Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Salguero: Jake Long wants to get PAID

1. -21
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I posted a long reply and my web crapped out - Here is the abridged version

My reply to the "Don't tag him" crowd.

We have glaring holes at WR and TE. Tannehill needs weapons to show what he is made of. So you are going to let his left tackle go and plug in the guy from the above video? I'm not about unplugging one whole to plug in another (The ship will still sink). We have wasted money on numerous scrubs throughout free agency and gotten nothing in return for it. Why not bet on one of the only players we have had worth cheering for because he is still young and has potential to bounce back.

At the very worst, if he plays the same way he did this year, RT will have made progress with his "new playmakers" and Martin would have had an extra year under his belt to transition into the league.
    Same if he stinks it up.
    But if he does come out of his hole, we will have a young LT that is NOT AN EASY POSITION TO FILL.

1. Tannehill can't throw from his back and we have a dreadully thin oline
    2. Tannehill can't keep throwing to the scrubs he has at his disposal now

Sometimes you need to choose one road and bite the bullet on the other.
    And don't tell me you are all ok with drafting a OL in the first couple of rounds because you can't even say that with a straight face.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo West CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Guy already got paid in his rookie contract. Very lucky he came in when he did. As long as we are on the topic of 3's here are my 3 scenarios.

1. Negotiate a team friendly contract and sign him
    2. Find a replacement at either LT or RT and make the move, but do not pull a Brandon Marshall.
    3. Tag him. While it is not a friendly move for next years cap it won't be an issue in the future and you can make a move to tighten up the position for the future and get a lot of protection for the young QB. I really think that it would be unwise with the way the current roster sits to go through every dime of cap space in this offseason. So the 15 million would just be something that comes off the books at provides space for offseason 2014.

MY FAM
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I'm fine with paying him $8-9 million a year. Its probably more than he's worth, but letting Long walk means we have to waste yet another draft pick replacing him. At some point we have to stop replacing players, and start adding to our existing players. Johnathan Martin may turn out to be ok (I think he played poorly most of the year), but you need 2 decent OT's. If we can afford to re-sign Long, theres no reason why we shouldnt.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by tazthenomad View Post
    Another example of awful writing/reporting. He mixes in opinions and facts and summarizes by saying these are the facts.

Long isn't worth 11 million but we shouldn't let AS incite us to hate Long based on hearsay & opinions . Let's see what Long asks for.
    Well, the title is "Facts, opinions on Long's 'complicated' negotiation," so I'm not sure why that is surprising...

Not typically an Armando fan, but can't say I disagree with anything he wrote.

Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    I'm fine with paying him $8-9 million a year. Its probably more than he's worth, but letting Long walk means we have to waste yet another draft pick replacing him. At some point we have to stop replacing players, and start adding to our existing players. Johnathan Martin may turn out to be ok (I think he played poorly most of the year), but you need 2 decent OT's. If we can afford to re-sign Long, theres no reason why we shouldnt.
    Fine, even if he played poorly, we still went 4-2 with him at LT. That shows that we can win with him in the position and don't need to draft a RT high and certainly don't need to overpay for Long.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    you tag jake long and pay him $15 mil you should be drawn and quartered on the spot...that's the worst idea and scenario possible...$15.3 mil...for a guy coming off ir the last 2 seasons and who's play has declined for 2 years straight...

the problem here is what i expected it to be...long got paid $60 mil over 5 years on his rookie deal his ego is gonna be an issue...

give the guy a take it or leave it...the boselli thing by armando is exactly how this is playing out with long right now...the only saving grace here is that even the top guys are signing more team friendly contracts on the oline now a days...so his agent doesn't have much leverage there...still i bet if he does sign before free agency it's gonna be for top tackle money...and he's not worth it...

this offseason is our chance to get difference making playmaker guys that win games talent in here...don't waste a quarter of it on guys who are injury prone and declining on the field
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    First Jake Long needs to get into shape. I saw him without his shirt on and he's so out of shape. He needs to hit the weight machine and bulk-up. He has definitely under-performed for a #1 pick and has had way too many injuries.

-ucfpf13
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    The Ghost

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dude already got paid. Now it's time to take one for the team or leave.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

The Contortionist: Language I: Intuition
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Bc...cFcJcoyqt1u2zg
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Valandui View Post
    Dude already got paid. Now it's time to take one for the team or leave.
    Long needs to check into reality. He's made nearly $60 million from the Dolphins the past five seasons and he hasn't exactly delivered $60 million worth of production.
    Not even close to that much.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tagging Jake Long is the dumbest thing you can do in this situation. You don't pay 15 million dollars for a left tackle let alone one with a chronic knee.
    Quote Quote