Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brady/Manning winding down, ray lewis retiring, steelers D old, huge offseason for us

1. -1
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks

OPINION Brady/Manning winding down, ray lewis retiring, steelers D old, huge offseason for us

If you think about it the last decade the patriots, colts (with manning), ravens, and steelers have been running this conference. 7 Superbowl's combined since 2000, (pats 3, steelers 2, colts 1, ravens 1.) Now lets be honest. Brady and Manning are both still playing at very high levels but Manning will be 37 and Brady will be 36. Both of them could not get their teams to the superbowl this year. Historically it is rare for elite NFL QB's to play deep into their 30's. Elway retired at 37? Marino 37? Montana 36? Kelly 35? Yes I know Favre played into his 40's but he is not your typical pocket passing QB like brady, manning, marino. He is more of a street ball type player and it was still effective into his 40's but that is extremely rare. OK look, both Manning and Brady will still be playing at a high level for the next maybe 1-3 years if that? Every QB fades. Every QB gets old. Every QB winds down. It's inevitable. Brady and Manning can sit there all they want and talk about wanting to play into their 40's but the fact of the matter is both of them are coming to an end of their careers. Even if they both played past 38 I don't see them playing at an extremely high level. Not a high enough level to where I'm scared of them. Not mid 2000's level. No way. So in a few years both of them will be out of the picture. Now to the ravens and the steelers.

The Steelers defense is aging and they have some work to do. Harrison is done. Polamalu cant even get on the field. Kiesel is old. Hampton is old. Their LB's are getting old. Plain and simple that defense is not the dominating force they once were. Kevin Colbert is one of the best in the business so the steelers will be right back to where they were in the next few years but who knows where this transition period will lead them, there are question marks. Now the Ravens are obviously and elite team because their in the Superbowl but they have some issues moving forward as well. Ray Leiws is retiring and they will be losing the heart and soul of that team. A void will be left there once he retires. It wont be the same in the locker room for them, in the building. But once again ozzie newsome is one of the best in the business so this team isnt going anywhere. They have some age on Defense with ed reed and ray lewis, they have skill players on offense, but maybe, maybe this superbowl run was just an emotional ride? Either way they will have some question marks as well moving forward.

So my point is the landscape of the AFC that we grew to know the last decade (manning, brady, ray lewis, the steelers) it is changing. There is a window here for a team or two to step up and make an impact in the AFC. Is it the bengals? texans? colts? All I know is this offseason is one of the biggest in team history. With all this capspace and draft picks we have to nail this offseason. This could set us up for the next decade to establish ourselves as a legit contender in the AFC. I do believe we have our QB. I like Tannehill a lot, he is raw and will have growing pains but he is gonna be a good one. I like Philbin. I think he has a plan, he is well organized, he has structure. Now Ireland has to nail this offseason because in the next 2-3 years we will wake up with an AFC without Brady or Manning, would we have made all the right moves? Or will we be stuck in mediocrity. Now is the time, this offseason is HUGE!
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    In memoriam

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mexico City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Texans, Bengals and Chiefs say hi.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I hope that Brady, and Manning keep trying for 3-4 more years. Both are still good, but declining. Hopefully we will pull even with them this year and then move by them going forward. The Patriots have Mallet waiting in the wings, but he has not proven himself yet.

The bottom line is that Ireland drafts another 3 Egnews and signs this years FA version of Nanee Legadoo, and another over the hill Garrard this off season, it won't matter what the other teams have. We can talk about the greatness of Ireland's mediocrity for years to come.
    I will enjoy creating my mock drafts only to come away from the draft disappointed...yet again.I(I had Hilton and Givens in my 2012 mock)
    Sorry to veer off topic a little, but really, Ireland's decision making has more impact than a group of soon to be retired players.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I mentioned the bengals and texans. But lets be honest, schaub sucks, andre johnson is old, and that defense sucks. The chiefs? I'll wait and see.

I hope that Brady, and Manning keep trying for 3-4 more years. Both are still good, but declining. Hopefully we will pull even with them this year and then move by them going forward. The Patriots have Mallet waiting in the wings, but he has not proven himself yet.

The bottom line is that Ireland drafts another 3 Egnews and signs this years FA version of Nanee Legadoo, and another over the hill Garrard this off season, it won't matter what the other teams have. We can talk about the greatness of Ireland's mediocrity for years to come.
    I will enjoy creating my mock drafts only to come away from the draft disappointed...yet again.I(I had Hilton and Givens in my 2012 mock)
    Sorry to veer off topic a little, but really, Ireland's decision making has more impact than a group of soon to be retired players.
    That is why Ireland has to nail this offseason. He knows this is it. He lines his job is on the line. If he botches this offseason then were screwed, now is the time. And Ryan Mallett? When he steps in he might be good but lets be honest, tom brady is arguably the greatest QB of all time, nobody is replacing him.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphone View Post
    Chiefs?

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Brady is winding down? 34 TD's 8 INT's is winding down? You all have been calling for his decline for a decade now, the guy's game isn't reliant on deep passes or mobility, it's all in the pocket and short and intermediate passes. If Brady says he can play till he's 45 I'd believe him.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    Chiefs?
    Exactly what I was thinking. They just won 2 games didn't they?
    Prov 3:6
    : in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Brady is winding down? 34 TD's 8 INT's is winding down? You all have been calling for his decline for a decade now, the guy's game isn't reliant on deep passes or mobility, it's all in the pocket and short and intermediate passes. If Brady says he can play till he's 45 I'd believe him.
    Tom Brady is a human being he is not superman yes his numbers were good this year but he does not have the capability of single handily leading his team to this clutch wins anymore. It's reality. It's fact. Brady is winding down and we all saw it sunday night. Every elite QB starts to decline in their late 30's. So what are u saying he is on an upswing? No. Look I even said he will being playing at a high level for the next few years but the magic is winding down. Will you really be that concerned with a 38 year old tom brady? I wont be. All I'm saying is he is on the path of decline and we need to make moves now so were ready to compete when brady/manning/ray lewis/ and the steelers defense is gone.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    All im saying is this offseason couldn't happen at a better time. It could set us up for a decade plus without peyton manning, tom brady, ray lewis, and that vintage steelers defense. Now is the time. If ireland botches this offseason we wont close the gap.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    QB's in their late 30's break down. Their arms and shoulders break down and our sore. Their knees and bodies are battered from punishment. Marino even said he was beat up at the end of his career. If u think manning/brady are not slowly entering the declining years of their careers then your incorrect. But if both of them play into their 40's at a high level then ill stand corrected and be shocked but i highly doubt it.
    Quote Quote