Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Roto: Long wants at least 10 mill annually

1. -101
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
    Proven Pro Bowl LT. You keep from adding to a list of positions to address by unknowns that can just as much tear an ACL in TC and then laugh at your shortsightedness to the bank. Part of securing Ireland's legacy (the one making the decisions) must you really ask such a seemingly senseless question? People need to be objective. Look at things as if through Ireland's eyes. Long is most definitely a "must bring back" as anyone else on the roster that's a FA.
    Actually, its pretty universally accepted among most that Long has not played at his previous All-Pro level lately and injuries are increasingly becoming an issue.

LT is an overrated position. Im not saying you can have a guy that blows there and be successful. Im just saying that the difference betwen having an all-pro LT and an above average LT is not as pronounced as the difference between an all-pro corner, S, WR, TE, or DE and an above average replacement. An o-line is more about the sum of the parts than it is about having a few elite players. If Long was healthy and playing like he used to, Id consider 10M even though its pricey for an OL. Now, with what Long actually is these days, I wouldnt even consider giving him 10M

Quote Quote  

2. -102
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    when you restructure contracts to get to $60 mil of cap space which i'm sure miami could do if they wanted to you are potentially putting yourself in a worse cap situation down the road...restructure usually involves more guaranteed money in the deal which is why the player is willing to renegotiate in the first place...all your adding is more liability potentially if you tag jake long and pay him that god awful $15.3 mil for one year coming off what he has done the last 2 years and then hand more guaranteed money to your high cap hit players which usually consist of your aging veterans to produce more cap space...

miami has $45 mil right now...don't make dumb decisions like tagging jake long for a 3rd of it and don't get hood winked into any bad contracts with your existing not really elite difference making potential in house free agents and you should be fine to add some truly difference making talent this offseason...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

3. -103
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Actually, its pretty universally accepted among most that Long has not played at his previous All-Pro level lately and injuries are increasingly becoming an issue.

LT is an overrated position. Im not saying you can have a guy that blows there and be successful. Im just saying that the difference betwen having an all-pro LT and an above average LT is not as pronounced as the difference between an all-pro corner, S, WR, TE, or DE and an above average replacement. An o-line is more about the sum of the parts than it is about having a few elite players. If Long was healthy and playing like he used to, Id consider 10M even though its pricey for an OL. Now, with what Long actually is these days, I wouldnt even consider giving him 10M
    Very well said.

Quote Quote  

4. -104
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    when you restructure contracts to get to $60 mil of cap space which i'm sure miami could do if they wanted to you are potentially putting yourself in a worse cap situation down the road...restructure usually involves more guaranteed money in the deal which is why the player is willing to renegotiate in the first place...all your adding is more liability potentially if you tag jake long and pay him that god awful $15.3 mil for one year coming off what he has done the last 2 years and then hand more guaranteed money to your high cap hit players which usually consist of your aging veterans to produce more cap space...

miami has $45 mil right now...don't make dumb decisions like tagging jake long for a 3rd of it and don't get hood winked into any bad contracts with your existing not really elite difference making potential in house free agents and you should be fine to add some truly difference making talent this offseason...
    Nice how you ignore the "if we needed to but we don't" part. Tagging Long does nothing to affect "long term liability" to the team cap as a tag is merely a one year contract. So your argument made no sense whatsoever with how you made it.
    Quote Quote  

5. -105
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    miami could sign 2 high end free agents if they wanted to this offseason with that $15.3 mil tag number for jake long...and i'm not talking about ones trending down and broken down the last 2 years either...

handing a guy $15.3 mil after the way things have gone with jake long the last 2 years is a liability in itself...and really poor cap management...the guys play even when healthy doesn't come close to that level return...

anyways agree to disagree i guess...i think irelands a clown if he tags jake long for that #...just how i see it...not gonna change...i sure hope he's smarter than that
    Quote Quote  

6. -106
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    sad what money does to people. Id love to demand double what I currently earn, but id be fired if I did. Mr. Deeds
    Every Republican's worst nightmare: http://truepoizonblogs.blogspot.com/...lican-who.html
    Quote Quote  

7. -107
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Keep long if he wants to take a paycut....But not at 10 mill a year. Hell no. Goodbye long.
    "Five yards is my life!" - Don Shula to a referee who had told Shula to quit arguing, that the penalty he just called was only five yards
    Quote Quote  

8. -108
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Between Long, Bush and Hartline, I think Hartline is the most obvious to come back. I like Long and glad we finally nailed a 1st rounder for once, but I see the downslope of his career accelerating. We can fill a LOT of positions with his money. I think we have enough talent on the OLine to allow Long to walk and be too impacted by his loss. We'll need a T in the draft.

Hartline has chemistry with RT. Quite honestly, I think he's earned his money and has shown he can be a #2 or whatever in this system. Get Jennings, draft his eventual replacement and I think we are starting to give RT some much needed help.

Bush is completely replaceable. Use Miller and draft another RB.

Then we've got a lot of money and picks to take a big step forward in year 2 and beyond.

This is no time to get sentimental with Long and Bush. Give Philbin his players. This year is the BEST chance to really rebuild this team. And we can't drag our feet. We have a young QB, build around him fast and get the most out of his career.
    Quote Quote