Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Passing or a run team ?

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Passing or a run team ?

i have been a dolphins fan for over 25 years living in Bflo NY.as a Dolphin fan we have sceen both types of teams.those of you that have been fans since the 70's have sceen the running smash mouth type that beat you up in the trenches.it was a sight to see.this got us the superbowls and the 16-0 season.i watch these games when they come on NFL network and i really enjoy them.CSZONKA,KICK,MORRIS man that was really good football,old time football.they also had Ricky Williams where he led the league in rushing yards and was the MVP of the pro bowl.his first year when he came to miami was one of the best seasons i can remember.teams knew we were going to run it on them and they still could not stop us.we played some good ball with Ricky leading the way but then he flaked out on us and we know how that story ended.
    then we have the Marino driven Dolphins where we threw the ball on 1st,2nd and 3rd down.he brought us some amazing games broke plenty of records along the way and put the team on his back .with no running game or D he was the only reason we got anywhere.sort of like Brady.i loved watching Marino play and knew when he got the ball with over 2 mins left on the clock we would win.
    what team would you enjoy watching these days a running team or a passing team?i know the league has shifted toward a passing team and has put rules in place to help it along but i miss the glory days of smash mouth football.run it up and down all day on you and wear you down.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Running team, no doubt. Love watching the Vikings line it up and do exactly what the D knows they're gonna do, and it still works. The Niners (even before Kaep) are like this too, guards pulling, plowing downhill for Gore and Hunter; now you add the pistol stuff and it's a pretty flashy run game. The only time I like watching the Pats is when they do that hurry-up and get quick handoffs/direct snaps up the middle for big chunks of yards while the D is still scrambling. I can't stand watching Packers or Saints games - too finesse and video gamey. I'd much rather watch a great RB than a great QB.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jax.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Marino has made me a huge fan of the deep pass, and tight throws threaded through a needle. I want Ryan to do this. I am also jealous of Kepernicks running. Ryan can run fast, and like its being said about San Fran- It throws off defenses, and makes them dedicate a man to Colin. That frees up a man covering others.
    My favorite Dolphin to run was Ricky. Watching him punish linebackers, and destroy db's was a delight.
    So, I want it all, running and passing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    DEPRESSED BY REALITY

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CT
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Problem is in today's NFL it's really difficult to keep up with teams that take advantage of the rules which make it far easier to pass. Better have a great defense if you plan on designing a team around the run. 49'ers certainly fit that mold, though they couldn't take the corner until they brought in a QB that could make big plays, albeit some of that is running. Bottom line is the consistently best teams over the last 10-15 years all had a plus QB.

I love a team that can throw the ball, but I agree 100% that it doesn't get much better than watching your team run it down an opponents throat when the game is on the line.
    Quote Quote