Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: Who do we need to re-sign?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Long

33 18.86%
  • Smith

40 22.86%
  • Bush

76 43.43%
  • Hartline

84 48.00%
  • Starks

103 58.86%
  • Fasano

33 18.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which free agent needs to stay?

1. -11
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jake Long is #1. Then I'd say it's Reggie Bush. Smith and Clemons I think are also should re-signs, but the rest are replaceable. But I'd like Starks back, but Odrick and a 1st or 2nd round pick can replace Starks though. Hartline and Fasano will be told see ya.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

Re: Which free agent needs to stay?

Smith is the main one for me.

Then Hartline and Bush.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Clearwater, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    I think this team needs to bring back Hartline and bush
    Smith and Starks are tossups. I wouldn't care either way if they were let go or brought back.
    i wouldn't even offer Long or Fasano a contract personally.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would have to say Jake Long, then Randy Starks. Our DL is our strength and with another pass rusher when we get into our nickel defense (which we run 60-70%) of the game with Starks and Odrick getting push up the middle it really opens up things for Wake. And we will add another pass rusher to atleast play nickel and maybe start in base defense as well. LT is such a hard positional to fill. We can have 57 million in cap space if we Cut Marshall and Patterson and 52 if we only cut one. If we gave Jake Long 10 million a year we would still have 42-47 in cap space for a few of our own free agents (starks, fasano, bush) and a few big name free agents. I know everyone wants Long to go but who else are we gonna pick to fill his spot besides a first round pick on another offensive lineman. Martin is not a franchise LT otherwise he wouldn't have fell to the second round.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Of those players...barring a willingness to come back at a discount...only Fasano.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Long, bush, hart line and Starks......that's it. Free agent cb and draft 1 or 2.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Phin fan since 1970!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Move Odrick to DT and sign a DE in FA. Why pay Starks. we need a DE/OLB who sacks QBs.

Long needs to be sign at the right price. If not then Hartline is second.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It is pretty hard to find decent cornerbacks. While $6M/yr seems a ridiculously high figure, Sean Smith has shown steady improvement and would be hard to replace. My inclination would be to resign him as the top priority and to save the money by letting Jake Long walk. I would like to resign Hartline but if he's asking for crazy money, ie upwards of $5M/yr, I'd let him walk too. While he makes a decent #3 WR, he can be replaced if we need to. Fasano would make a decent #2 TE, but it is more important to sign or draft a genuine playmaker as our prime TE than to resign Fasano.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbanger View Post
    Move Odrick to DT and sign a DE in FA. Why pay Starks. we need a DE/OLB who sacks QBs.

Long needs to be sign at the right price. If not then Hartline is second.
    Signing/Drafting a big time Defensive End should be a priority. However resigning Starks should also be a priority. Moving Odrick to DT to rotate with Starks and Soliai should be the plan. If both Starks and McDaniel leave who is your depth at DT? Do you want to rely on just Kheeston Randall and Chas Alecxih?
    I would rather keep the strength of the interior Defensive line intact. Lack of quality depth at Linebacker killed the Dolphins this year why create the same problem on the defensive line?

The Dolphins should make it a priority to resign the quality players that were already on the team such as Starks, Bush , Hartline, Smith, Fasano, and Clemons. I am not saying overpay these guys but the team needs to make sure that they have some decent depth. I would say resign Long as well but his salary demands factored in with his recent injuries along with the drop in the quality of his play lately , I would say the Dolphins just let him walk.

So the two guys who I would make my top priority to resign are Starks because he key to keeping the D-line strong. Followed by Bush because he is one of the few play makers the team has had the last couple years.

Next would be Smith. He may not be a top corner but he would be a quality #2 corner. I wouldn't pay him more than 6 mil a year but if they can get him at a that rate on maybe a 3 or 4 year deal then he should be resigned. If not then you look at another CB in free agency. They need to find a #1 corner either way. I would rather have the new Corner starting across from Smith then have to rely on Carroll, Marshall (who I believe should be cut because he was always a liability in coverage even before the injury), or Patterson who will most likely be cut as well.

I would also try to resign Hartline. He would be a good #3 receiver but I wouldn't pay him more than 5 mil per season. Also I would make a fair offer to Fasano. He is a good quality #2 tight end. I would also try to resign Clemons because I believe he provides quality depth to the secondary. This of course is contingent on the Dolphins drafting one of the top Safeties, resigning Smith or signing another CB (possibly 2) and/or drafting a top CB.

The Dolphins lack depth at many positions which is why they shouldn't let all of their own free agents walk. Of course most of us can see that they lack quality starters at WR, DE, TE, CB, S, OG & OT. I don't believe they will be able to fill all of those holes this offseason but if they make the right moves they should be able fill most of them.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Reggie needs to stay. valuable weapon on offense.
    Quote Quote