Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Rotoworld: Phins see smith as "good" not "great", most likely to hit FA

1. -61
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My take on Sean Smith. Is he worth $6-$7 million a year?....probably not, BUT, it is very difficult finding top shut down corners...there is a reason why the top guys like Revis get paid a lot of money. I am not saying Smith is Revis...he probably will never be close to Revis, but the market price for these guys is quite high....just like for left tackles. I would make Smith a nice competitive offer and if he doesn't take it than we move on and draft a top college CB. I like Dee Milliner of Alabama.
    Quote Quote  

2. -62
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo West CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolph N.Fan View Post
    Yep. Dude is supposed to be a solid veteran corner and he still can't locate the ball. He's too conservative as corner. Afraid to take any chances and jump a route. Loves giving up 12 yard cushions. Sean Smith blows.
    Have you ever thought that he may be playing within the scheme. A lot of teams focus on forcing sustained drives to score. There are many things that can end a drive if you force teams into 10 play drives. Sacks, Penalties, Turnovers. 1 play when your DB is jumping routes can lead to six. Force sustained drives and make teams settle for field goals wins games. Our D was good enough to win more games than we did this year. An offense that can score TDs through the air will bring this to light.

MY FAM
    Quote Quote  

3. -63
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Kevin Coyles 2011 Bengals defense allowed 5.8 Yards per catch, good for 4th best in all the NFL.

This Year we allowed 7.0 yards per catch, so did his system change or the talent?

Sean Smith can go dance and play man somewhere where a big interception isn't needed.
    Quote Quote  

4. -64
    Phin fan since 1970!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We had a K that cost us 2 games and S. Smith cost us a third. Thats 3 wins and a playoff appearance.

Cut them both.
    Quote Quote  

5. -65
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fin-O View Post
    Kevin Coyles 2011 Bengals defense allowed 5.8 Yards per catch, good for 4th best in all the NFL.

This Year we allowed 7.0 yards per catch, so did his system change or the talent?

Sean Smith can go dance and play man somewhere where a big interception isn't needed.
    Agreed, regardless, in today's NFL cornerbacks are in no man's land. It's all about the pass rushing defensive linemen and linebackers. Cornerbacks are getting beat like a drum in this era's fast pace air attack offense, unless their name is Sherman or Revis. The least a cornerback can do is TACKLE, blitz properly and catch interceptions. You know, everything that Vontae Davis is capable of doing.

I was defending Smith up until the half way point of the season, and then he was getting burned by every receiver and there was nothing left for me to defend. He sucks. No championship team would pay him 7 million a year.

Some people here just don't want to let him go for Ireland's list of busts won't be bigger.

7 million for mediocre talent, MEDIOCRE. Like this guy is not Madison nor Surtain, he's garbage and we're giving him 7 million. Okay, that just tells me we have not learned from the past if it goes down and if he gets paid that way.

I saw marginal NFL cornerbacks in this year playoffs that are never going to get 7 million a year and they were still more impressive than Smith.
    Quote Quote  

6. -66
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    And I guarantee that even Ireland sees this and he's going to let Smith test his market just to find out no one's offering more than 4 million per year. Reality is going to suck at the Smith household.

You had the chance to play up to your abilities, be the man at the secondary, be consistent. You showed it the first few games of the season and then you resorted back to your girly tackling ways on a contract year.

This is the same exact reason why Ireland even traded away Vontae, because of inconistency. Doubt he opens the bank for inconsistency.

I can just see the conversation going down like this:

Jeff: Hey boss Sean Smith wants 7 million per year
    Ross: Who's that? Is he a good player?
    Jeff: He was on our team last year as our starting cornerback
    Ross: Really? A cornerback from last year that barely caught any damn interceptions, on a secondary that was burnt often, wants 7 million from me?
    Quote Quote  

7. -67
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Smith is an average to slightly above average cover guy who cannot tackle, cannot guard quick receivers and cannot catch a football.
    Quote Quote  

8. -68
    ALRIGHTTTT MIAMIIIII

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southampton, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    my thing with smith is, who do you guys want to replace him with?

the same people that want to cut smith want to cut richard marshall

do you know how bad our secondary will be if that happens?
    Quote Quote  

9. -69
    Hokies class of 2016

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ford LogoDolphins HomerTannehill 17Snakes!Xbox Logo
    anything to make him leave this team
    Quote Quote  

10. -70
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilElias26 View Post
    my thing with smith is, who do you guys want to replace him with?

the same people that want to cut smith want to cut richard marshall

do you know how bad our secondary will be if that happens?
    We don't need superstars at corner. Just ones that catch a freaking ball that fall in their laps. Any corner gets burned but still can at least tackle and locate the ball and be able to make a play on it is an upgrade over smith and marshall. Marshall sucked when he was healthy, he won't be any good coming off this injury.
    Quote Quote