Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPN "Mel Kiper re-grades the 2012 draft"

1. -11
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    It shows how little we settle for when we see a guy who made like 3 plays the entire season and see him as a draft positive.

when the biggest compliments you can lay on a player consist of "well he started" or that he was a "contributor", you know you are just reaching for positives
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Too early to tell..
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Fair grade. I might have said a B, but whatevs.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Who cares, lets look to the future. Great things are ahead for us.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    When talking about the past draft, I am not sure why some people always choose to immediately focus on Egnew. Tannehill and Martin are already starters. Miller contributed and might be a starter in 2013 and Vernon made an impact. Even Matthews and Randall contributed. Yet some only want to concentrate on the one who did not play to make a case that it was a "bad" draft. Egnew, the 4th pick of the Dolphins draft does not define the entire draft.

It was a good draft for the Dolphins, despite the early outlook on Egnew.
    Its just one bullet in the ammo of the ireland haters... Its the easy thing to point out and the fastest way for them to say he screwed up somehow. Even though like you said the rest of the draft was pretty good and e have some starters and decent backups out of this draft that doesnt matter to them. Randall is decent and that shelby kid i thought was pretty good too. Thigpen the UDFA was also a great pick up but they dont want to point it out. Well hopefully Ireland gets some playmakers this Offseason and drafts a few more and he can get a few people pff his back.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post
    It shows how little we settle for when we see a guy who made like 3 plays the entire season and see him as a draft positive.

when the biggest compliments you can lay on a player consist of "well he started" or that he was a "contributor", you know you are just reaching for positives
    Those are pretty good expectations and results from rookies.

Two starters, 4 rotational guys some of which will eventually start.

So yea, i agree with everyone else, it was a b draft.

I get the impression you think we should come out of the draft with 4-5the starters, and i dont see that ever being realistic.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    we got our qb...everything else is pretty much gravy...martins got long term starting ability at tackle vernons still got upside as a pass rusher and flashed at times...lamar millers ready to contribute more in 2013...his mindset is what you want in a zbs back...one cut and north and south quick acceleration and terrific balance...mathews has #2 wr long term upside at least i'd say... solid draft

although the egnew pick was HORRID
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by 2413fanphins View Post
    Those are pretty good expectations and results from rookies.

Two starters, 4 rotational guys some of which will eventually start.

So yea, i agree with everyone else, it was a b draft.

I get the impression you think we should come out of the draft with 4-5the starters, and i dont see that ever being realistic.
    Not at all. My grade at the moment is tbd. I love the way tanny played and he has exceeded my expectations but the rest to me are a bunch of big unknowns and I have not seen enough of any of them to definitively say good pick. Maybe Vernon turns out to be a steal. I hope so but he hasn't done enough to warrant any sort of positive from me. Martin has potential but he still needs to improve to be considered a good starting tackle. He might turn into one but he also might turn into the "serviceable" type, which to me would be a disappointment for a high second round pick.

There are fans who every year, no matter who we draft, say what a good draft we had and laud our picks. Every year, no matter who we pick. The only time they move off that assessment is when a player so overtly busts that its literally impossible to continue to defend him. They use attributes like "starter" and "contributes". Well the league is filled with crappy players that start and contribute at times. Outside of tanny I haven't seen nearly enough from any of the rookies to warrant a "good pick" grade from me. I'm not saying they are bad picks, heck I'm not even ready to say egnew is a bust yet. I'm saying that they haven't had the rookie season that says "good pick".

You know who I can confidently say had a good draft? The colts. The Seahawks. Washington. There are also a number of players I can look at and say that was a good pick.

You might say that there are also fans who criticize every draft, no matter who we pick. Well, that might be true also. But it's gonna be hard to differentiate them from the fans who have just been right over the last ten years. I hope last years draft is different but it still gets a tbd from me.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Kiper is a m0r0n, but that said...

He bases his analysis on finding blue chip, screaming, probowl, talent & Ireland bases his idea of a successful draft on 'value'.

Hopefuly Ireland will just pick the best possible player this year, and not continue to go for the 'best value'
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Kiper is a pompous idiot anyways
    Quote Quote