Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Read option or pistol offense?

1. -11
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Miami ran a few read-option plays for Tannehill. It's something to have for when you need it, but Tannehill isn't nearly as elusive as any of those QB's. More of a build-up speed guy.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    RGIII got knocked out of 3 games. Kaepernick and Newton are 6'5 240+ this will soon lose a lot of popularity. It will stick around a few plays a game besides Kaep Cam who will be stay healthy. once RGIII or even Johnny Football get injured teams will shy away from it. I like it the way Sherm ran it at the end of the year (about 3-5 times a game). this isn't the big 12 these defenders in the NFL cover ground like youve never seen. I don't want to run Tannehill anymore than 3-5 times a game on designed runs.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fanfin View Post
    RGIII got knocked out of 3 games. Kaepernick and Newton are 6'5 240+ this will soon lose a lot of popularity. It will stick around a few plays a game besides Kaep Cam who will be stay healthy. once RGIII or even Johnny Football get injured teams will shy away from it. I like it the way Sherm ran it at the end of the year (about 3-5 times a game). this isn't the big 12 these defenders in the NFL cover ground like youve never seen. I don't want to run Tannehill anymore than 3-5 times a game on designed runs.
    Kaepernick's size is deceiving. He doesn't look 240lbs or more, because he has long legs and his build looks lean and lanky. Not that he doesn't look like hes muscular. But guys like Big Ben, you can tell or figure they're 250 or bigger dudes. Cam Newton you can tell too that he's a bigger dude, whereas, for Kap it doesn't look like it. His build is more like Griffin's whose 220 I think. But maybe it's from Kap being so tall, as height adds weight too. I think Griffin is just 6'1"-6'2" whereas Kap as you say has more height than Griffin at 6'5".
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    Miami ran a few read-option plays for Tannehill. It's something to have for when you need it, but Tannehill isn't nearly as elusive as any of those QB's. More of a build-up speed guy.
    Very good summary. Tannehill would get clobbered if you exposed him too much. He doesn't have to effortless agility and sliding/ducking instincts of Russell Wilson.

Many NFL teams are going to incorporate read-option or pistol looks that aren't really options at all, at least not in terms of the quarterback taking off downfield. They will be designed to influence or freeze defenders, to give them a look they aren't expecting. Then the quarterback will take advantage by setting quickly and throwing a dart. Green Bay did some of that. This isn't a trend that benefits only the teams with athletic quarterbacks. Of course, you really have to pick your spots, and handicap the tendencies of the defensive end.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No thanks.

There are several good reasons why, but the only one that really matters to me is QB health.

We drafted Dan Marino in 1983, and we did not draft a top notch QB again until Tannehill in 2013, so 30 years apart. Marino had a great career but it wasn't a particularly long career. Guys like Farve, Manning and Brady have been able to have very long careers. IMHO, had Dan not received the bungled surgery he probably would have played longer and performed even better than he did the last few years. Health not only effects longevity, but also performance.

Running QB's will have more health issues. I want a high performing QB for 15+ years if possible let, and I don't envision any of these running QB's maintaining a high level of play for that long.

Who have been the best non-drafted QB's since Marino retired? How long were they great? I'm coming up with Peyton Manning who everybody wanted, and then dropping down to guys like Gannon, Pennington, Cassel, and Farve. Rarely do elite QB's come available outside of the draft, and when they do it tends to be only for a few years then you need to rebuild again anyway.

No, if you want a QB, you need to draft them. They are hard to find and always risky. When I find one I want to keep him healthy as long as possible, so I'm not opening him up to multiple big hits from LB's and S's every game.

Like the wildcat, the read option and pistol will be defensed, and this copycat league will all implement it. Cam Newton was good last year, but he was figured bout, and was simply solid this year.

Multiple formations, personnel grouplings, formation morphing, all those things will be done. The running, I'm hoping we do not add.

One of he other reasond
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Like the wildcat, the read option and pistol will be defensed, and this copycat league will all implement it. Cam Newton was good last year, but he was figured bout, and was simply solid this year.
    And what was the big difference between the simply solid first half of the season from Cam and the great second half when he outplayed his rookie campaign?
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    it is what it is

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Justice League Watchtower
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Completely agreed w/ JT-forpres in post 2.

I'd like to see the phins use the diamond formation like the Packers and Niners do.

Further the formation used by Green Bay (QB is in the pistol, both RB's are in the B Gap to either side, FB being 2 yds behind LOS, & TB at the standard 8 yds behind LOS) intrigues me as well
    Winning without ethics is not winning at all - Don Shula.

Quote Quote  

8. -18
    it is what it is

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Justice League Watchtower
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    Personally, I think the Run and Shoot would be viable today.
    Agreed.

The R & S today could be thought as the Spread w/ option routes in the passing game. That being said...

The difference between the Zone Read & Read option as I understand it is;

The ZRO is about the QB keys on a DE or OLB & goes from there.

The Wishbone and Veer are variations on the Read.

FWIW; The Cornhuskers scheme during Osborne's tenure is a hybrid of the 2.
    Quote Quote