taking everyone's gun away is at all realistic at this point. I'm saying if we could, the US would be a far safer place.

Lol you act like the US is Syria. I leave my house every morning and have zero fear of dying from a gun, zero and frankly if some whacked out killer decides to come at me, you are right there is little I could do, because my guns are normally locked up at home. But if the guy kills me (have had guns pulled on me in the past, it didn't work out so well for the guy with the gun FYI), I want a sentence on my grave that says "shot dead by the second amendment a right that every American still should have, long live the liberates our forefathers died for!".

You throw stats around when making your argument but when anyone rebuttals with any stat you claim the NRA would be proud. Laughable at best to me that you think social and economic issues can be dealt with by "disarming" the lawful populous yet our Governments "arm" whatever populous they feel help further their cause, such as in a nation like Syria. Funny how that double standard plays out around the world, "oh we're worried for the safety of our children but don't worry we'll just drone bomb the **** out of yours"! wink wink.

The simple truth of most gun vilonce in America is due to organized crime, over half the deaths associated with firearms are the bad guys anyway, **** it let them kill themselves is my motto.
    Last edited by NY8123; 01-31-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    Hold My Beer and Watch This!
    Quote Quote  

3. -143
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Go on record: YOUR gun control position.

Stop listening to the news and start doing your own research. The "automatic" weapons you guys keep talking about are being brought to America illegally from other countries. Banning scary looking semi-automatic weapons will make absolutely no impact on gun violence in America. How could anyone possibly support a gun ban that only focuses on disarming law abiding citizens. Spend all the money and effort in securing our borders and getting actual illegal automatic weapons out of the hands of the gangsters that make up the majority of the gun violence. The old assault weapon ban expired and gun related deaths have gone down since then. The people supporting this garbage really need to wake up and start demanding that the government go after the real issues. The semi-automatic weapons I have, or any other law abiding citizens have, should be the least of there worries.

Quote Quote  

4. -144
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguy1381 View Post
    Stop listening to the news and start doing your own research. The "automatic" weapons you guys keep talking about are being brought to America illegally from other countries. Banning scary looking semi-automatic weapons will make absolutely no impact on gun violence in America. How could anyone possibly support a gun ban that only focuses on disarming law abiding citizens. Spend all the money and effort in securing our borders and getting actual illegal automatic weapons out of the hands of the gangsters that make up the majority of the gun violence. The old assault weapon ban expired and gun related deaths have gone down since then. The people supporting this garbage really need to wake up and start demanding that the government go after the real issues. The semi-automatic weapons I have, or any other law abiding citizens have, should be the least of there worries.
    IOWA SEN. CHARLES GRASSLEY, the top Republican on the committee: "The 1994 assault weapon ban did not stop Columbine. The Justice Department found the ban ineffective."

THE FACTS: The 2004 study conducted for the Justice Department did not conclude the decade-old ban was a failure or a success. The nuanced report found that the effects of the ban "have yet to be fully realized" and it might take years to see results directly attributable to the prohibition on certain weapons and large capacity magazines. The ban expired later in 2004.

The study's author, Christopher S. Koper, then of the University of Pennsylvania, considered the restrictions modest and speculated that they would have similarly measured results perhaps as much as a 5 percent decline in gunshot victimization over time if the ban were kept in effect.

His main finding: There were not enough statistics and time to understand the impact of the ban and "it may take many years for the effects of modest, incremental policy changes to be fully felt, a reality that both researchers and policy makers should heed."

The study made no recommendation whether the ban should be renewed. But it said that if the ban expired, it was "possible, and perhaps probable" that new assault weapons and large capacity magazines coming into the market "will eventually be used to commit mass murder."
    http://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-gun-control-claims-miss-target-193053155--politics.html

And for the record, despite the fact that we do not know all the effects of the ban, gun related deaths have NOT dropped since the ban expired. Theyve increased or stayed the same, depending on the criteria you use to compile the stats.

http://election.princeton.edu/2012/1...eapons-matter/

http://boston.com/community/blogs/cr...shootings.html

By the way, where did you find a study that shows most gun related crimes are done by weapons illegally smuggled to the US? The majority of the weapons used in shootings sprees were legally owned weapons...although i suppose the phrase "illegally owned" could be attributed to shooters like Sandy Hook, who had easy access to the weapons used but didnt actually own them.

Mother Jones has tracked and mapped every shooting spree in the last three decades. Since 1982, there have been at least 61 mass murders carried out with firearms across the country, with the killings unfolding in 30 states from Massachusetts to Hawaii, they found. And in most cases, the killers had obtained their weapons legally:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...united-states/
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    its all right, Im a rice dick apparently.
    Quote Quote  

5. -145
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    If you want mature, give mature, ok?

You are basically telling me, because I have good hygiene I shouldn't have a gun, Because I don't carry a gun into the shower my entire belief system concerning guns and home security is flawed. OK!

The real issue to me is if you give an inch on this issue the left will take it all away. I agree with a lot of what some have to say on the left about guns, but I don't trust they will stop at that. And yes I understand ppl on the right are the same on other issues.
    Point out where I said you or anyone else shouldn't have a gun and then we can proceed.

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    Yes, it was similar to the first pic (Bushmaster AR-15, I believe) in addition to a couple of handguns.

And, hey - if you ever find yourself in the upper Ohio Valley, give me a call. I'll take you out to the range. I love providing an opportunity to shoot for people who've never experienced it. We'll go over the safety rules then fling some lead at paper. It's fun. Afterwards, we'll down a few beers. Open invitation.
    Thanks pal. Maybe we can celebrate a Spurs title too?

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

The how can you possibly have an educated POV on this subject?
    Why does not having knowledge about guns mean anything in this discussion? I don't need to know anything about them to know I don't need one in my house. If you do, great.
    Quote Quote  

6. -146
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Go on record: YOUR gun control position.

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-gun-control-claims-miss-target-193053155--politics.html

And for the record, despite the fact that we do not know all the effects of the ban, gun related deaths have NOT dropped since the ban expired. Theyve increased or stayed the same, depending on the criteria you use to compile the stats.

http://election.princeton.edu/2012/1...eapons-matter/

http://boston.com/community/blogs/cr...shootings.html

By the way, where did you find a study that shows most gun related crimes are done by weapons illegally smuggled to the US? The majority of the weapons used in shootings sprees were legally owned weapons...although i suppose the phrase "illegally owned" could be attributed to shooters like Sandy Hook, who had easy access to the weapons used but didnt actually own them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...united-states/
    I wasn't saying that these shooting sprees were done with illegally smuggled weapons. People keep referring to "automatic" weapons as if they were the guns used in these crimes. When was the last time, if ever, an automatic weapon was used in a killing spree in america? I was sayin that the majority of gun violence and murders in America are gang related. The smuggling of weapons and drugs across our borders and the gang related violence in this country are the reason gun violence is so high. It's extremely naive to think that passing another gun control bill will change that.
    Quote Quote  

7. -147
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguy1381 View Post
    I wasn't saying that these shooting sprees were done with illegally smuggled weapons. People keep referring to "automatic" weapons as if they were the guns used in these crimes. When was the last time, if ever, an automatic weapon was used in a killing spree in america? I was sayin that the majority of gun violence and murders in America are gang related. The smuggling of weapons and drugs across our borders and the gang related violence in this country are the reason gun violence is so high. It's extremely naive to think that passing another gun control bill will change that.
    Can you show me where you got that statistic?

edit: I went ahead and looked up some of what you stated, while this doesnt precisely address what you claim its close enough for our discussion. If you have other information, id be interested in seeing it:

Of the homicides for which the FBI received weapons data, most (67.5 percent) involved the use of firearms. Handguns comprised 68.5 percent of the firearms used in murders and nonnegligent manslaughters in 2010. (Based on Expanded Homicide Data Table 8.)

In 2010, in incidents of murder for which the relationships of murder victims and offenders were known, 53.0 percent were killed by someone they knew (acquaintance, neighbor, friend, boyfriend, etc.); 24.8 percent of victims were slain by family members. The relationship of murder victims and offenders was unknown in 44.0 percent of murder and non-negligent manslaughter incidents in 2010. (Based on Expanded Homicide Data Table 10.)

Of the female murder victims for whom the relationships to their offenders were known, 37.5 percent were murdered by their husbands or boyfriends. (Based on Expanded Homicide Data Table 2 and 10.)

Of the murders for which the circumstance surrounding the murder was known, 41.8 percent of victims were murdered during arguments (including romantic triangles) in 2010. Felony circumstances (rape, robbery, burglary, etc.) accounted for 23.1 percent of murders. Circumstances were unknown for 35.8 percent of reported homicides. (Based on Expanded Homicide Data Table 12.)
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...ndhomicidemain
    Last edited by Spesh; 01-31-2013 at 06:04 PM.
    Quote Quote  

8. -148
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Transcript of a letter signed by 1,100 green berets entitled "Protecting the Second Amendment Why all Americans Should Be Concerned"

It's a good read:

http://marchant.house.gov/blog/?postid=318435
    Quote Quote  

9. -149
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    I don't have a problem with the laws we currently have on the books.

Further restrictions are, IMO, ridiculous knee jerk reactions to correcting the wrong problem in our society today.
    +1, the only thing I would add is that I want a tank...
    Quote Quote  

10. -150
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Go on record: YOUR gun control position.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Doherty View Post
    +1, the only thing I would add is that I want a tank...
    You can have one as long as its main weapons are disabled. Traffic jam, what traffic jam?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote