Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What rule or penalty would you like gone?

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

WTF What rule or penalty would you like gone?

we could go back n watch reall football not this PANSY lack of hitting ,touching the QB in the helmet ,hitting a defenseless WR ,horse collar tackle,tuck rule,taunting to much celabration.i know they are trying to protect the players but come on man some of these rules and calls are for little kids leagues.dont get me wrong i do want the players to be safe and not worry about their long term future but at times i scream at the tv when the refs call some lame azz penalty.i like seeing CB'S destroy some one cumming accross the midle blasting a wr just as the balll gets to him but i think they have put into place a system where most players are affraid to play that way because of the fines or calls against them.there was a time where only the kicker was off limints now its the QB,WR,AND JUST ABOUT ANY PLAYER WITH THE BALL IN HIS HAND.
    so what rule or rules along with penalty calls would you like to see gone.
    do you want the old NFL back?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

What rule or penalty would you like gone?

You have no idea what professional football players go through as well as the long term and short term affects it has on their bodies even without the helmet to helmet hits and horse collar tackles,

Don't watch football if you don't like it. You shouldn't try to crash a helmet into someone else's skull, jarring their brain around. The pain they endure throughout the season would keep most of us out of work for weeks, maybe even short term disability yet you want more violence?

I didn't even bother reading the rest of the post because you lost credibility pretty early. By the way, paragraphs are your friends.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tuck rule
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I would like kickoffs moved back 5 or 10 yards, right where they used to be. So many touchbacks now....

I would like the tuck rule removed. Several big plays a year result in a BS call because of it.

I would like every play to be challenegable by the red flag. Theses refs are too quick to blow the whistle at times.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Illegal contact. The rule is so vague that it becomes incredibly inconsistent when called in real time. I honestly have no idea anymore what constitutes it.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Clearwater, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    The tuck rule is idiotic
    I don't like how the ball can touch the ground and be ruled a catch as long as it doesn't move.
    They need to move kickoff back to where it was.
    15 yard penalty for challenging an automatically reviewed play.

Those are just a few off the top of my head
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Tuck rule has to go, it is the worst by far IMO.

The way that pass interference gets called also needs to be cleaned up. Based on which set of refs are calling a game, pass interference can be called in radically different ways.

Ultimately I think the calls should be made by an 'eye in the sky' type, set of refs sitting in a box way up in the stadium watching screens with multiple angles. Too many games are impacted by how the refs decide to call the game right now.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i understand football as i have played it over 12 years. i know not at the same level as the nfl but none the less i wittnessed the injuries and all the other rigors of the game.as i stated above i dont want the safety of the players at jepordy.i just dont like some of the calls being made on the field of play.including some of the penalities for being aggressive.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 911972 Dolphins Logo
    I want the spike done away with. It's intentional grounding. It's your fault you are so far behind and running out of time, play better in the first three quarters. I agree with others: tuck rule, move the kickoff back, challenge any and every play. What would be exciting is if there was no such thing as ineligible receivers-imagine the wide open offense you could have there.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I love that you went here. All of the above - the game has gotten super-pansy. I hate the way the rules have made it so easy to complete dink and dunk passes - which is why passing yardage and completion %'s (and thus QBRs) are way up now. In fact, if you can't hit 65% of your passes you suck. I like balanced football and these rules have rendered the running game something you do to take a breather in between pass plays. I have pet peeves with other rules as well. Here's my list:

1. The "Polian" rule - institued in 2004 after the Pats put a smackdown on Colts WRs in the playoffs - illegal contact after 5 yards needs to be called the way it was called pre-2004. Let the guys play a little. I'm tired of watching guys like Wes Welker catch 4 yard passes all day long. That is boring football.

2. Hitting a defenseless guy with the ball - it used to be reserved for when the ball sailed over the WRs head and he didn't touch it but still got leveled by the safety or corner. I was ok with that. Go back to "if he got a hand on it, he's fair game".

3. Any "situational" rule - my favorite (not) is the rule that was implemented after Ken Stabler's infamous "Holy Roller". If a runner fumbles the ball at any point during the game - except the last 2 minutes of half 1 and last 5 minutes of the game - the fumbling team can recover and advance his fumble. If said fumble happens in either of the two exception areas above, only the player who fumbled can advance the ball - in other words he has to get up and recover his own fumble or the ball goes back to where he fumbled it. Why? Because the league doesn't want another Holy Roller play that impacts the outcome of the game. My favorite part of this? The situational aspect of this does not apply in OT. So in OT, I can fumble, my teammate can recover and run for a TD and we win. That affects the outcome of the game as much or more than the last 5 minutes of a game and the last 2 minutes of the first half. Also, how do we expect the refs to get this right each time? My head hurts just thinking about it. Situational rules are dumb!

4. Icing the kicker during the kick - get rid of this. It doesn't work (statisitcs show it actually improves accuracy) and it allows the kicking team a practice shot (see Atlanta-Seattle playoff game).

5. Taunting - if I got paid $5MM a year I'd be ok with a WR taunting me after he burned me on an 80 yd bomb. Grow up.

6. The "football move" - what happened to the days when a catch was a catch? Why do we have to review every reception along the sidelines or down in the dirt? The problem with the football move is that it can be interpreted differently by different refs. I get that they implemented it to make life easier to get the call right but I don't think it works. How often do you see a guy catch a short pass on his hip, turn up field and get popped where the ball comes out? In the old days, that is a fumble. Today, more often than not - and even though the guy never bobbled the ball and he took a few steps - we get "he never made a football move - incomplete". A couple years ago this killed us in a game vs the Texans where Kris Brown got popped after taking 4-5 steps with a pass out of the backfield and it was called incomplete - you see this too often.

7. Leading with the head - how else are you supposed to tackle? Too many perfect form tackles - head to chest - called as penalties.

8. Being penalized after a missed FG - the objective here was to make teams go for it more on 4th down instead of trying long FGs. Long FGs are the only exciting kinds of FGs and thanks to this rule you only see them attempted at the end of a half. To boot (no pun intended), you see more teams go for it - only to go 3-out on the next series of downs and kick a shorter FG. Take a look at how mnay times the # of FGs per season record was broken since this rule was implemented.

Too many rules. Too much for the refs to take in. Most favor the offense. All because the league wants more scoring. Personally, I find the super high scoring games less exciting as there is no "tension" in the games. A 24-21 game is more intense and exciting to me than a 41-38 game in most cases.
    Quote Quote