Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looks like we're getting our stadium upgrades!

1. -21
    Winning is a Habit

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Dolphin1972 Dolphins LogoJurassic WorldCam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMarksBros. View Post
    Whose pockets do suppose will be lined by the profits from these events? The stadium is privately owned, and should be privately maintained. Miami-Dade has bigger fish to fry(public education and roads at the very minimum) than pay for stadium upgrades for a super bowl that will be in town once every 5-10 years.
    Ross gets little to no gain for the ticket revenue.

The Super Bowl Committee uses the revenue to pay for special events during the Supr Bowl and for performers.

- Hall of Fame Safety Rod Woodson on Dan Marino playing in today's NFL:
    "...the best quarterback I believe is Dan Marino..."
    "If he played with these rules, he'd throw for 100,000 yards."

Twitter
    - https://twitter.com/ciscoholgate

Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Playstation Logo
Gift received at 03-18-2014, 10:36 PM from DisturbedShifty
Message: I saw the PS controller so I figured you'd like the PS logo as well.1972 Dolphins LogoPS4 ControllerMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91
    Whose pockets do suppose will be lined by the profits from these events? The stadium is privately owned, and should be privately maintained. Miami-Dade has bigger fish to fry(public education and roads at the very minimum) than pay for stadium upgrades for a super bowl that will be in town once every 5-10 years.
    Local businesses and those they employ and local government funds for starters... sorry you wont be getting a cheque in the mail though.

This is standard practice all around the world, invest cash in the short term, reap long term benefit in tourism tax and spending. The London Olympics made a massive impact on the British Economy last year and tourism will continue be boosted in the next new few years, to get that boost we had to put cash in, thats how these things world. This isnt "another evil Miami billionaire picking on poor little Miami" this is how the world works.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    $200 million seems like a drop in the bucket compared to the 16 trillion our Federal govt. owes to bond holders all over the world. It's only a matter of time folks. Enjoy it while it lasts. I'm okay throwing away another 200 million as long as it improves the entertainment while we are still eating. Yes I have given up on our govt. Go Dolphins.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not sure you understand. Those events bring millions to the local economy which includes exposure that has positive long term benefits to tourism. Ross does not get money from that. The stadium is just the venue but the whole area benefits from such events.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    When will we invest in winning?

Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    this is why he makes money and you don't. He's a smart business man. why would you put all your money in in something that could make you no money in return?
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Winning is a Habit

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    When will we invest in winning?
    If only it were as easy as putting money into your team and results came back in the same amount as your investment.
    We'd have the 2nd best team in the NFL behind Seattle.

This move is more about South Florida than it is about Ross.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DzakkH13 View Post
    This move is more about South Florida than it is about Ross.
    Unfortunately you're correct. It's a bad move for South Florida and that will be true long after Ross is dead.

The new venues are awesome in scope and design. This won't threaten that. It's a patchwork, a patchwork slapped together in the late going. This isn't like the logo, where an inept design is panned beforehand and quietly amended. Whatever they stick up there, we're stuck with. And there will be mistakes, whether it's rain or sun or convenience related, if not all of the above. No problem, more patching.

I won't give up completely but there's also very little prospect we'll have a dominating home field advantage. I do studies in that regard all the time, comparing home and road results via points scored, points against, comparison to the pointspread, and several related categories. Our venue is so far behind the average and the median, by more than a point and a half, that it would take a remarkable adjustment to catch up. I'm not aware of an example of a bland stadium patched to something other than that.

I'm forever amazed at the strange weighing of variables, what people are willing to settle for, if it satisfies a check box. There, we've got our new stadium, the details be damned. Corporations certainly have figured it out. Throw out a few press releases, veiled threats, and attacks on the opposition, while happily holding out your palms.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Winning is a Habit

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    Unfortunately you're correct. It's a bad move for South Florida and that will be true long after Ross is dead.

The new venues are awesome in scope and design. This won't threaten that. It's a patchwork, a patchwork slapped together in the late going. This isn't like the logo, where an inept design is panned beforehand and quietly amended. Whatever they stick up there, we're stuck with. And there will be mistakes, whether it's rain or sun or convenience related, if not all of the above. No problem, more patching.

I won't give up completely but there's also very little prospect we'll have a dominating home field advantage. I do studies in that regard all the time, comparing home and road results via points scored, points against, comparison to the pointspread, and several related categories. Our venue is so far behind the average and the median, by more than a point and a half, that it would take a remarkable adjustment to catch up. I'm not aware of an example of a bland stadium patched to something other than that.

I'm forever amazed at the strange weighing of variables, what people are willing to settle for, if it satisfies a check box. There, we've got our new stadium, the details be damned. Corporations certainly have figured it out. Throw out a few press releases, veiled threats, and attacks on the opposition, while happily holding out your palms.
    $200 million is a tiny investment compared to a brand new stadium that will cost $1 billion at the least.
    The NFL and Goddell really strong armed the Dolphins into this. Basically they said no more Super Bowls until upgrades are made.

It's fine by me if we don't get them, the win loss column for the Dolphins won't change any if they are made or not.
    An investment by South Florida shows they care about the Dolphins and the next owner after Ross will take notice.

There is more to gain from supporting Ross in this endeavor than there is to lose.
    The taxes will not come from locals and the economic impact will be huge if Miami picks up an extra Super Bowl every five years because of it.
    Not to mention the soccer deal Ross is trying to put together that would bring even more International attention and money to South Florida.

Economically it's a safe investment for South Florida. You have a few extra large events that attract hundreds of thousands of people who all spend money.
    These hundreds of thousands of people eat out, shop, visit local attractions, take cabs, and hell even the strippers make more money.

But don't be too sad over the council passing the vote. My guess is they lowball the Dolphins and offer up less than half of what he is asking for.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathStar View Post
    Guy worth $4 billion wants to bid on AEG worth $7 billion but won't pay for $400 million...What a country.

I would have love to get some of this corporate welfare when starting my own business. I had to do it the old fashioned way....getting a loan!
    How do you think these sociopaths like Stephen Ross get rich in the first place.

They have no qualms, no conscious, telling them what is right and wrong in these situations. They take, and take, and steal, and do not care. They are cheap like you wouldn't believe.

Normal people like you and me would never get as rich as they are, because we would actually do the right thing too many times.
    Quote Quote