Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alec Ogletree at 12

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Alec Ogletree at 12

Haven't heard Ogletree's name much on finheaven at 12th overall, but at this point he'd be my pick if available (I have a feeling he'll go top-10 after the combine). He just jumps off the screen: awesome bowl game, good SEC champ game. Former safety (was the #1 rated HS FS) who grew late and has the frame to fill out some. Just a great athlete, 6'3 235. Sideline-to-sideline movement his big strength, pursues and hits hard in the run game, can play 3 downs, played inside at UGA but likely outside in NFL, great nose for the ballcarrier, uses athleticism to weave around blocks, and his coverage skills are strong being a former DB (he started 5 games at safety for UGA). Can probably handle most TEs in coverage, and I wouldn't bet against him becoming a legit edge-rush threat when called upon.

I realize LB is not one of our big needs. But we have flexibility in Free Agency and 4 picks between rounds 2 and 3, making me comfortable considering him at 12. Seeing what Kuechly does for Carolina, I'd love Ogletree's versatile presence in the front-7. The worry is that he'll just look like a safety in the box. But I think with a move outside and 10lbs, he'll be holding his own on inside runs.

Skip to :40 to bypass the intro. Maybe mute it too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24FvP-tyyTs

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Twitches Brew; 01-27-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm an ally! Would strongly consider Ogletree at 12. It's a little high maybe- I'd prob put him at 20-25, but if Patterson is gone, it's between him, Eifert, Cooper and Banks. FA will help iron that out for me.

i think he's a special talent. Some people will claim tweener safety/LB type never work out, but this kid has the frame to be a fulltime LB.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I confess I have only watched but just a little but IMO to take a LB with our first pick when we have such bigger holes to fill would be not a good decision.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Shreveport,La
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matt11390 View Post
    I confess I have only watched but just a little but IMO to take a LB with our first pick when we have such bigger holes to fill would be not a good decision.
    this type of thinking will hold you back...unless its a QB,you should take bpa at this range and if he's the bpa,I wouldn't be upset at all.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kloud_9 View Post
    this type of thinking will hold you back...unless its a QB,you should take bpa at this range and if he's the bpa,I wouldn't be upset at all.
    I just don't see him being the BPA at that spot.

I can see why a lot of people like him....he's a great athlete, fast, long, hits hard and can cover. But to me, he's not a ILB. He should be on the weakside where he's allowed to attack.....that's where he's at his best. The problem i see with him is instincts. The really good middle backers see the blocks in front of them and flow. They read their keys and know where to go. Ogletree bounces around in place and waits to see the ball.....then he attacks. In the NFL, that slight delay will allow a big guard to get up in his face to block him. And if you watch, he sometimes struggles getting off those blocks. I'm intrigued by him athletically, but i would not consider him at 12. He's not the same as Luke Kuechly or Patrick Willis at this point in his career, but he has potential.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He's a good linebacker yes, but as the game turns to a more wide open passing game, 4-3 linebackers have less impact on the game.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Derrick Brooks upside.

I'd favor Cooper, but I wouldn't be mad at getting a player like that.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Teo is a better linebacker, especially for the inside. I'm not sure I want Miami even considering LBers with anything before the 4th, however
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He is a very good MLB, but as they say,"We have bigger fish to fry."
    Last edited by DKphin; 01-28-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That was a heck of a catch he had on that onside kick. Remember too, he has played less than 2 seasons as a LB.
    Quote Quote