Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Harry Reid to Reform Silent Filibusters

1. -1
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks

Harry Reid to Reform Silent Filibusters

The Senate will reform the filibuster within the next day and a half -- whether Republicans go along or not, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said Tuesday afternoon. "I hope that within the next 24 to 36 hours we can get something we agree on. If not, we're going to move forward on what I think needs to be done," Reid told reporters. "The caucus will support me on that," he added.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2526392.html

Because there is bound to be mountains of misinformation out there, here is what Reid is proposing. First, he is NOT trying to do away with the filibuster. What he wants to do is require any filibuster to be done in person, with the requirement that everyone choosing to filibuster legislation be present. This requires everyone who is filibustering a bill to go on legal record that they are doing so, and explain why. The hope is the added accountability will discourage congress members to filibuster something just because the opposing party proposed it. Personally, I'm surprised this hasn't been the requirement up until now. Seems completely reasonable to me...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    From the thread title, I pictured a "senile grandpa looking guy" standing at the podium with his mouth slightly askew just standing there killing time.

Edit: I read "Reform" as "Perform" @ self.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

The Chase for Lord Stanley Begins ...

LETS GO PENS!
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Reid is such a limp dick dweeb. Why delay acting on this? Just do it and start the session. The Republicans are going to bash it whether you reach a compromise with McConnell or not and why even seek a compromise when you have the votes? Isn't that what having the votes to do it buys you? The ability to not have to compromise any more?

Hate that ****ing guy. He's a choad's choad.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Reid is such a limp dick dweeb. Why delay acting on this? Just do it and start the session. The Republicans are going to bash it whether you reach a compromise with McConnell or not and why even seek a compromise when you have the votes? Isn't that what having the votes to do it buys you? The ability to not have to compromise any more?

Hate that ****ing guy. He's a choad's choad.
    Democrats tend to be *******. It's the single most annoying thing about them. Say what you want about Republicans, but if the roles were reversed, this would have already have been passed, and they'd already be laughing about how they just got their way. And rightfully so. This pussification gave us a half-assed healthcare bill already. Enough is enough already. Man up and do what you need to do...
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    harry reid is an evil human being. reid, cantor, pelosi are some of the most vial people on the planet. they just so happen to be leaders of our country.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2526392.html

Because there is bound to be mountains of misinformation out there, here is what Reid is proposing. First, he is NOT trying to do away with the filibuster. What he wants to do is require any filibuster to be done in person, with the requirement that everyone choosing to filibuster legislation be present. This requires everyone who is filibustering a bill to go on legal record that they are doing so, and explain why. The hope is the added accountability will discourage congress members to filibuster something just because the opposing party proposed it. Personally, I'm surprised this hasn't been the requirement up until now. Seems completely reasonable to me...
    For a politician with a history of not being afraid to back down, as majority leader Reid has been as one poster said above a ***** regarding filibusters. If Reid gets an email with a threat to possibly filibuster a bill, the so called 'silent filibuster' that frightens Reid into invoking cloture on nearly every bill, make Senators carry out the threat and actually take the floor and filibuster legislation. Maybe its just the new fangled technology and instant communication got him all confused and scared. Seems completely ass backwards to me, we want everyone on legal record as to why anyone is scaring us by talking about possibly filibustering a bill...make them stand up and take the floor and actually filibuster the bill which only one Senator has actually carried out a filibuster threat under Reid, D-Sanders.
    Last edited by Eshlemon; 01-23-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    Quote Quote