Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: The Riddell 360 And...

1. -1
    '72 Perfection!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks

Tech The Riddell 360 And...

...concussion prevention.

Link.

Anything that can prevent head injuries is fine by me. Your thoughts?

Admin: If you can allow this thread to remain in this part of the board would indeed be a good thing. Why? Because here - this section of the forum - is where most of the members congregate and I want most to comment on this issue. Keep this thread here for a good while before switching it to another area please. Just this once. Thank you.
    -

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The only thing that is going to prevent concussions with the rules we have in place
    now proper tackling.

Personally, I advocate a "No helmet" NFL.

I spent about 9 years playing organized football with pads,
    helmets, etc and I had four concussions that I remember.

I spent about 27 years playing sandlot football, and I don't remember a single concussion.

If we want to make football really safe? Play without pads.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Lets also understand the forces at play here. Every one of them is playing with an agenda, and I promise you,
    not one of them, the NFLPA included, is worried about "safety".

That would include the players themselves.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The first and easiest thing the league can do is make mouthguards mandatory: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2314899

The second thing they should do is use the sensors college programs are testing and have mandatory rest periods depending on the severity of the force measured.

The third and most difficult solution is slow the game down by using natural grass or artificial turf engineered to keep the speed of runners to a certain max level.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    The first and easiest thing the league can do is make mouthguards mandatory: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2314899

The second thing they should do is use the sensors college programs are testing and have mandatory rest periods depending on the severity of the force measured.

The third and most difficult solution is slow the game down by using natural grass or artificial turf engineered to keep the speed of runners to a certain max level.
    How about;

-No bull**** arbitraty sensors
    -Nothing but natural grass surfaces
    -No pads
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As a 7,8,9 yr old Pop Warner coach it is my opinion that improved helmet technology is certainly welcomed but if players continue to drop their heads on contact there will continue to be head injuries. I stress to my kids that neck benders, as I call them, do not play football very long. I have "head up" so drilled into my son that he mocks head droppers. During the Patriots vs Ravens championship game a Patriot running back was knocked out as he dropped his head on contact creating a helmet to helmet blow. I had my son watch that replay on the DVR maybe twenty times, repeating to him this is why we do not drop our head.

USA Football and the Heads Up orginization are trying to institute a new tackling method that is designed to limit contact with your head. http://videos.usafootball.com/pages/tackleprogression/
    There are many doubters about this method but everyone better get used to it because the old way of just telling the kids to get low does not work. Kids do not know what that means, they cannot help but drop their heads on contact.

I am currently recruiting for next years team and the number of parents who are saying no to football has skyrocketed. I would not let my own son play if I was not confident that he knows the proper techniques. The NFL and youth orginizations need to get on top of this faster before they have no younger players left coming up.
    Last edited by TraderJoe; 01-28-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Adelaide, Australia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    The only thing that is going to prevent concussions with the rules we have in place
    now proper tackling.

Personally, I advocate a "No helmet" NFL.

I spent about 9 years playing organized football with pads,
    helmets, etc and I had four concussions that I remember.

I spent about 27 years playing sandlot football, and I don't remember a single concussion.

If we want to make football really safe? Play without pads.
    That's a really interesting theory, is it something that a lot of people in America feel?

I'm in Australia, and Australian football is pretty famous for not using helmets or pads

Both codes of Rugby are the same

There are definitely concussion issues but players are a lot more careful about where they put their head in my experience than in American football.

Helmets are great for stopping skull and facial injuries but not nearly as good for stopping concussions. If you don't want a concussion, don't get hit in the head, regardless of what you have protecting it.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bring back the old leather helmets, and the old sewn on patches that were used as padding waaay back when.....but we all know that wont happen. So...how bout you make these defenders "wrap up" instead of just launching themselves. automatic 15 yarder for failure to use proper technique. Taking off the face mask would probably help keep players from leading with the helmet, rather than their shoulder, and wrapping up.
    Quote Quote