Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WR Production: Hartline v's the Big 3 FA's

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

WR Production: Hartline v's the Big 3 FA's

We've heard a lot of the 'playmaker' word from Ireland recently on both sides of the ball - for the moment though I'm just going to look at the WR end of playmaking.

And for me... playmaking = productivity and one of our biggest weaknesses this past season was our WR corp getting in the end zone.

Now, I really like Hartline as a WR... good player, nice routes, pretty good hands and does make some acrobatic sideline efforts also... however, to me in the overall picture of top level WR productivity he's only a 'nice' player and therefore in my view is not worth the money he's reportedly after.

In looking at the productivity of Hartline versus the big 3, I've looked at Avg and TD:Catch ratio

Wallace 235 - 17.2 - 32td TD:Catch = 1:7.3
    Jennings 425 - 15.4 - 53td TD:Catch = 1:8.01
    Bowe 415 - 13.8 - 39td TD:Catch = 1:10.6

And...
    Hartine 183 - 15.0 - 6td TD:Catch = 1:30.5

Facts speak for themselves really.

So, question is - if some of us here who are saying that we could be targeting at least one of the big 3 FA's... do we let Hartline go and use those monies along with some more from the pot of CAP available and to try and grab a 2nd?

Thoughts???

Oh, and I'd look to go after DeAndre Hopkins in the 2nd round... kid could be that explosive 3rd WR and he clearly can produce when the pressure is on, not only in the bowl game but considering Sammy Watkins was out early on, the pressure really was on him and he produced big time.

EDIT - oops, put it in the wrong forum - MOD's feel free to shift. Ta.
    Pat
    Offensive Coordinator
    www.londonblitz.com
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    if hartline wants too much, let him walk. then sign jennings and draft 2 wr's within the first 3 rounds.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thats only one fact really.

Hartline is a #2 or 3. Nobody in creation is saying Hartline is a #1 receiver in this league. Was never drafted as such.

Why cant you keep Hartline and get one of these guys? I dont get the "he is not worth that money" when he is asking half what these guys will be asking.

If BB gets ahold of this guy, you can bet he will score TD's. He will then trade Loyd who was a bit underwhelming. BB knows Hartline is smart and will pick up the offense and then use him to beat us.

This guy is in tune with Tannehill, Bess has been injured the last couple years at end of season with a serious knee injury. Hartline has been more consistent than any receiver I have seen since OJ Mcduffie. The guy who is underperforming to me is Bess.

Wallace is a bit of a disgruntled guy. This is why he was in the doghouse, regardless of what any reporter tells you. Wallace demanded big money, they said no, and he then went and pulled his hammy or whatever it was, and then didnt make another big play until late in season. Then Pittsburgh didnt make the playoffs.

Its not that I disagree with the points made about Hartline in scoring TD's, but its not like our offense these last 15 years was every anything a player like Hartline would score a lot of TD's in anyways, especially since Marshall was here, who only had 5 his last year I believe.

So people are willing to spend 10 mil on one of these guys, who dont know our offense or are 30 years old, but not willing to keep Hartline, a guy who makes plays all the time and who could be an outstanding #2 along with other playmakers until one of our young rookies comes along.

Another last point, no contract has to be 4 or 5 years, we could offer a 2-3 year deal like Soliai signed a couple years ago.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You say "facts" but then post ONE stat that demonstrates the one point you want to show off. Silly.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Whilst you're only showing one "fact", I tend to agree with you. I would however keep him as a number 2 receiver for the right price. I want Bowe.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    Thats only one fact really.

Hartline is a #2 or 3. Nobody in creation is saying Hartline is a #1 receiver in this league. Was never drafted as such.

Why cant you keep Hartline and get one of these guys? I dont get the "he is not worth that money" when he is asking half what these guys will be asking.

If BB gets ahold of this guy, you can bet he will score TD's. He will then trade Loyd who was a bit underwhelming. BB knows Hartline is smart and will pick up the offense and then use him to beat us.

This guy is in tune with Tannehill, Bess has been injured the last couple years at end of season with a serious knee injury. Hartline has been more consistent than any receiver I have seen since OJ Mcduffie. The guy who is underperforming to me is Bess.

Wallace is a bit of a disgruntled guy. This is why he was in the doghouse, regardless of what any reporter tells you. Wallace demanded big money, they said no, and he then went and pulled his hammy or whatever it was, and then didnt make another big play until late in season. Then Pittsburgh didnt make the playoffs.

Its not that I disagree with the points made about Hartline in scoring TD's, but its not like our offense these last 15 years was every anything a player like Hartline would score a lot of TD's in anyways, especially since Marshall was here, who only had 5 his last year I believe.

So people are willing to spend 10 mil on one of these guys, who dont know our offense or are 30 years old, but not willing to keep Hartline, a guy who makes plays all the time and who could be an outstanding #2 along with other playmakers until one of our young rookies comes along.

Another last point, no contract has to be 4 or 5 years, we could offer a 2-3 year deal like Soliai signed a couple years ago.
    Hartline is not potentially a better #2 than Patterson, nor a better #4 than an Austin (who will cost millions less). Not to mention, we already have a #3 in Bess. We have Matthews and Binn to be the #5. Unless they are planning on trading Bess to use his savings to sign Hartline, he has no place on the 2013 roster. Period. All the re-sign Hartline guys.......PLEASE STOP IT! You guys are making no damn sense. Stop it. Really, stop it.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    hartline is an average # 2 at best and a good # 3. we could probably find someone else in the draft who has more talent and upside than hartline and is also less expensive.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The use of the word 'facts' in this circumstance does not pertain to the statement of intent, it refers to the 'statistics' that I have listed to back up said statement of intent. As a result of using the plural form of statistic, therefore requires the word 'fact' to be pluralised. Therefore, in this case, the use of the word 'facts', is in 'fact'.... correct!

Thank you very much - I'm here all week

EDIT - my bad on the 'personal attack' wasn't meant as one
    Last edited by Pat-London; 01-28-2013 at 07:18 AM.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    still only one fact.

besides, it doesnt matter what i think. word is they are letting all of them test free agency. which i have no problem with. total rebuild. dont any of you get all too excited for FA. you will be dissapointed.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i would keep Hartline, he is good at the sideline and go patterns. He will sign for less than his demands to stay...IMHO
    Bess is disappointing to me. He has great hands, but no size and speed. A classic over achiever. We could use an upgrade in the slot that can take it to the house as well as an Alpha #1 receiver.
    Binns and Mathews are complimentary guys, not go to guys.
    Quote Quote