Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Bucs and Rams GM impressed with Ireland and Dolphins

1. -71
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What I've been saying all along.

Obviously rabid fans don't want to hear it, but **** em, they'll be unhappy until the team is consistently contending, and I think this season is the one we turn the corner and people start seeing how good a job Ireland's actually done for us
    Supporter of logic and organizational consistency

Quote Quote  

2. -72
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 67Stang View Post
    2 of the thirds rounders he got was for the same person he traded two second rounders for....Ya, great job!
    But he did get two Pro Bowl seasons out of the guy before the trade, naturally a player's value declines with age...also considering the perceived legal problems he may have been facing his value had declined as well, that's not really Jeff's fault
    Quote Quote  

3. -73
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    Yes because Sparano and Parcells had nothing to do with the past. Sparano was an awful coach who couldnt develop talent, and Parcells was pulling the trigger on guys like Pat White and John Nalbone in the draft. And a ****ty owner like Wayne Huizenga allowing fools like Randy Muller waste high round draft picks on terrible players. Yea, none of that contributed to our annualy 7-9 records. With guys like Sparano, Dan Henning, and Parcells, its really a huge surprise that we didnt go 2-14 those years.

Ive never seen a fanbase so ungrateful and narrow minded about having so much cap space, flexibility, and draft picks after upgrading the coach and QB the previous year. Its almost like they would rather have less cap space and less picks just to spite Ireland. Like having Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis on our team would make us winners, because the last 2 years when they were on our team we were complete losers. Really, why are you so worried about having so much cap space and top picks in the draft? Are you afraid Ireland might actually use it well?
    I think we have to be realistic about the past and show some sophistication in our understanding of the working relationship between Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland during the time that Parcells was actively serving as Ireland's boss. It is clear that a decade of mediocrity has worn on the fan base of this franchise to the point where there is no longer any patience or any acceptance of error or mediocrity in the front-office.

It is absolutely clear that the Dolphins drafting during the coaching reigns of Wannsted, Saban and Cameron was very poor, particularly in the early rounds of the draft. When you miss in the early rounds of the draft you are forced to use free agency to fill the holes in your roster. Unfortunately, this leads to those starters who are obtained in free agency to be overpaid for their talent. This problem compounds itself over time putting the team into a slow spiral of death. This continued legacy of failure along with Cameron's failure as head coach led to the embarrassment that was the 1-15 season.

Regarding Parcells and Ireland, it is clear that the draft process was a team effort. Parcells dictated to Ireland the principles to use in ranking players and in prioritizing areas of need during the draft. Ireland's contribution to the process was to take those principles and the research done by the scouts (and to a lesser extent the coaches) to actually build the draft board. Prior to draft day Parcells reviewed Ireland's work to put his own imprint on the draft board. On draft day they followed their draft board work product to guide which players would be taken. Parcells served as a final arbiter on making decisions about the position prioritization (LT versus QB is the most well known example) but the actual players involved came from the draft board which was primarily Ireland's work product. Bottom line: Parcells provided the principles used to rank players, Ireland built the draft board, Parcells decided position prioritization (that we wanted to pick Ireland's top rated left tackle instead of his top rated quarterback), and Ireland used this guidance when provided to make the pick. On rare cases Parcells would override Ireland's judgement on both position and player to be taken (Pat White pick), but for the majority of the cases it was a consensus team effort with both Parcells and Ireland in agreement.

Finally, my concern about the current situation with draft picks and cap space was stated in a previous post. I think it is wonderful that we have so much ammunition to use going into the off season. If we were a normal franchise who had made the playoffs a few times in the last decade with a couple of playoff wins then it would simply be business as usual. But we're not a normal franchise. We've been incredibly mediocre for over a decade. We have a chance in this draft to fix our franchise. I pray that we do. But the downside of failure is unthinkable. If we come out of our first five draft picks without having made a significant improvement in our football team than we will have condemned ourselves to many continued years of mediocrity as a franchise. As I said in the earlier post, if it wasn't so important then no one would care.
    Quote Quote  

4. -74
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiNative0722 View Post
    The funny thing is the Rams GM should've probably picked Griffin.
    Idk, Griffin is this generation's Randall Cunningham, or Bo Jackson....Athletic prodigy that just won't be able to get past injuries.....This is the second time he's tore up his knee.

These were the concerns with Griffin heading in, and they're proving to be true. I'd rather have the picks they got probably
    Quote Quote  

5. -75
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by z926538 View Post
    Bottom line: Parcells provided the principles used to rank players, Ireland built the draft board, Parcells decided position prioritization (that we wanted to pick Ireland's top rated left tackle instead of his top rated quarterback), and Ireland used this guidance when provided to make the pick. On rare cases Parcells would override Ireland's judgement on both position and player to be taken (Pat White pick), but for the majority of the cases it was a consensus team effort with both Parcells and Ireland in agreement.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hearsay
    Quote Quote  

6. -76
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternNYDolfan View Post
    But he did get two Pro Bowl seasons out of the guy before the trade, naturally a player's value declines with age...also considering the perceived legal problems he may have been facing his value had declined as well, that's not really Jeff's fault
    I've said this before. Marshall wasn't traded because of his talent, he was traded for for being a **** up off the field. All Dolphin fans know this, so I really don't know why we dwell on it...

Now has Ireland found a talent to replace the void Marshall left, No, at least he didn't last season. This season though, it's painfully obvious this is at the top of his list based on yesterdays presser.
    http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/rex-ryan-foot.jpg

currently the 19th ranked competitive eater in the world
    http://www.ifoce.com/rankings.php
    Quote Quote  

7. -77
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Omen View Post
    I've said this before. Marshall wasn't traded because of his talent, he was traded for for being a **** up off the field. All Dolphin fans know this, so I really don't know why we dwell on it...

Now has Ireland found a talent to replace the void Marshall left, No, at least he didn't last season. This season though, it's painfully obvious this is at the top of his list based on yesterdays presser.
    Yea I'll be first to Slam Ireland if he can't find a playmaker at WR this offseason. But I wasn't mad about him not being replaced last year. A. There wasn't much on the market for him to even get, B. He knew it'd be a transition year w/ a rookie coach and most likely rookie QB, C. why overpay for a WR in a weak FA class, when he knew this year's class would be better?

He knew it was an issue, tried to bring in some vets to help. Is it his fault Chad Johnson all of a sudden was having domestic problems or that Gaffney couldn't learn the playbook? I don't think so.

His draft pick at WR last year, Rishard Mathews also looks like a future No. 2 guy. I think he did well.
    Quote Quote  

8. -78
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    Yes because Sparano and Parcells had nothing to do with the past. Sparano was an awful coach who couldnt develop talent, and Parcells was pulling the trigger on guys like Pat White and John Nalbone in the draft. And a ****ty owner like Wayne Huizenga allowing fools like Randy Muller waste high round draft picks on terrible players. Yea, none of that contributed to our annualy 7-9 records. With guys like Sparano, Dan Henning, and Parcells, its really a huge surprise that we didnt go 2-14 those years.

Ive never seen a fanbase so ungrateful and narrow minded about having so much cap space, flexibility, and draft picks after upgrading the coach and QB the previous year. Its almost like they would rather have less cap space and less picks just to spite Ireland. Like having Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis on our team would make us winners, because the last 2 years when they were on our team we were complete losers. Really, why are you so worried about having so much cap space and top picks in the draft? Are you afraid Ireland might actually use it well?
    i dont think people realize how bad this team was, when the tri-clowns took over.
    Quote Quote  

9. -79
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternNYDolfan View Post
    Yea I'll be first to Slam Ireland if he can't find a playmaker at WR this offseason. But I wasn't mad about him not being replaced last year. A. There wasn't much on the market for him to even get, B. He knew it'd be a transition year w/ a rookie coach and most likely rookie QB, C. why overpay for a WR in a weak FA class, when he knew this year's class would be better?

He knew it was an issue, tried to bring in some vets to help. Is it his fault Chad Johnson all of a sudden was having domestic problems or that Gaffney couldn't learn the playbook? I don't think so.

His draft pick at WR last year, Rishard Mathews also looks like a future No. 2 guy. I think he did well.
    I concur.

I think he tried to replace Marshall with some later round picks (even tried to uptain Hilton in the VD trade) and took a waiver on Chad and Gaffney, sadly for him/us none worked out... I know R. Wayne voiced his interest in coming to Miami, I wish we would have at least talked to the guy (but then again he signed with the Colts the first day of free agency so I'm not sure we were even given the chance)...

Still this offseason looks far more promising then last year. Last year at this time, we didn't know what kind of HC Philbin would be, we had Matt Moore as our QB, neede to extend C. Wake and had very little to spend in cap space... Yeah I feel a lot better about where this team is at right now then where we were this time last year.
    Quote Quote  

10. -80
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post

Not sure Ireland haters will be around once we become successful. Jeff Ireland is all about "the prostitute"
    The quote about dez bryant is one of the few things ireland has been RIGHT about. For THAT I supported him.

My animus against ireland is that he is an incompetent personnel evaluator who has a philosophy of avoiding drafting skill-position talent at all costs.
    Ryan Tannehill. Ah, what a relief. Life is good.
    Quote Quote