Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Roto: Long wants at least 10 mill annually

1. -91
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
    You raised one point and then argued a different one. What kind of splash do you think Miami is planning on making? Do you think we are planning on signing Jennings, Bowe, Wallace, Bennett, Byrd, Flacco, Clady, Cromartie, Cook, Reed, and a Keller to boot? No. Miami is likely signing one big name receiver and a few mid tier guys. Maybe one more big name guy, tops. Long's tag number will do absolutely nothing to impede that. With a few restructured contracts Miami can have up to $60mil if they so needed. Long's contract is merely a long term vs franchise tag vs can we net us a good pick by doing so ordeal. Affecting us signing the players we need this offseason? Uh, uh. None.
    You realize we have a long list of our own FAs that we may want to resign, right?

I dont care if we let Hartline walk, but Ill take Hartline and Smith over Jake Long at this point and Smith and Hartline combined would only cost a few million more than the 10M a year Jake wants. I dont know what Starks is looking for, but Id definitely pay him over Long as well.

Quote Quote  

2. -92
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    I'm not mad that he wants more money.

We all want more money. Doesn't mean that we're worth it or that we should get it.
    And I agree. My post wasn't intended to say that the Dolphins should be paying Long 10 million dollars, and I believe that's pretty obvious. Frankly I don't care, if someone has an opinion about it and that opinion is at least semi-thought out - they're entitled to think that. However, there are people in this thread and over this site that are directing anger (or whatever you want to call it) toward Long for wanting more money. They're saying he's not a team player, he's selfish, he's delusional, etc. My irritation is with those acting flippantly towards a player who otherwise has given 100% for the team based on a report from a single internet site.
    Quote Quote  

3. -93
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would see how he looks medically. If he looks good I would roll the dice and franchise him for a year. The franchise tag is roughly 9.5 mill a year and it looks like the phins are willing to pay him 7 mill a year. This would give us a little more time to groom a replacement possibly Martin.
    Quote Quote  

4. -94
    BELIEVE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Golden State
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    1972 Dolphins LogoSnakes!Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Let's see....2 guys seeking 10 million dollars....Jake Long or Mike Wallace?

I'm goin' with the playmaker.
    I just try to be myself, whatever that is. I don't think about how I'll be remembered. I just want to be consistent over a long period of time. That's what the great players do.
    -Dan Marino
    Quote Quote  

5. -95
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2413fanphins View Post
    I think that tells me he'll be back... he wants 10 mil per, we probably offerred 6-7 million per year... they will settle around 8-8.5 a year.

I acctually think the exact opposite. I think this is a move by his agent to prepare him for FA. I wonder if Philbin is not that high on him in a zone blocking system and probably has him valued low and using those unused cap resources on rebuilding other areas. Maybe planning on sliding Martin into the LT postion and thinking thats good enough if Long is unwilling to sign for something around 6 mil. This may be a matter of that and Long knowing he is hitting FA market wants to start his asking price @ 10 million and hopes that he gets that or more.

I dont know the bears cap space but im thinking they might be a top target for Long.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."
    Frederic Bastiat
    Quote Quote  

6. -96
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    You realize we have a long list of our own FAs that we may want to resign, right?

I dont care if we let Hartline walk, but Ill take Hartline and Smith over Jake Long at this point and Smith and Hartline combined would only cost a few million more than the 10M a year Jake wants. I dont know what Starks is looking for, but Id definitely pay him over Long as well.
    I'm not going to repeat myself on the fact we can easily clear up as much as $60mil if we needed. We aren't re-signing every FA we have. Only Long, Bush, and Smith are "must bring backs". Starks would basically be a luxury as we have Odrick and can easily re-sign McDaniel and the draft is deep at DE. Clemons won't be hard to re-sign if we want to either. We won't even "need" to restructure any contracts and we'll still have cap space leftover after signing a big name like Jennings and a Cook. If we indeed release Marshall and restructure Patterson, we may even sign a CB and still have cap space torrollover next year. We're not as hard up as you guys pretend. Long's tag number or long term deal is no problem. People just complain because you want to for whatever psychological reason. But it isn't because we'd have a cap issue because we wouldn't.
    Quote Quote  

7. -97
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
    I'm not going to repeat myself on the fact we can easily clear up as much as $60mil if we needed. We aren't re-signing every FA we have. Only Long, Bush, and Smith are "must bring backs". Starks would basically be a luxury as we have Odrick and can easily re-sign McDaniel and the draft is deep at DE. Clemons won't be hard to re-sign if we want to either. We won't even "need" to restructure any contracts and we'll still have cap space leftover after signing a big name like Jennings and a Cook. If we indeed release Marshall and restructure Patterson, we may even sign a CB and still have cap space torrollover next year. We're not as hard up as you guys pretend. Long's tag number or long term deal is no problem. People just complain because you want to for whatever psychological reason. But it isn't because we'd have a cap issue because we wouldn't.
    How is Long a "must bring back?"
    Quote Quote  

8. -98
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    How is Long a "must bring back?"
    Proven Pro Bowl LT. You keep from adding to a list of positions to address by unknowns that can just as much tear an ACL in TC and then laugh at your shortsightedness to the bank. Part of securing Ireland's legacy (the one making the decisions) must you really ask such a seemingly senseless question? People need to be objective. Look at things as if through Ireland's eyes. Long is most definitely a "must bring back" as anyone else on the roster that's a FA.
    Quote Quote  

9. -99
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would even say "so is Bush". Bush is just as much a must bring back and Thomas should be traded.
    Quote Quote  

10. -100
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Being a pro bowl anything is not important..

Long is not worth 10 million, hell no LT is.

Quote Quote