Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Read option or pistol offense?

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Read option or pistol offense?

It was just something that made me think and I wanted others input, as I've watched nfl network and them talk about the pistol offense with Kaepernick as well as Griffien's read option offense and the success there. I thought Tannehill for the most part played decent for his first season, especially considering his inexperience and lack of WR help and o line issues this season. It made me wonder if the offense would have had more success or how Tannehill would do or have done with a read option or pistol offense. I don't know much detail about the offense, other than it sets up the option for the hand off to the running back or the qb to hold on and run or throw, etc. But while I know tannehill is not blazing like Bob Griffin and Kap, he's pretty darn fast and I believe the Seahawks ran some variety of that offense with Wilson, who isn't blazing like griffin and Kap but quite athletic and fast himself. Tannehill while no Griffin is a great athlete and actucally ran faster than Andrew Luck who is pretty fast too. He's just a hair slower than wilson. Wilson ran a 4.55 40 at the combine, while Tannehill who couldn't run for the combine cuz of surgery but ran on his pro day ran a 4.58 40 which is a very good time for a qb. I mean he was a WR for college, so even slow WRs are pretty fast compared to many other players. This offense seems like it's useful for the athletic qbs, they have to be pretty fast and athletic, but don't have to be freakish fast as vick or griffin or Kap for it to work it seems though as evidence of Russel Wilson as stated previously. Or is it good miami doesn't or didn't use this offense as a qb is more prone to get destroyed and maybe a shorter career, as evident by the hits Griffin took from it. However, Kaepernick hasn't seemed to get nailed nearly as much as griffin and is it a matter of the coach and how the offensive system is used or has Kap just been smarter when running than Griffin and taken less hits?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Believe In Miami

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    canada, Qc
    Thanks / No Thanks
    if you were to run either one, i think it would be the pistol without a doubt.

The read-option requires a legitimate running threat at the quarterback position and while i love tannehill's abilities, they're not sufficient here.

I do like tannehill in a pistol offence though, he will not figure as a main threat on the ground, but defences would have to take in consideration his talent in those rollout/bootlegs/playaction/etc. plays. Tannehill is very good outside the pocket, either throwing or picking up a few yards on the ground...

with all that being said, I think the spread offence would be the best for him... (think of new england) ... he just needs that deep WR threat and I think he'd be a beast in a similar offence
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JT-forpresident View Post
    if you were to run either one, i think it would be the pistol without a doubt.

The read-option requires a legitimate running threat at the quarterback position and while i love tannehill's abilities, they're not sufficient here.

I do like tannehill in a pistol offence though, he will not figure as a main threat on the ground, but defences would have to take in consideration his talent in those rollout/bootlegs/playaction/etc. plays. Tannehill is very good outside the pocket, either throwing or picking up a few yards on the ground...

with all that being said, I think the spread offence would be the best for him... (think of new england) ... he just needs that deep WR threat and I think he'd be a beast in a similar offence
    What is the offense the seahawks use for Wilson then? I know it's not the same as what Redskins use for Griffien but I thought I heard there was some read option stuff used or variety in that offense used for Wilson and while Wilson's athletic, he's not speed demon like Griffin either. He's more on par with Tannehill, who can scramble and get yards and get bootlegs, but can't out run a whole defense 60 yards down the field like Griffin, Kap or Vick can.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Believe In Miami

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    canada, Qc
    Thanks / No Thanks
    from what I recall that seahawks played a lot of shotgun and they also played a lot in pro formations (2 RBs and a tight end).

They used his athletic ability in playaction and roll outs out of the I formation.
    In the shotgun, there wasn't any designed play really, he just always found a way to escape pressure like a spider monkey
    They played some pistol too but i'm really not sure on that one...

If you compare RGIII, Kaep and Russell wilson, the closest thing to what Tannehill ran is Wilson's playbook.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JT-forpresident View Post
    from what I recall that seahawks played a lot of shotgun and they also played a lot in pro formations (2 RBs and a tight end).

They used his athletic ability in playaction and roll outs out of the I formation.
    In the shotgun, there wasn't any designed play really, he just always found a way to escape pressure like a spider monkey
    They played some pistol too but i'm really not sure on that one...

If you compare RGIII, Kaep and Russell wilson, the closest thing to what Tannehill ran is Wilson's playbook.
    ah, I didn't know tannehill's playbook was somewhat similiar to wilson's. Well that's good and makes sense, as I believe tannehill's athletic ability is more on par or similar to Wilson's whereas, Griffin and Kap are on another level of running ability as those guys are really, really fast. I think everyone saw Kap in the packers game. He didn't just have 181 yards rushing, but out ran the whole packers defense. He outran the packers Dbs, which not many qbs, even the athletic ones can do other than the ultra fast and athletic one's like michael vick, and Robert Griffin can do
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

Re: Read option or pistol offense?

No thanks, RT is a passing QB who has always played in a WCO. We play a WCO and I am glad of it. I want a durable long term primarily pocket passer with the ability to run if needed to extend a play or drive. These dancing QBs are a fad, the defences will work out how to stop them next season..... Or they will all end up on IR beside RG3.
    Last edited by uk_dolfan; 01-23-2013 at 05:51 AM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill ran the read option a few times down the stretch and Rodgers has done it before so it is kind of a weapon out of the Philbin playbook. Tannehill and Wilson are mobile quarterbacks more so than option ones and it doesn't hurt Wilson that he was on one of the best teams at running out of shotgun. Kep, Griffin, Newton, and Tebow are all option quarterbacks. Griffin is a bit worrisome because he is smaller than the other three which lead to him getting hurt and in all likelihood he will comeback as more of a Wilson/Tannehill type runner. I know Griffin and Newton also had built into their playbooks some plays where they were only given 1 or 2 reads and told to run if they didnt see them. I don't think the option will be as big next season seeing as Tebow can't find a team, Griffin isn't coming back the same as he was even if everything heals fine they arent running him the same. Cam has a new coordinator who has to change things up because the way he is being used isnt as effective anymore. And I think Kep is only being run so much because they figure if he goes down they still have Alex Smith on the bench who is going to more or less put up the same stats minus the runs so you might as well use Kep's legs now because if he goes down that is all you are losing. With Smith leaving next season expect Kep to have less designed runs.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Keep my QB in the pocket 95% of the time.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The read option is here to stay and its only going to become more prevalent as more coaches that have had success with it in the college ranks come pro. Not that you want to see Tannehill running it a hundred times a season but why wouldn't you want to present him as a running threat at the goal line or in other unique short yardage situations? Or to pull out on occasion against an overaggressive defense.

Its silly to try and pass it off as a fad that'll disappear once defenses put a few licks on the QB. Not too long ago people were saying the same thing about the spread offenses, and they've come to dominate the nfl.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Personally, I think the Run and Shoot would be viable today.

Thanks Shifty!

Quote Quote