Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lane Johnson

1. -21
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    well there ya go! Solidify that LT spot and be done with it! onward to cb/wr.

would be nice to trade down. be saying that forever.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    carradine may not even suit up in 2013...even if he does pull a miracle and be a full go come training camp you're pretty much looking at 18 months before he's 100 percent again...too risky at #12...

mingo is gonna blow the doors off the combine in a few weeks and any 2nd round stuff will be out the window...i'll take a situational rusher with those physical tools who's light in the pants right now any day with that pick...especially one that can play with his hand in the dirt...and has that kind of acceleration change of direction closing speed and hips...

i bet he comes to the combine at 250 lbs or more...
    2013 is just one year, in the grande scheme of things. There's a lot more 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018's than there are 2013's. If you're taking a guy higher because of 2013, you're going to love patting yourself on the back for that one year, but you're going to hate taking the criticism for the next five.

In the end, taking Mingo over Carridine can't be about 2013. It's got to be because you think Mingo is better.

I do not.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    also when i look at mingo and lane johnson i don't look at them as what they are right now although they ooze rediculous tools...i look at what they are in 2 years from now...and i see filthy 315 lb left tackle with the best feet maybe in the game with johnson and double digit pass rush impact who makes game changing plays in mingo who as a 43 de carries 260 lbs well...
    With Mingo, that's true. You can't afford to look at what he is right now because what he is right now is not all that great of a football player. It's all about the p-word...potential. He could be great. He really could be. Somewhere down the road.

But with Lane Johnson I'm absolutely looking at what he is right now. He's a batteries-included player that should be good right off the bat.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I hope there's meat on the bone with Olivier Vernon. But I saw none in 2012. He just couldn't win...at all. You've got to be able to go match up on a player and win sometimes. I hate to invoke Bill Parcells into this but the whole "if they don't bite as pups they don't bite" thing comes to mind. He's clearly a nice motor player that has strong hands and can play the run. But does he WIN against blockers in pass rush? Almost never.

If you draft Barkevious Mingo, kiss Olivier Vernon's ass goodbye as far as trying to see if there's any meat on the bone with him as a pass rusher. He's on the shelf. If he's not, then Mingo is, and that would be an even bigger shame...because that's what Mingo would be here to do.

I don't know that you have to reach to replace Olivier Vernon. I think you can do it, if you're smart, at more bargain levels. Another Cornelius, this one being Cornelius Washington, is the SPITTING IMAGE of Mark Anderson back in the day. He was highly, highly impressive at the Senior Bowl practices, and during the game itself where he made every bit as much an impact as Ezekiel Ansah. Watching Washington on film you're not going to have any illusions of him being some great all-around player with varied responsibilities on three downs in a multiple style defense. That's what he was at Georgia but it's also the reason he came to the Senior Bowl as a totally unknown quantity even though he played for a major school like Georgia. But one thing you can imagine him doing is putting that hand on the ground and just exploding into offensive tackles in pass rush on appropriate passing downs. You put him in the game to help you close out an opponent that needs to score in order to come back or try and win the game.

If Miami doesn't draft Cornelius Washington, I know that at some point the Seattle Seahawks will come hunting for him.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    also when i look at mingo and lane johnson i don't look at them as what they are right now although they ooze rediculous tools...i look at what they are in 2 years from now...and i see filthy 315 lb left tackle with the best feet maybe in the game with johnson and double digit pass rush impact who makes game changing plays in mingo who as a 43 de carries 260 lbs well...

couldn't agree more.

can't imagine watching mingo and not coming away salivating.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As of right now, Mingo is all potential and little production. I recognize him as a could be, but I'd be much more interested in drafting a higher probability than a coin flip at #12.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

Re: Lane Johnson

Mingo wont get past the Jets, Ryan will love him.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    next generation

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rottenchester
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    Mingo wont get past the Jets, Ryan will love him.
    Let him have him. I couldn't care less about this supposed potential with Mingo. At this point he's just not a very good football player. He's a specialty player that isn't even very good at his specialty. If you're going to be a one trick pony you better be damn good at the trick...Mingo isn't. Fall in love with his "potential" all you want. Give me football players. I'll take the Zach Thomas's and beat your Mike Mamula work out warriors everytime
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like Mingo but I don't know how you take a fairly one-dimensional guy that isn't very well proven at that one dimension all the way up at #12 overall. It just strikes me as off in some way. You can do it, there's always going to be circumstances that maybe get in the way and you can take account of them...but at #12 overall? Seems risky.

If you're taking a guy like that, one dimensional that isn't well proven in his one dimension, I say wait a round, go for a Corey Lemonier...or wait a couple of rounds, go for a Cornelius Washington.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    what a poor guy to compare mingos potential to...mike mamula...good grief...as for a coin flip with kiko mingo i don't see it that way at all...jpp who i realize has more weight etc was not a dominant pass rush force in college neither was jj watt...but what they both had and have is rediculous tools...you can bet on guys with average tools and high en production all you want...looking around the league the guys with the elite tools like a von miller like a cam wake from a explosion and burst aspect like a jj watt like a jpp who destroys people with his quickness and his length and not so much his rush repertoire are the kind of stuff i'm taking a chance on with a top 12 pick

give me the elite edge rush physical tools i'll mold the guy into a difference maker...the way i look at things...if you don't possess em the chances you'll be truly elite become an uphill climb imo...

did you guys watch the lsu bowl game??? mingo showed off lateral agility and shot the gap so fast on the first run play on the edge the pulling guard could never even lay a hand on him...that's not average...that's special...forced a fumble on a play he practically took the hand off himself he was so quick and explosive...he's not undersized he's 6 ft 5 and vines for arms...gets off the ball with a hand in the dirt better than any edge rush prospect in this class...fires off the ball...

as for cornelius washington my problem with himis he's really been underwhelming for me when i have watched georgia tape...kind of just a guy...not popped off the screen...so when i see a guy not really show much all season and then explode on the scene in a all star setting there's a bit of a red flag for me there...but i think the mark anderson comparison off what i saw senior bowl week looks like a pretty good one...i'm not opposed to burning a 3rd round pick on the kids upside as a situational rusher...an awful lot of potential without production with washington
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote