Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: Your position on gun control in America?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Immediate ban on all guns.

    0 0%
  • Guns only for military/police.

    2 3.33%
  • Bolt/pump/lever action ok, no semi-autos.

    9 15.00%
  • Gun laws are fine as they currently stand.

    15 25.00%
  • Select-fire weapons should be allowed.

    6 10.00%
  • You can have them when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.

    16 26.67%
  • I want a tank.

    12 20.00%
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 254

Thread: Go on record: YOUR gun control position.

  1. -101
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,076
    vCash:
    5748
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus
    Why enact stricter regulations for background checks? I mean, aren't the people who are denied on the basis of that check just going to get them on the black market? Why do any of this stuff, honestly... if the fact that there won't be an underground is a "fantasy"?
    Secondary markets are a good indication I believe of how thriving a black-market might be. In other words, you’re not going to stop these type of gun sales no matter what you do; ban or otherwise. However, I’d like to see as much regulation as possible. There are some states trying to implement solutions to secondary-market problems, & I think that’s a better move than complete deregulation. If more states had some of these laws (& I wish they did), it wouldn't be the problem it currently is.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus
    Now, as for Australia... it's not a perfect example but it's the best one we have. Can you think of another country where gun ownership was fairly prevalent before strict gun control laws (enacted in two big pushes eight years apart, allowing for hard demarcation lines to study the effects) were put in place? The legislation is old enough to have plenty of time to study it's "results" in a fairly comprehensive manner, but not so old the results can be dismissed as from another era.

    Seriously, what's a better example? Because it's a cheap conceit to say you need an example of this type of thing working and then say there's no example.
    If you say so. I’m simply pointing out there’s far greater demand for guns here than there is in Australia.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus
    So the relative effectiveness of Australia's gun control laws isn't relevant to a discussion of America's gun control laws yet teenagers buying alcohol is? Ok.
    You missed the point. I had an easier time buying a number of illegal drugs than I did buying alcohol because those illegal drugs weren't regulated. There’s no black-market for alcohol because it’s legal; there’s no financial incentive in doing so. In the same way, Lanza did have a harder time buying guns legally than he did otherwise. If you create an artificial inflation because of a ban, there’s now a financial incentive for a black-market. It could end up being easier for the mentally insane & criminally convicted to buy guns (especially if there we’re more states with secondary-market laws), than it currently is; & these are the people I want prevented from buying guns, not Bumpus or 9954.

    Personally, I believe all the states having secondary-market laws is a much better measure to keep guns out of the mentally imbalanced & criminally convicted’s hands than any ban would. I suppose though we’ll have to agree to disagree.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -102
    ohall's Avatar
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2002
    Posts:
    26,834
    vCash:
    6091
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I am, for not believing I'm Charles Bronson and that life is Death Wish.
    Must be nice to live in a world where theres no threat of violence to you and the ones you love. And on top of that, if there is to think a phone call will save you.

    Incredible stuff.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -103
    Bumpus's Avatar
    Are you gonna drink that?

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2003
    Posts:
    19,886
    vCash:
    15195
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    Must be nice to live in a world where theres no threat of violence to you and the ones you love. And on top of that, if there is to think a phone call will save you.

    Incredible stuff.
    Yep, because as we all know - When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1





    "The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

    Is it training camp yet?




    Just because you don't agree with someone,
    does not give you the right to attack them.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -104
    SpurzN703's Avatar
    I like your style Dude

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2004
    Posts:
    26,404
    vCash:
    17824
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Ford LogoTannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    We all need to pay attention ... it's starting now. This is the new gun control bill led by California Senator Dianne Feinstein:

    http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/.../?spt=hs&or=tn

    This is nothing more than an attempted "1st step"

    The Senator has been very forthcoming on her designs:



    Read more: http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/01/se...#ixzz2IvFestit
    So 1 person is the entire government? I'd see it being ****ed if 1 person had the ultimate power and made every decision in the country on their own but **** like that won't ever happen.



    Quote Quote  

  5. -105
    SpurzN703's Avatar
    I like your style Dude

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2004
    Posts:
    26,404
    vCash:
    17824
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Ford LogoTannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    Must be nice to live in a world where theres no threat of violence to you and the ones you love. And on top of that, if there is to think a phone call will save you.

    Incredible stuff.
    What happens when someone breaks into your house while you're in the shower? Is your shower head a pistol? What if you're asleep and don't hear someone coming in? What if you're in your house in the opposite of where your gun is and a thief breaks into the room you're currently in?

    I'm not against having weapons but let's not act like they're saviors to any ******* that tries to get you.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -106
    Bumpus's Avatar
    Are you gonna drink that?

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2003
    Posts:
    19,886
    vCash:
    15195
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    So 1 person is the entire government? I'd see it being ****ed if 1 person had the ultimate power and made every decision in the country on their own but **** like that won't ever happen.
    Absolutely not. However, she's the one who keeps introducing these gun control bills that get voted on. So, she most certainly has a HUGE influence on policy.

    Make no mistake, Senator Feinstein wants our guns. She thinks we're irresponsible children that need to be protected from ourselves.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -107
    Bumpus's Avatar
    Are you gonna drink that?

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2003
    Posts:
    19,886
    vCash:
    15195
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    What happens when someone breaks into your house while you're in the shower? Is your shower head a pistol? What if you're asleep and don't hear someone coming in? What if you're in your house in the opposite of where your gun is and a thief breaks into the room you're currently in?

    I'm not against having weapons but let's not act like they're saviors to any ******* that tries to get you.
    Ahh ... Now these are very valid points.

    My answer to those questions is: I have a vocal dog. Good 'ol Csonka alerts me every time someone so much as walks down my sidewalk. Whenever I've got guests coming over, Zonk let's me know they're here at least 30 seconds before they get to the door.

    I also have loaded weapons safely concealed in more than one location in my home.



    But, those concerns you brought up are definately valid & they're something I've spent time thinking about.

    Not only is gun ownership a right, it's one helluva responsibility and it's not something that should ever be taken lightly.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -108
    tylerdolphin's Avatar
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    12,222
    vCash:
    3490
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    Ahh ... Now these are very valid points.

    My answer to those questions is: I have a vocal dog. Good 'ol Csonka alerts me every time someone so much as walks down my sidewalk. Whenever I've got guests coming over, Zonk let's me know they're here at least 30 seconds before they get to the door.

    I also have loaded weapons safely concealed in more than one location in my home.



    But, those concerns you brought up are definately valid & they're something I've spent time thinking about.

    Not only is gun ownership a right, it's one helluva responsibility and it's not something that should ever be taken lightly.
    Youre single so its OK to have concealed, loaded weapons around the house. No woman to flip out and shoot you. No kids to accidentally or intentionally do something stupid. IMO having loaded guns in the home is a different ball game when theres a family involved. I think at that point it just becomes a bit counterproductive to have loaded guns laying around. Especially with young kids involved, there really shouldnt be a way for them to access a loaded gun.




    Quote Quote  

  9. -109
    Bumpus's Avatar
    Are you gonna drink that?

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2003
    Posts:
    19,886
    vCash:
    15195
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Youre single so its OK to have concealed, loaded weapons around the house. No woman to flip out and shoot you. No kids to accidentally or intentionally do something stupid. IMO having loaded guns in the home is a different ball game when theres a family involved. I think at that point it just becomes a bit counterproductive to have loaded guns laying around. Especially with young kids involved, there really shouldnt be a way for them to access a loaded gun.
    Agreed.

    However, that doesn't mean there aren't ways around that. Specifically, there are relatively inexpensive small, mainly flat safes that only require a three or four digit combination in order to quickly access your gun in an emergency. These can easily e placed even in high traffic areas of your home.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -110
    El Scorcho's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2012
    Posts:
    47
    vCash:
    1102
    Loc:
    Adelaide, Australia
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Re: Go on record: YOUR gun control position.

    Apart from the armed forces, police officers and maybe farmers who need a quick and humane way of killing injured livestock, no ordinary citizen needs a gun for any reason.

    There is no good reason to have one.

    If nobody had guns but the people that actually require them to do their day to day work, thousands and thousands less people would die every year.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 10:47 AM
  2. Government out of control with control!
    By FINintheMOON in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 10:01 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 11:43 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 12:11 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 02:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •