Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Military Warned to Maintain Readiness as Women Move Toward Combat

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

War Military Warned to Maintain Readiness as Women Move Toward Combat

Women will soon be able to serve in combat, as things officially changed with the stroke of a pen today at the Pentagon.
    At a joint news conference, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta and Joint Chiefs of Staff Charman Gen. Martin Dempsey signed a memorandum rolling back a 1994 directive prohibiting women from doing so.
    "They serve, they're wounded, and they die right next to each other," Panetta said of women and men in the military. "The time has come to recognize that reality.
    "If they're willing to put their lives on the line, then we need to recognize that they deserve a chance," Panetta said, noting that he wants his own granddaughters and grandsons to have the same opportunities in their lives and careers.
    The change won't be immediate, however. While Panetta announced that thousands of new positions will now be open to women, he has asked the military branches to submit plans by May on how to integrate women into combat operations. He set a January 2016 deadline for branches to implement the changes, giving military services time to seek waivers for certain jobs

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/...ry?id=18304323
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Interesting the change in policy and can see the points being made and why most aren't valid.

Combat puts women at unique risk

The most salient point happens to be a feminist argument: Women, because of their inferior physical capacities and greater vulnerabilities upon capture, have a diminished opportunity for survival.
    Yes women's bodies are different, we don't have unisex olympics. As long as the physical standards are not lowered, any who qualify as an infantryman (or infantrywoman) should not be barred for this reason.

The threat to unit cohesion should require no elaboration. But let’s leave that obvious point to pedants and cross into enemy territory where somebody’s 18-year-old daughter has been captured. No one wants to imagine a son in these circumstances either, obviously, but women face special tortures. And, no, the rape of men has never held comparable appeal.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...d5b_story.html

The first part over cohesion, would like to see a study that shows that the women already in the field show a break down a units effectiveness with women already on the periphery of combat. General concerns of mixed interactions are a reality, but this can be at the pentagon just as likely as in the field.

Leaving the last part which is for me is the most salient argument to me even though I admit most of our modern military engagements is asymmetric without conventional "front lines". In addition to the risk to a woman, leaving no man behind takes on a whole new meaning and elevation of risk and need to act when its no woman behind. Will probably be seen as old fashioned sexist that won't to put women back in these...

...but this is why I can see this as not being a good thing.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Military Warned to Maintain Readiness as Women Move Toward Combat

I served in a front-line Airborne Army unit and would not have had a problem with women serving next to me. However, they should have to meet the same physical standards as the men. A lot of the men couldn't make it through the physical aspects of being an infantry man or forward observer.

There are already female pilots and snipers and such. So the transition won't be all that bad.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Some ****ing people have no ****ing idea how these stupid ideas cost lives.

Women serve honorably in the roles they have, which are suited for them.

-Military Police
    -Civil Affairs
    These are quasi-combat roles that put them in harms way. There are women out there
    that are certainly capable, but even the most combat capable woman I've heard record of
    http://www.blackfive.net/main/2005/0...action_re.html
    Still needed male assistance to chuk hand grenades.

All of these examples you will see are of women that are tethered to a support network.
    They are NOT capable of being Infantry, or other combat arms occupations, as a gender.

I also served in the US Army. One of the loud mouthed of their ilk was in PLDC
    with me. She talked ALLLLLL about how blah blah women can blah blah....Well, honey...

Here. Carry the M-60 on the FTX.

She didn't make it a mile.

Part of being on the ****ing sharp end is being able to pick up
    your end and not leave slack. Females leave too much slack.

Thanks Shifty!

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    Some ****ing people have no ****ing idea how these stupid ideas cost lives.

Women serve honorably in the roles they have, which are suited for them.

-Military Police
    -Civil Affairs
    These are quasi-combat roles that put them in harms way. There are women out there
    that are certainly capable, but even the most combat capable woman I've heard record of
    http://www.blackfive.net/main/2005/0...action_re.html
    Still needed male assistance to chuk hand grenades.

All of these examples you will see are of women that are tethered to a support network.
    They are NOT capable of being Infantry, or other combat arms occupations, as a gender.

I also served in the US Army. One of the loud mouthed of their ilk was in PLDC
    with me. She talked ALLLLLL about how blah blah women can blah blah....Well, honey...

Here. Carry the M-60 on the FTX.

She didn't make it a mile.

Part of being on the ****ing sharp end is being able to pick up
    your end and not leave slack. Females leave too much slack.
    You make my point for me...if they can tow the rope, their sex shouldn't matter. However, I have never met a woman that could meet the demands of a light-infantry paratrooper although they should be welcome to try. Give them the opportunity but there should absolutely not be any difference in standards in combat arms...either you can or you can't. Toting 200+ lbs across the desert or jungle is a bitch no mater who you are.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    You make my point for me...if they can tow the rope, their sex shouldn't matter. However, I have never met a woman that could meet the demands of a light-infantry paratrooper although they should be welcome to try. Give them the opportunity but there should absolutely not be any difference in standards in combat arms...either you can or you can't. Toting 200+ lbs across the desert or jungle is a bitch no mater who you are.

I'm all for equal opportunity for equal responsibility and equal lifestyle.

The problem is, when women are inserted into the equasion, the bar
    drops.

It always does. Women already serve in combat. They should not be allowed in echelon 1 units of
    any stripe. Not just in "Division"
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I guess next we will have to allow females to play in the NFL, NBA, MLB , NHL and PGA. I mean really, they contribute and have earned the right to play along side the elite in their field.

It's stupid no matter what level you put it on. Women have served well, but some things are just what they are. And the military is one field where social tinkering can cause more deaths needlessly than any other. That wonderful golden apparatus between a womans legs will always be a mans weak spot.
    At what point do people just realize...its ok to be different?

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

I truly agree with both of your arguments but still think they should be given shot. There are probably not 100 women alive that could handle the physical regimen of front-line combat arms. All of the gung ho GI Janes would weed themselves out and it will be a non-issue. The key is maintaining the standards regardless of sex.

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I truly agree with both of your arguments but still think they should be given shot. There are probably not 100 women alive that could handle the physical regimen of front-line combat arms. All of the gung ho GI Janes would weed themselves out and it will be a non-issue. The key is maintaining the standards regardless of sex.

Take those 100 women, throw them in the same building for a while and let their periods synchronize. Talk about an elite fighting unit.

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Take those 100 women, throw them in the same building for a while and let their periods synchronize. Talk about an elite fighting unit.
    Roger that!

Quote Quote