Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Rotoworld: Phins see smith as "good" not "great", most likely to hit FA

1. -51
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by madmic21 View Post
    Agree with the folks that think signing in the 6-7 ballpark is reasonable. Those who say let him walk, are destined to miss him next year.
    no they are the one's looking for every reason to complain about having another worthless draft. they are already itching to bitch about having zero picks from the 2008 draft. It'll be a major coup in their mind if we don't have any picks from 2009 also.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

2. -52
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    SSmith has always looked decent and primed for impact in practice, TC, and pre-season. He looked good at times this past season against the larger, slower WRs, but again, while he was in position to make plays and get turn overs, he failed to do so. Smaller, faster, quicker WRs give him fits.

Another reason people have soured on him is that he celebrates over any and everything on the field and makes out as though he just closed out the game when he merely made what should be a routine tackle that he made harder than it should be. Usually, a tackle he had to make because he already allowed the completion. Also, his tweets are annoying. The one during the playoffs where he came across as whining about not being able to do what he wants on the field, for instance.

He has had ample opportunities to shine and has failed. The one that sticks this season is that he could have single handedly closed out the Colts game for us if he could have held onto the INT from Luck. Instead he lost yet another one getting overly excited and appearing to be looking to run before securing the ball.

PFF has SSmith with a -3.5 rating and listed as the 49th ranked FA CB out of the 62 on the page: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...t-cornerbacks/

In fairness, he played far more snaps (1068) and was far more targeted than many on that list, but still, just because he wasn't the worst on the team, doesn't make him an average to an above average CB IMO...

He is a FA. Resigning him is little different than signing another, other than the fact that he is known to us. I'd rather sign away a vet from a playoff team (Baltimore, NE, Atl, GB, SF, etc...) and draft a DB or two and see what Coyles and DB postion coaches can do with them. JMO...
    Quote Quote  

3. -53
    Brave Rifles

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I see him as average
    Quote Quote  

4. -54
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This one is a tough call. He's matured since rookie season but is still a bit of a goof. Certainly doesn't remind me of the early '70s guys, which is the criteria I always use.

Not tough and not a playmaker. It reminds me of the stadium situation because I look at our roster and can't envision it being patched toward legit championship caliber. Sign this guy long term and you're virtually conceding one vital spot will be manned by a less than spectacular player, and one with weaknesses.

The salary demand isn't outrageous and you always need good corners. Like I said, tough call. As a gambler I'd probably gamble elsewhere and tear apart, even if the decision flopped. You have to be willing to be wrong.

BTW, I started the opening paragraph thinking I was going to say let's keep him.
    Quote Quote  

5. -55
    ***** in the House!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Philadelphia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm trying to think of one solid play he's made. One that really sticks out in my mind.
    Quote Quote  

6. -56
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by SabanHater View Post
    I'm trying to think of one solid play he's made. One that really sticks out in my mind.
    be a lot easier to start with the opposite list... plays that were there for the taking that he didn't capitalize on... I'd recommend starting with the colts game....
    Quote Quote  

7. -57
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Some people here just like mediocre players. They want to re-sign everyone who has amounted nothing more than 7 wins average the past 4 years just in HOPES that pick was never actually a bust that way they can say "my king Jeff Ireland drafted him and though it took him 8 years to finally develop, he is finally a good player so he is not a bust".
    Quote Quote  

8. -58
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertical Limit View Post
    Some people here just like mediocre players. They want to re-sign everyone who has amounted nothing more than 7 wins average the past 4 years just in HOPES that pick was never actually a bust that way they can say "my king Jeff Ireland drafted him and though it took him 8 years to finally develop, he is finally a good player so he is not a bust".
    some people realize are are NOT going to have superstars at every position, and if you tried, you wouldn't have enough cap money. Smith takes a cap friendly deal, gets a couple more years and if we find someone better we move on. he's not the worst corner in the league, he's servicable. I'd rather focus on drafting another corner grab another safety and focus on the O.
    Quote Quote  

9. -59
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    some people realize are are NOT going to have superstars at every position, and if you tried, you wouldn't have enough cap money. Smith takes a cap friendly deal, gets a couple more years and if we find someone better we move on. he's not the worst corner in the league, he's servicable. I'd rather focus on drafting another corner grab another safety and focus on the O.

I agree with you on most of this. But, SSmith is a FA and there are other FA CBs out there for about the same money. 4 seasons of watching him almost make plays and not closing them out is enough for me. As for the Safeties, Jones has come on and Clemmons is serviceable. I'd rather ride out Clemmons another season or two with an eye for an upgrade in the draft then to commit bank to SSmith who doesn't appear to have bought into the new Defense...
    Quote Quote  

10. -60
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albion NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How about getting an average corner who can catch the ball. For a former wide receiver this guy cant catch a cold. If we overpay for this guy im gonna hurl.
    Quote Quote